following a moving path

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2012
      Observe the examples in http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/A1.svg

      In all browsers but Firefox (where I've filed a bug report) and IE (which
      seems not to yet support SVG animation) the red oval follows a path that is
      itself animated (by animating its d attribute). But supposing we want to
      have an oval (the blue one) follow a path that is not "deforming" but is
      rotating. It seems as though there is no way to do that.

      Can anyone think of a way to do it short of amending the SVG spec? (or using
      script - which is so hideously inelegant that no cultured person would
      seriously consider it <humor/>)

      Cheers

    • David Dailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
        A somewhat feeble attempt to do this can be seen at

        http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/A2.svg

        Note that the middle lower example sort of works, by putting four different
        values of the d attribute into an interpolated animation. Perhaps with
        eight values the effect would be more accurate (four more at 45, 135. 225,
        and 315 degrees each). Not sure, but the interpolation might simulate
        rotation, if sufficiently many intermediate states of the pseudo-ellipse are
        provided, then it might sorta work.

        Of course, then the author would have to sit and work out all the trig of
        the transformed coordinates for all 8 interpolated values (the 90 degree
        ones were simple, since I just permuted the coordinates within the d
        attribute)

        Unless someone sees something obvious that I'm missing, would it make sense
        to propose that animation along a path be able to follow a path even when it
        is being transformed?

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
          Fwiw,

          Bob Hopgood sent me a version using 12 interpolated paths in the animation
          of the d attribute that simulates rotation quite well.

          It is still an awfully lot of work for the author, so it seems like the
          ability to follow a path while said path is being transformed is a feature
          that will be needed in SVG 2.0. I'll float the recommendation over there.

          Cheers

          David

          From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
            Hi David

            http://owl3d.com/tests/aniCombo.svg

            Regards
            Israel

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

            > Fwiw,
            >

            > Bob Hopgood sent me a version using 12 interpolated paths in the animation
            > of the d attribute that simulates rotation quite well.
            >

            > It is still an awfully lot of work for the author, so it seems like the
            > ability to follow a path while said path is being transformed is a feature
            > that will be needed in SVG 2.0. I'll float the recommendation over there.
            >

            > Cheers
            >
            > David
          • David Dailey
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
              Hi Israel,

              Funny, just before you sent this, I had figured out the same thing - animate
              the transform of the group containing both.

              I somehow didn't think that would work.

              regards

              David