Re: Exporting SVG from Illustrator

  • Cathy.OConnor@doh.wa.gov
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
      Hi, Micah,

      I was wondering if you can give any advice on how to name polygons
      (or other objects)in Illustrator so that when the file is exported to
      SVG the different paths and objects can be identified by a name. I'm
      working with a state map that has county boundaries and I'd like to
      easily identify the counties in the SVG code.

      -Cathy

      :

      :
      > :
    • Joc
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
        Cathy,
        As far as I can remember, if you rename the layers, the names get
        exported..
        but I might be wrong.
        Joc

        --- In svg-developers@egroups.com, Cathy.OConnor@d... wrote:
        > Hi, Micah,
        >
        > I was wondering if you can give any advice on how to name polygons
        > (or other objects)in Illustrator so that when the file is exported
        > SVG the different paths and objects can be identified by a name.
        I'm
        > working with a state map that has county boundaries and I'd like to
        > easily identify the counties in the SVG code.
        >
        > -Cathy
        >
        > --- In svg-developers@egroups.com, "Micah Laaker" <micah@i...>
        wrote:
        > > Hey everyone!
        > >
        > > As we've been putting in some serious hours converting
        > > Illustrator files into SVG, we started coming across several
        items
        > > that helped expedite the process dramatically.
        > >
        > > I've posted these in a PDF, accessible from our R&D site, at:
        > > "http://www.iguanastudios.com/rnd/svg/assets/SVG-TIPS-4.pdf"
        > >
        > > Feel free to download and distribute the file to all that you
        think
        > > would be interested. Also, please feel free to e-mail me with any
        > > suggestions or findings that you may have.
        > >
        > > peace, -micah!
        > >

        > : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
        > :
        > > :
        > >
        > > MICAH LAAKER : Art Director / Manager, Research &
        > > Development
        > >
        > > Iguana Studios . www.iguanastudios.com .
        > > micah@i...
        > >
        > > www.laaker.com . micah@l...
        > >

        > : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
        > :
        > > :
      • Leonard Rosenthol
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
          At 8:40 PM +0000 10/3/00, Cathy.OConnor@... wrote:
          >I was wondering if you can give any advice on how to name polygons
          >(or other objects)in Illustrator so that when the file is exported to
          >SVG the different paths and objects can be identified by a name.

          Every object in Illustrator can have a name associated with
          it, and the SVG exporter is supposed to export that name as the id
          for the element. There is no standard way (that I am aware of) to
          set that name, other than via scripting. It's a quick 3-4 line
          AppleScript for the Mac.

          Leonard
          You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
          Leonard Rosenthol Internet: leonardr@...
          America Online: MACgician
          Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
          FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
          PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65
        • Jon Ferraiolo
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
            In case Illustrator users don't know this already....

            In Adobe Illustrator 9, you can assign names to layers, groups and
            individual objects on the layers palette. To assign a name to an object,
            expand the contents of a given layer by clicking on the triangle next to
            the layer name on the layers palette, exposing the object hierarchy. Then
            double-click on the object name (e.g., <path>) to bring up a dialog, where
            you can replace <path> with something more meaningful. The name you enter
            will get exported to the SVG file.

            Jon

            At 09:55 PM 10/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
            >At 8:40 PM +0000 10/3/00, Cathy.OConnor@... wrote:
            > >I was wondering if you can give any advice on how to name polygons
            > >(or other objects)in Illustrator so that when the file is exported to
            > >SVG the different paths and objects can be identified by a name.
            >
            > Every object in Illustrator can have a name associated with
            >it, and the SVG exporter is supposed to export that name as the id
            >for the element. There is no standard way (that I am aware of) to
            >set that name, other than via scripting. It's a quick 3-4 line
            >AppleScript for the Mac.
            >

            >Leonard
            >--
            > You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
            >Leonard Rosenthol Internet: leonardr@...
            > America Online: MACgician
            >Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
            >FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
            >PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65

