San Diego svg group?

  • george
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 16, 2013
      Greetings to all.
      I am interested in getting started creating maps in svg.
      Is there a group which meets in San Diego County?
      Thanks
      George

    • Francis Hemsher
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
        > Greetings to all.
        > I am interested in getting started creating maps in svg.
        > Is there a group which meets in San Diego County?
        > Thanks
        > George

        Hey George,
        I lived in San Diego for about 30 years: La Jolla, Julian, Mesa Grande, Palomar Mountain..etc.
        Great and diverse place.

        I don't live there now, but would be glad to share some svg mapping ideas. Feel free to contact me off list.

        Regards,
        Francis
      • jamesd
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
          I thought I was the only one in San Diego that knew what SVG is. No groups as far as I know. If you start one you'll probably be stuck with only me interested in attending.

          James

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "george" <geoh88@...> wrote:

          > Greetings to all.
          > I am interested in getting started creating maps in svg.
          > Is there a group which meets in San Diego County?
          > Thanks
          > George

        • Jason Barnabas
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2013
            I'm in Sac; however, I have found a number of useful groups
            in Sac using meetup.com. Starting a meetup is inexpensive
            and those already hooked in with meetup could include some
            who are interested in SVG.

            From: jamesd <jcdeering1@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20, 2013
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher" <fhemsher@...> wrote:

              > I don't live [in San Diego] now, but would be glad to share some svg mapping ideas. Feel free to contact me off list.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Francis

              Francis, thank you so much for your kind offer.
              I am quite busy until the end of this week, but I plan to contact you in the near future.
              George
            • george
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 20, 2013
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesd" <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

                > I thought I was the only one in San Diego that knew what SVG is. No groups as far as I know. If you start one you'll probably be stuck with only me interested in attending.
                >
                > James

                Just to make it clear, I'm barely getting my feet wet with svg, but maybe my enthusiasm compensates for my ignorance.
                From my point of view, even two heads are better than one, and who knows, maybe others may be interested later. Depending on what you are doing, possibly I can assist you in your projects as I learn.
                I am quite busy for the next few days, but would it be best if I email you to try to arrange a time and place to meet?
                Let me know if that is OK with you.

                George

                George
              • george
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 20, 2013
                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Barnabas <jtbarnabas@...> wrote:

                  > I'm in Sac; however, I have found a number of useful groups
                  > in Sac using meetup.com. Starting a meetup is inexpensive
                  > and those already hooked in with meetup could include some
                  > who are interested in SVG.

                  Jason, thanks for the tip about meetup.com.
                  I took a quick look at the home page and it looks interesting.
                  As soon as I have some time, I'll explore a little.

                  George
                • Jason Barnabas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 20, 2013
                    From: george <geoh88@...>

                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Barnabas
                    > <jtbarnabas@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I'm in Sac; however, I have found a number of useful groups
                    >> in Sac using meetup.com. Starting a meetup is inexpensive
                    >> and those already hooked in with meetup could include some
                    >> who are interested in SVG.
                    >>
                    > Jason, thanks for the tip about meetup.com.
                    > I took a quick look at the home page and it looks
                    > interesting.
                    > As soon as I have some time, I'll explore a little.
                    >
                    > George

                    Watch out in meetup, there be pirates, arr. Actually that
                    was how I found it, I was looking for a pirate group...you
                    know people who like to play pirate together. :-D

                    Jason
                  • Doug Schepers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 24, 2013
                      Hi, George–

                      If you don't have any luck finding a general SVG group, you might see if
                      there are any d3.js groups in the area. It's a very popular SVG script
                      library right now, and it does deal with some map types.

                      Regards–
                      -Doug