XML Events Working Draft Last Call

  • Arnold, Curt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001
      A last call working draft for XML Events (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-events/) was published on 26 Oct 2001 with review period continuing till 30 November 2001 (2359Z to be precise). From the Working
      Draft:

      Abstract
      The XML Events module defined in this specification provides XML languages with the ability to uniformly integrate event listeners and associated event handlers with Document Object Model (DOM) Level
      2 event interfaces [DOM2]. The result is to provide an interoperable way of associating behaviors with document-level markup.

      The working draft came out of the HTML WG (previously called XHTML Events) and had not been on my radar. I have been able to find a mention of in xmlhack.com
      (http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1418) on 21 Oct 2001 in response to the 16 October 2001 WD (first to be called XML Events) and only 10 days later it is upgraded to Last Call.

      XML Events would be of particular interest to the SVG community as it proposes a mechanism to declaratively associate behaviors (identified by a URI) with event targets for all XML technologies.

      I was definitely troubled by what appeared to be a lack of coordination with the DOM Events Recommendation and SVG (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2001OctDec/0061.html). My
      discussion about <object> in that message might not be appropriately thought out.