          • Michael Bierman
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2000
              Jon is correct about Illustrator preserving object, layer, and group names
              as nodeids. Also, you can make any object an imagemap through the Attributes
              menu. You can also include and link JavaScript directly in your SVG through
              Illustrator. We've provided a number of samples on the Illustrator CD. They
              are also available through the web site at
              http://www.adobe.com/svg/illustrator/interactivity_palette/index2.html

              Michael Bierman
              Senior Product Manager, SVG
              www.adobe.com/svg

            • Tobias Reif
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                Cathy,

                [...]I'm
                > working with a state map that has county boundaries
                [...]

                Sounds interesting; is the Washington State Department
                of Health using SVG? It would be interesting to hear
                why; what are the specific advantages for your
                purposes?
                Will there be SVGs on
                http://www.doh.wa.gov/

                Please excuse me if I'm to indiscreet.

                May be everyone could state why he/she uses SVG;
                I could publish a list to show the advantages of SVG.
                (for realworld applications or general or
                "unrealworld"{artistic/personal/"useless"}
                applications)

                Tobi

                =====
                Tobias Reif http://www.pinkjuice.com/svg/ http://www.pinkjuice.com/
                _/ /
                / / _ / _ / _ / / / _ / _ / _ /
                _/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
                / _ _/ _ _ _/ _ _/ _ _/ _ _ / _ _/ _ _/ _ _/
                _/ / / _ _ _/ / /

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • Harrell, Wade
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                  Also as a side note make sure not to use spaces or odd characters in the
                  name, Illustrator does not do well with these, for example:

                  big yellow circle [incorrect]
                  big_yellow_circle [incorrect]
                  bigYellowCircle [correct]

                  Keeping this in mind when working with Illustrator will be a big help. Now
                  I just wish it would use the cropmarks to make the viewbox!

                  Wade Harrell * Wade.Harrell@...
                  Sr Content Engineer * Iguana Studios Inc
                  vox:212.209.1380 * fax:212.243.6506
                  16 W 19th * 10th Floor
                  New York, NY 10011 - 4205
                  http://www.iguanastudios.com
                  Latitude: 40.739145 (40° 44' 20" N)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                    At 11:39 AM -0400 10/4/00, Harrell, Wade wrote:
                    >Also as a side note make sure not to use spaces or odd characters in the
                    >name, Illustrator does not do well with these, for example:
                    >
                    >big yellow circle [incorrect]
                    >big_yellow_circle [incorrect]
                    >bigYellowCircle [correct]

                    Are you saying that Illustrator doesn't properly export them,
                    or that you believe these are invalid id's or what??

                    >Keeping this in mind when working with Illustrator will be a big help. Now
                    >I just wish it would use the cropmarks to make the viewbox!

                    That's not really what you want, since the viewbox would
                    change the size/ratio of the document. What you want (and our SVG
                    tools deal with) is to actually recognize a cropbox attribute that is
                    used appropriately depending on destination (ie. our svgimage tool
                    crops the image, while svg2pdf puts the proper "boxes" into the PDF
                    file).

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                      I stand corrected, the second one is fine, just personal style I guess!
                      Just don't use spaces, but that is more a id issue (no ids with spaces).
                      Unfortunately the coders are not always doing the designs, so make sure the
                      designers know to not use spaces.

                      >big yellow circle [incorrect]
                      >big_yellow_circle [incorrect]
                      >bigYellowCircle [correct]

                      here are the paths as exported from Illustrator:

                      <path id="big_x0020_yellow_x0020_circle" d="...
                      <path id="big_yellow_circle" d="...
                      <path id="bigYellowCircle" d="...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                        At 2:59 PM -0400 10/4/00, Harrell, Wade wrote:
                        >I stand corrected, the second one is fine, just personal style I guess!
                        >Just don't use spaces, but that is more a id issue (no ids with spaces).

