Re: [svg-developers] Wrox Pro XML 2e Pg 800

  • AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2001
      In a message dated 29/10/01 14:15:05 GMT Standard Time, phillipdj@...
      writes:

      > > Is there
      > >anyone who tries the example at page 800 (Creating SVG using XSLT) ?
      > >When I run the example, the only thing I get is TEXT, while the book
      > >shows some beautiful graphics...
      > >I installed the Adobe viewer + MSXML (I am using Internet Explorer
      > >6).
      >
      > I've just tried the example you were having problems with. I too
      > found that if you just open QuarterlySales2.xml the only out put is
      > text. I suspect that this is something to do with the mimetype, and
      > or IE6 not knowing that HorizBarvXSLT.xsl is creating an SVG document
      > so it is just displaying it as text. I will try to find out more
      > about this and then get back to you.

      With Internet Explorer 5.5 and 5.0 (with MSXML3 installed) you cannot simply
      load an XML file which has an associated XSLT stylesheet (which creates SVG)
      as in the example that is being referred to and expect an SVG image to be
      displayed.

      It is necessary to create the SVG file from the command line such as the one
      Phill illustrated in his post in order to create a static SVG file. That SVG
      file will then display in IE or Netscape assuming that an Adobe SVG Viewer
      plugin has been correctly installed.

      I believe you can overcome the problem using IE "behaviors" but I can't
      supply the details of syntax to achieve that.

      I hope that helps.

      Andrew Watt