IE and support for declarative animation

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2013
      I'm just trying to verify that my understanding is accurate. Can anyone
      comment?

      1. I remember Microsoft folks saying that IE would not support SVG
      SMIL until such time as there was an animation spec that was shared across
      both SVG and HTML.

      2. The CSS WG, with input from the SVG WG has been working on a way of
      doing exactly that, though doing it all through styles rather than DOM
      elements (like <animate>).

      3. Microsoft is likely to support said standard (in something like IEx
      for x>10) at such time as the spec actually emerges as a recommendation.

      4. Browser support for CSS-based animations, as defined by the CSS WG,
      will not translate into support for DOM-based animations.

      5. Ergo: no legacy content will ever work in IE.

      I would actually be delighted if some of my understanding is inaccurate,
      since I would hate to think that the 2007-era HTML mantra of "don't break
      the web" is now obsolete. I suppose 2007 was a while back, and like many of
      the design aphorisms, it really depends on who is breaking the rules as to
      when the rules are applicable.

      Cheers