Possibly OT: adding title elements to inkscape diagrams

  • Pranav Lal
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am the part of a project trying to produce accessible SVG. One of the
      things this involves is to add title elements to SVG elements like lines and
      paths. How can this be done in inkscape? I believe the options to add text
      add the text element so they are not what I want.

      Pranav
    • th_w@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Lal" wrote:

        > add title elements to SVG elements like lines and
        > paths. How can this be done in inkscape?

        - Select the element you want to add a title to.
        - Press Ctrl+Shift+x to open the XML editor.
        - Click the button "New element node"
        - Enter "svg:title" for the name of the new element
        - Click the button "New text node"
        - Enter the title text in the input pane

        Is this what you were looking for? Of course, you can also do this in a generic XML editor or a plain text editor.

        Thomas W.
      • Pranav Lal
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
          Hi Thomas,

          Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. <smile

          The people creating the diagrams do not know XML so a generic XML editor is
          not an option.

          Many thanks.
          Pranav

          <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com> , "Pranav Lal" wrote:

          > add title elements to SVG elements like lines and
          > paths. How can this be done in inkscape?

          - Select the element you want to add a title to.
          - Press Ctrl+Shift+x to open the XML editor.
          - Click the button "New element node"
          - Enter "svg:title" for the name of the new element
          - Click the button "New text node"
          - Enter the title text in the input pane

          Is this what you were looking for? Of course, you can also do this in a
          generic XML editor or a plain text editor.

          Thomas W.
        • Mark Crutch
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Lal" wrote:

            > add title elements to SVG elements like lines and
            > paths. How can this be done in inkscape?

            Another approach is to select the object then press CTRL-SHIFT-O to bring
            up the Object Properties dialogue. There is a field in there for Title; you
            have to click the "Set" button to make it stick.

            Mark

            --
            Co-creator of *The Greys* and *Monsters, Inked* webcomics

            Website http://www.peppertop.com/
            Facebook http://facebook.com/TheGreysComic
            Twitter https://twitter.com/TheGreysComic

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Crutch wrote:

              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Lal" wrote:
              > >
              > > add title elements to SVG elements like lines and
              > > paths. How can this be done in inkscape?
              >
              > Another approach is to select the object then press CTRL-SHIFT-O to bring
              > up the Object Properties dialogue. There is a field in there for Title; you
              > have to click the "Set" button to make it stick.

              That's definitely more convenient than my suggestion. Thanks for this info!

              Thomas W.