- ▶ character problem

  • ecmaszeq
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi, I'm trying to programm in SVG a button with ▶ filled triangle character ( ▶ ) passed as a text and it works on my Windows computer perfectly fine. But after uploading the code to the server I get [] instead of ▶.

      Anyone got a solution ? I've tried 5 different encodings, changing used font and setting utf-8 in SVG declaration, but nothing helped.

      By the way, the ▶ may appear in different placed, for example:

      Button ▶
      Text ▶
      Some long text ▶

      so I can't use background as a solution. I'd also would love to skip passing x/y coords to the code to place the triangle as an image and keep it passed as a text if it is possible.

      And to repeat myself: it works fine on my localhost, it doesn't work online.
    • Sayed Arian Kooshesh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5830991/svg-text-element-with-unicode-characters

        --
        Extreme Knowledge is not something for which he programs a computer but for
        which his computer is programming him.

        -Wozniak

        - if my programming advice has helped you, feel free to donate to :
        <https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KYUXV2PG88YQQ>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
          it didn't help me, i already had that encoding
        • Sayed Arian Kooshesh
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
            did you read the whole article? it had two solutions.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2013
              yes, i've read that article even before I came to this discussion group and it did help me to get this work on my computer (both solutions work on my computer), but it didn't help me get it to work after transfering code file to remote server.

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Sayed Arian Kooshesh <kooshesh@...> wrote:

              > did you read the whole article? it had two solutions.
              >

              > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM, ecmaszeq <ecmaszeq@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > it didn't help me, i already had that encoding
              > >

              > --
              > Extreme Knowledge is not something for which he programs a computer but for
              > which his computer is programming him.
              >
              > -Wozniak

            • Jason Barnabas
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2013
                From: ecmaszeq <ecmaszeq@...>

                > yes, i've read that article even before I came to
                > this discussion group and it did help me to get this
                > work on my computer (both solutions work on my
                > computer), but it didn't help me get it to work
                > after transfering code file to remote server.

                Was the code rewritten in the transfer?

                Jason
              • ecmaszeq
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013
                  No, it stays the same.

                  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Barnabas <jtbarnabas@...> wrote:

                  > From: ecmaszeq <ecmaszeq@...>
                  >

                  > > yes, i've read that article even before I came to
                  > > this discussion group and it did help me to get this
                  > > work on my computer (both solutions work on my
                  > > computer), but it didn't help me get it to work
                  > > after transfering code file to remote server.
                  >

                  > Was the code rewritten in the transfer?
                  >
                  > Jason

                • firstbert
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                    only guessing: It's not enough to choose utf8 in the save dialog; but need a programm that could save (and convert to) explicit without BOM. There are for example some MS Windows VisualStudio versions, that make problems with that. So eventually on the Non-windows- server arrives a file with BOM. Free http://notepad-plus-plus.org could do that: Encoding - convert to utf8 without BOM.
                    And http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2223882/whats-different-between-utf-8-and-utf-8-without-bom

                    best
                    bert