RE: Re: UUgle Map of Pologonia

  • fhemsher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2013
       I think I should consider making this cross-browser:)...I just can't do this myself UGH! Is there anyone out there with an interest in such a task? Contact me off list, thanks Francis

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > When I go it says "This is an Internet Explorer web application." So, you've lost me at the start. Why would you build an app in SVG that only works in IE? IE is about as popular as syphilis these days.

      I know well IE's characteristics required to build and introduce this web app.

      To make it cross-browser at this time, which to me is an agonizing task, is not worth the effort.

      Of course, if it gains serious traction, I'll hire someone to make it cross-browser.
    • fhemsher
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2013

        I finally decided to address the cross-browser issue, and found why firefox was such a problem...I had no issues with Opera.

        Both Opera and IE natively find elements that contain an id value.( divs, buttons ,text,  etc), which are considered public.  Firefox however requires that the code specifically request an element that has the needed id. e.g.

         var myElement=document.getElementById("myElementIDValue")

        So my cross-browser issues have mostly gone away... A few cosmetic changes still required.

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

         I think I should consider making this cross-browser:)...I just can't do this myself UGH! Is there anyone out there with an interest in such a task? Contact me off list, thanks Francis

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > When I go it says "This is an Internet Explorer web application." So, you've lost me at the start. Why would you build an app in SVG that only works in IE? IE is about as popular as syphilis these days.

        I know well IE's characteristics required to build and introduce this web app.

        To make it cross-browser at this time, which to me is an agonizing task, is not worth the effort.

        Of course, if it gains serious traction, I'll hire someone to make it cross-browser.
      • David Dailey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2013
          /offlist

          Hi Francis,

          My own experience has been that developing to work in both Opera and IE/ASV wasn’t too difficult since they both supported most of the SVG spec. Hence one didn’t need to spend hours fiddling with things only to determine that the browser didn’t do it yet. Gradually FF came to support many things as well (with Chrome and Safari lagging behind by a few years). The problem used to be though, that things that would work in Opera and IE and FF would later stop working in FF since the FF team would decide to either take a more rigid interpretation the spec or decide that some part of the spec was a bad idea in the first place. Now, of course, Opera has taken a giant step backward by abandoning all the good work they had done in SVG and now they are slightly more broken, it seems, than Chrome. With IE deciding finally to support SVG but not SMIL or SVG fonts, it handles scripted SVG quite well (and even handles a lot of filter stuff as long as there is no SMIL). I find myself very frustrated with Opera’s backward movement, Firefox’s recalcitrance about not supporting anything that isn’t 100% kosher, Chrome’s sluggishness to implement advanced features, and Apple and Microsoft’s general attitude of not really liking SVG in the first place. My frustration with the browsers and the SVG Working Group is rather high at the moment.

          Cheers

          David

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013

            Obviously an apology is in order. I was intending this venting of frustration to be considerably more private.

            Sorry to any and all.

            David