                        Why not? Since they are quoted strings, spaces are just
                        fine in an id.

                      • jdowdell@macromedia.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                          At 12:59 PM 10/4/0, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
                          > Why not? Since they are quoted strings, spaces are just
                          > fine in an id.

                          I'm not sure where your name will be used, but if you'll be using the
                          browser's JavaScript interpreter, then some Netscape versions have problems
                          with names that have spaces, if memory serves.

                          (If you're using a single known engine upon the name, then no worries, test
                          once and you're golden... this type of thing is only a problem when there
                          are a couple of implementations of a spec to worry about.)

                          jd

                        • Cathy.OConnor@doh.wa.gov
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                            When I put each county into its own layer and then export the image
                            to SVG I get <g id="53005" style="&st3;"> follow by the <path> tag
                            for each county. What I was looking for was something like...
                            <g id="WA_County" style="opacity:1.0;"> with a path for each county
                            like...
                            <path id ="53069" d="M134 148 L135 156 134 157 133 157 132 157 130
                            157 125 153 121 153 121 151 121 149 121 148 122 148 123 148 127 148
                            128 148 129 148 130 148 131 148 132 148 133 148 134 148
                            Z" />

                            I want to know how I can specify the ids in Illustrator so they
                            export as part of the SVG file.

                            Thanks for your help,
                            Cathy

                          • Cathy.OConnor@doh.wa.gov
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 4, 2000
                              Thank you very much! That's just what I needed...
                              -Cathy

                              --- In svg-developers@egroups.com, "Jon Ferraiolo" <jferraio@a...>

                              leonardr@l...
                              > > America Online: MACgician
                              > >Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
                              > >FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
                              > >PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65

                            • Chris Lilley
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 5, 2000
                                Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

                                > At 2:59 PM -0400 10/4/00, Harrell, Wade wrote:
                                > >I stand corrected, the second one is fine, just personal style I guess!
                                > >Just don't use spaces, but that is more a id issue (no ids with spaces).
                                >
                                > Why not? Since they are quoted strings, spaces are just
                                > fine in an id.

                                No, they are not just "quoted strings". They are XML Name productions, and
                                certain characters are excluded. Also, the first character is heavily
                                restricted.

                                http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#id
                                Validity Constraint: ID
                                Values of type ID must match the Name production. A name must
                                not appear more than once in an XML document as a value of this
                                type; i.e., ID values must uniquely identify the elements which bear them.

                                http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-Name
                                [4] NameChar ::= Letter | Digit | '.' | '-' | '_' | ':' | CombiningChar |
                                Extender
                                [5] Name ::= (Letter | '_' | ':') (NameChar)*

                                http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#CharClasses
                                (gives the unicode values that can be used in various productions such as
                                letter, digit, and so forth). If you check in the ASCII range [0020 to
                                007E] then space [0020] is not among them.

                                More simply, this file is valid:

                                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                <!DOCTYPE foo [
                                <!ELEMENT foo (#PCDATA)>
                                <!ATTLIST foo bar ID #REQUIRED>
                                ]>
                                <foo bar="baz"/>

                                and this one is not

                                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                                <!DOCTYPE foo [
                                <!ELEMENT foo (#PCDATA)>
                                <!ATTLIST foo bar ID #REQUIRED>
                                ]>
                                <foo bar="b az"/><!-- notice the space between b and a -->

                                as any XML validator will confirm.

                                Early versions of the SVG Illustrator export plugin generated invalid IDs
                                with spaces in them. Later versions, including the current one in
                                Illustrator 9, converted those spaces so that they were correctly
                                represented by a valid string.

                                However, that means that the names are not what you saw in the dialog box
                                (for example, 'Layer 1' becomes 'Layer_x0020_1'. Your options are to avoid
                                spaces and other banned characters in names, or edit the generated result,
                                or write your scripts knowing how names with spaces get transformed.

