UUgle Map of Pologonia

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2013
      ...I'm at it again;)

      I've launched a new Web App based on SVG. It interlaces the zoom ability of svg and high resolution images. Users can attach a hi-rez photo, at up to 1 MEG, to a tiny polygon symbol positioned in a global map. They can then zoom into the image at very high scale values.

      Along with this new app, I have also introduced a new word definition:
      UUgle (def.) - The ability to display, and zoom into, a high resolution image to discern its minute details.

      I am in the process of having this new word recognized by the various dictionaries. (It is not surprising that the google search engine currently considers this a nasty, because it is perceived as infringing upon their most scared name.) So, If there are any Scrabble players out there, you can get ready to include this word in your arsenal.

      The App is at: www.uugleMap.com

      Regards,
      Francis
    • Guy Morton
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2013
        When I go it says "This is an Internet Explorer web application." So, you've lost me at the start. Why would you build an app in SVG that only works in IE? IE is about as popular as syphilis these days.

        Guy

        On 19/08/2013, at 8:06 AM, "Francis Hemsher" <fhemsher@...> wrote:

        > ...I'm at it again;)
        >
        > I've launched a new Web App based on SVG. It interlaces the zoom ability of svg and high resolution images. Users can attach a hi-rez photo, at up to 1 MEG, to a tiny polygon symbol positioned in a global map. They can then zoom into the image at very high scale values.
        >
        > Along with this new app, I have also introduced a new word definition:
        > UUgle (def.) - The ability to display, and zoom into, a high resolution image to discern its minute details.
        >
        > I am in the process of having this new word recognized by the various dictionaries. (It is not surprising that the google search engine currently considers this a nasty, because it is perceived as infringing upon their most scared name.) So, If there are any Scrabble players out there, you can get ready to include this word in your arsenal.
        >
        > The App is at: www.uugleMap.com
        >
        > Regards,
        > Francis

      • Francis Hemsher
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013

          > When I go it says "This is an Internet Explorer web application." So, you've lost me at the start. Why would you build an app in SVG that only works in IE? IE is about as popular as syphilis these days.

          I know well IE's characteristics required to build and introduce this web app.

          To make it cross-browser at this time, which to me is an agonizing task, is not worth the effort.

          Of course, if it gains serious traction, I'll hire someone to make it cross-browser.
        • fhemsher
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3 1:31 PM
             I think I should consider making this cross-browser:)...I just can't do this myself UGH! Is there anyone out there with an interest in such a task? Contact me off list, thanks Francis

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4 4:20 PM

              I finally decided to address the cross-browser issue, and found why firefox was such a problem...I had no issues with Opera.

              Both Opera and IE natively find elements that contain an id value.( divs, buttons ,text,  etc), which are considered public.  Firefox however requires that the code specifically request an element that has the needed id. e.g.

               var myElement=document.getElementById("myElementIDValue")

              So my cross-browser issues have mostly gone away... A few cosmetic changes still required.

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

               I think I should consider making this cross-browser:)...I just can't do this myself UGH! Is there anyone out there with an interest in such a task? Contact me off list, thanks Francis

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > When I go it says "This is an Internet Explorer web application." So, you've lost me at the start. Why would you build an app in SVG that only works in IE? IE is about as popular as syphilis these days.

              I know well IE's characteristics required to build and introduce this web app.

              To make it cross-browser at this time, which to me is an agonizing task, is not worth the effort.

              Of course, if it gains serious traction, I'll hire someone to make it cross-browser.
            • David Dailey
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4 6:27 PM
                /offlist

                Hi Francis,

                My own experience has been that developing to work in both Opera and IE/ASV wasn’t too difficult since they both supported most of the SVG spec. Hence one didn’t need to spend hours fiddling with things only to determine that the browser didn’t do it yet. Gradually FF came to support many things as well (with Chrome and Safari lagging behind by a few years). The problem used to be though, that things that would work in Opera and IE and FF would later stop working in FF since the FF team would decide to either take a more rigid interpretation the spec or decide that some part of the spec was a bad idea in the first place. Now, of course, Opera has taken a giant step backward by abandoning all the good work they had done in SVG and now they are slightly more broken, it seems, than Chrome. With IE deciding finally to support SVG but not SMIL or SVG fonts, it handles scripted SVG quite well (and even handles a lot of filter stuff as long as there is no SMIL). I find myself very frustrated with Opera’s backward movement, Firefox’s recalcitrance about not supporting anything that isn’t 100% kosher, Chrome’s sluggishness to implement advanced features, and Apple and Microsoft’s general attitude of not really liking SVG in the first place. My frustration with the browsers and the SVG Working Group is rather high at the moment.

                Cheers

                David

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5 4:39 AM

                  Obviously an apology is in order. I was intending this venting of frustration to be considerably more private.

                  Sorry to any and all.

                  David