RE: [svg-developers] following a moving path

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
      A somewhat feeble attempt to do this can be seen at

      http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/A2.svg

      Note that the middle lower example sort of works, by putting four different
      values of the d attribute into an interpolated animation. Perhaps with
      eight values the effect would be more accurate (four more at 45, 135. 225,
      and 315 degrees each). Not sure, but the interpolation might simulate
      rotation, if sufficiently many intermediate states of the pseudo-ellipse are
      provided, then it might sorta work.

      Of course, then the author would have to sit and work out all the trig of
      the transformed coordinates for all 8 interpolated values (the 90 degree
      ones were simple, since I just permuted the coordinates within the d
      attribute)

      Unless someone sees something obvious that I'm missing, would it make sense
      to propose that animation along a path be able to follow a path even when it
      is being transformed?

      Cheers

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
        Fwiw,

        Bob Hopgood sent me a version using 12 interpolated paths in the animation
        of the d attribute that simulates rotation quite well.

        It is still an awfully lot of work for the author, so it seems like the
        ability to follow a path while said path is being transformed is a feature
        that will be needed in SVG 2.0. I'll float the recommendation over there.

        Cheers

        David

        From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
          Hi David

          http://owl3d.com/tests/aniCombo.svg

          Regards
          Israel

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

          > Fwiw,
          >

          > Bob Hopgood sent me a version using 12 interpolated paths in the animation
          > of the d attribute that simulates rotation quite well.
          >

          > It is still an awfully lot of work for the author, so it seems like the
          > ability to follow a path while said path is being transformed is a feature
          > that will be needed in SVG 2.0. I'll float the recommendation over there.
          >

          > Cheers
          >
          > David
        • David Dailey
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
            Hi Israel,

            Funny, just before you sent this, I had figured out the same thing - animate
            the transform of the group containing both.

            I somehow didn't think that would work.

            regards

            David