                                Of these, providing an XML name as the name is the easiest.

                                --
                                Chris
                              • Chris Lilley
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 5, 2000
                                  jdowdell@... wrote:

                                  > At 12:59 PM 10/4/0, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
                                  > > Why not? Since they are quoted strings, spaces are just
                                  > > fine in an id.
                                  >
                                  > I'm not sure where your name will be used, but if you'll be using the
                                  > browser's JavaScript interpreter, then some Netscape versions have problems
                                  > with names that have spaces, if memory serves.

                                  Well if they were conformant then they *should* have problems with spaces
                                  in ids.

                                  > (If you're using a single known engine upon the name, then no worries, test
                                  > once and you're golden...

                                  Until the next revision of that engine, which maybe works differently; or
                                  perhaps the implementations on different platforms don't share 100% their
                                  codebase ... no, give me a clear spec anyday over 'its defined by what this
                                  code does'.

                                  > this type of thing is only a problem when there
                                  > are a couple of implementations of a spec to worry about.)

                                  Or where the implementations diverge from the spec. But when the spec id
                                  correcly implemented, then multiple interoperable implementations are not
                                  only possible, but likely.

                                  --
                                  Chris
                                • jdowdell@macromedia.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 5, 2000
                                    [Please excuse the nested quote'n'reply, but Chris raises some great points
                                    here.]

                                    At 12:07 PM 10/5/0, Chris Lilley wrote:
                                    > John Dowdell wrote:
                                    >> At 12:59 PM 10/4/0, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
                                    >> > Why not? Since they are quoted strings, spaces are just
                                    >> > fine in an id.
                                    >>
                                    >> I'm not sure where your name will be used, but if you'll be using the
                                    >> browser's JavaScript interpreter, then some Netscape versions have
                                    >> problems with names that have spaces, if memory serves.
                                    >
                                    > Well if they were conformant then they *should* have problems with
                                    > spaces in ids.

                                    wellll, yess, and no... I mean I understand how everybody should correctly
                                    follow all the rules, but in this case it would be more user-friendly to
                                    either accommodate user choice, or else to fail gracefully in response to
                                    unwanted user choice... I'd find it difficult to fault Microsoft's
                                    JavaScript interpreters for handling JavaScript names as a new web designer
                                    expects.

                                    I've got no real agreement or disagreement here, but am just pointing out
                                    that there's a dynamic between the two viewpoints of "everything not
                                    permitted is prohibited" and "the darn computer should just do what I
                                    want". I'm sensitive to both positions.... ;-)

                                    >> (If you're using a single known engine upon the name, then no worries,
                                    >> test once and you're golden...
                                    >
                                    >Until the next revision of that engine, which maybe works differently; or
                                    >perhaps the implementations on different platforms don't share 100% their
                                    >codebase ... no, give me a clear spec anyday over 'its defined by what this
                                    >code does'.

                                    Sorry, you're right, I was ambiguous... I meant that you can use an ad hoc
                                    approach for a test project, a proof of concept, a presentation for a
                                    speech, a kiosk that would run only in one location... a situation where
                                    you absolutely know the renderer.

                                    You're absolutely correct that an approach of "it happens to work" would
                                    not be suitable for mass-distribution, for potential legacy content, and so
                                    on!

                                    >> this type of thing is only a problem when there
                                    >> are a couple of implementations of a spec to worry about.)
                                    >
                                    >Or where the implementations diverge from the spec. But when the spec id
                                    >correcly implemented, then multiple interoperable implementations are not
                                    >only possible, but likely.

                                    Theoretically, yes... let's see how things pan out.

                                    (I read a lot of Hayek as a kid, and realized it was difficult for a small
                                    group to predict the range of human response... this colors a lot of what I
                                    personally perceive, which may explain my hesitancy in accepting the
                                    assumption that such a well-constrained state would exist. YMMV.)

                                    jd