Re: improved SVG text support in Firefox Nightly

  • Robert Longson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2013
      Feel free to get some of your students to help us out then ;-)

      Robert.

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

      > Hi Cameron,
      >

      > Thanks for the work and thanks for the notice.
      >

      > It looks as though you’ve not yet implemented textLength=n and lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs"
      >

      > Those two would be high on my request list for next projects to undertake. Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE have all done them and it enables effects such as at
      >
      > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/
      >
      > to have text resize relative to the browser window.
      >

      > Cheers
      >
      > David

    • Richard Pearman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013

        Have they started allowing objects with filters they can't render to receive events? Have they started displaying these unfiltered? Better still have they started supporting animated filters? This (particularly the first one) is what renders this search engine pretty much useless for displaying my web comic. All the other major browsers do better and Opera gets it right!

        Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
        The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.pixelpalaces.com/dk/
        My Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
        South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008
        Make money from discussing things: http://www.myLot.com?ref=Graptopetalum

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
          > Have they started allowing objects with filters they can't render to receive events?

          No, but we do render all filters. We're just missing two of the six input keywords: BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha.

          Have they started displaying these unfiltered?

          No.

          Better still have they started supporting animated filters?

          We support animation of all filter attributes.

          This (particularly the first one) is what renders this search engine pretty much useless for displaying my web comic. All the other major browsers do better and Opera gets it right!

          > Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
          > The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.pixelpalaces.com/dk/
          > My Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
          > South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008
          > Make money from discussing things: http://www.myLot.com?ref=Graptopetalum

        • Cameron McCormack
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2013
            I put together a small page demonstrating these new features:

            http://mcc.id.au/2013/text.html
          • Richard Pearman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013

              >> Have they started allowing objects with filters they can't render to
              >> receive events?

              >No, but we do render all filters. We're just missing two of the six input
              >keywords: BackgroundImage and BackgroundAlpha.

              OK, I think the problem is that the filter also uses BackgroundImage (this
              filter causes whatever's in it's background to change color).

              >>Have they started displaying these unfiltered?

              >No.

              >>Better still have they started supporting animated filters?

              >We support animation of all filter attributes.

              The problem is that the animated filters, which also reference backgrounds
              are supposed to receive events. This worked in previous version of Firefox
              (and all other browsers at least do this much) but stopped working in
              version 20.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                > The problem is that the animated filters, which also reference backgrounds
                > are supposed to receive events. This worked in previous version of Firefox
                > (and all other browsers at least do this much) but stopped working in
                > version 20.

                Create a bug in bugzilla and attach a small testcase so that we can investigate. Here's a link https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Core&component=SVG

                Robert
              • Cameron McCormack
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
                  David Dailey wrote:
                  > It looks as though you’ve not yet implemented textLength=n and
                  > lengthAdjust="spacingAndGlyphs"
                  >
                  > Those two would be high on my request list for next projects to
                  > undertake. Opera, Chrome, Safari and IE have all done them and it
                  > enables effects such as at
                  >
                  > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/
                  >
                  > to have text resize relative to the browser window.

                  I looked into how hard it would be to implement textLength="" and
                  lengthAdjust="" now that the SVG text rewrite is done, and it turned out
                  – at least for those attribute on <text>, but not on <tspan> and
                  <textPath> – to be pretty simple.

                  http://mcc.id.au/blog/2013/07/more-svg-text-news

                  Let me know if you find any problems.