Prague Astronomical Clock simulator

  • honyk
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2012
      Dear All,

      let me to introduce the Prague Astronomical Clock simulator:

      http://drifted.in/horologium-app/

      The graphics is based solely on the SVG format and my custom font. That
      quazi 3D appearance is ensured by filters (drop shadows). They are used
      extensively here. The initial SVG image is generated by the server. Small
      clock configuration changes (time shifts) are driven by JavaScript. These
      affecting the appearance (latitude) force the server side driven
      regenerating and updating the image in the app.

      Only some browsers are supported. The best experience can be ensured with
      Firefox. Chrome is quite slow during the initial rendering, but the result
      is Ok. The result in Opera is quite fine. The ecliptic ring is blurred here
      though. In MSIE9 and Safari no filters are rendered and the image size is
      incorrect (the lack of the CSS3 support).

      Have fun with this application!

      Jan

      http://drifted.in/
    • jamesd
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2012
        Finally, fantastic graphics being used in web applications! Beautiful!

        James

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "honyk" <j.tosovsky@...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > let me to introduce the Prague Astronomical Clock simulator:
        >
        > http://drifted.in/horologium-app/

      • David Dailey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2012
          Yes, it is a delightfully well-crafted construction!

          Cheers

          David

          <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com> , "honyk" <j.tosovsky@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > let me to introduce the Prague Astronomical Clock simulator:
          >
          > http://drifted.in/horologium-app/

        • Andreas
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2012
            I's so cool.
            How you created the basic SVG?

            Pawel

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "honyk" <j.tosovsky@...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > let me to introduce the Prague Astronomical Clock simulator:
            >
            > http://drifted.in/horologium-app/
            >
            > The graphics is based solely on the SVG format and my custom font. That
            > quazi 3D appearance is ensured by filters (drop shadows). They are used
            > extensively here. The initial SVG image is generated by the server. Small
            > clock configuration changes (time shifts) are driven by JavaScript. These
            > affecting the appearance (latitude) force the server side driven
            > regenerating and updating the image in the app.
            >
            > Only some browsers are supported. The best experience can be ensured with
            > Firefox. Chrome is quite slow during the initial rendering, but the result
            > is Ok. The result in Opera is quite fine. The ecliptic ring is blurred here
            > though. In MSIE9 and Safari no filters are rendered and the image size is
            > incorrect (the lack of the CSS3 support).
            >
            > Have fun with this application!
            >
            > Jan
            >
            > http://drifted.in/

          • Ruth Lang
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2012
              Jan, great work!

              But this reminds me of a friend of mine who is also fascinated of the
              Astronomical Clock of Prague and made this quilt:

              http://www.barbaralange.com/Astronomische%20Uhr.htm

              I know, it has nothing to do with SVG .

              --- Ruth

              .

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1298421/grpspId=1706030389/msgId
              =65891/stime=1347820931/nc1=3848644/nc2=4507179/nc3=5741392>

            • honyk
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2012
                Hi Pawel,

                > > http://drifted.in/horologium-app/

                > How you created the basic SVG?

                Core astronomical clock parts consist of simple graphics (circles, arcs,
                lines). They are quite easy to reproduce. Most of it follows special
                spherical astronomy rules. Labels and symbols are vectorized manually (from
                a high resolution photograph) and converted into my custom font. This allows
                me to render individual letters using the 'text on path' SVG feature. The
                final appearance is driven by CSS styles.

                Generating is based on the skeleton SVG file with a very basic structure and
                unique IDs. This base graphics is processed in the XML pull parser where all
                the key IDs trigger the injection of the corresponding non-static SVG code
                fragments (calculated for the current settings). The final SVG file is
                temporarily stored and referenced in the HTML page.

                Jan
              • Andreas
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2012
                  Hi Jan,

                  you didn't work with a SVG-Programm? Respect. Maybe you want to write a tutorial?

                  Pawel