Re: [svg-developers] Re: improved SVG text support in Firefox Nightly

  • Richard Pearman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013

      From: Robert Longson
      To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:38 AM
      Subject: [svg-developers] Re: improved SVG text support in Firefox Nightly

      >> Have they started allowing objects with filters they can't render to
      >> receive events?

      >No, but we do render all filters. We're just missing two of the six input
      >keywords: BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha.

      OK, I think the problem is that the filter also uses BackgroundImage (this
      filter causes whatever's in it's background to change color).

      >>Have they started displaying these unfiltered?

      >No.

      >>Better still have they started supporting animated filters?

      >We support animation of all filter attributes.

      The problem is that the animated filters, which also reference backgrounds
      are supposed to receive events. This worked in previous version of Firefox
      (and all other browsers at least do this much) but stopped working in
      version 20.

      Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
      http://www.pixelpalaces.com/dk/
      My Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
      South Alberta Cactus and succulent society:
      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008
      Make money from discussing things: http://www.myLot.com?ref=Graptopetalum
    • Robert Longson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
        > The problem is that the animated filters, which also reference backgrounds
        > are supposed to receive events. This worked in previous version of Firefox
        > (and all other browsers at least do this much) but stopped working in
        > version 20.

        Create a bug in bugzilla and attach a small testcase so that we can investigate. Here's a link https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Core&component=SVG

        Robert
      • Cameron McCormack
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
          David Dailey wrote:
          > It looks as though you’ve not yet implemented textLength=n and
          > lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs"
          >
          > Those two would be high on my request list for next projects to
          > undertake. Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE have all done them and it
          > enables effects such as at
          >
          > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/
          >
          > to have text resize relative to the browser window.

          I looked into how hard it would be to implement textLength="" and
          lengthAdjust="" now that the SVG text rewrite is done, and it turned out
          – at least for those attribute on <text>, but not on <tspan> and
          <textPath> – to be pretty simple.

          http://mcc.id.au/blog/2013/07/more-svg-text-news

          Let me know if you find any problems.