font for legibility of numeric characters

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
      Does anyone have recommendations for a font-family that would be

      a) Widely available for use across browsers in SVG

      b) Rendered consistently across browsers in SVG

      c) Easily legible for numeric characters?

      The last time I experimented with font support in SVG across browsers (a
      year or two ago) the results were very discouraging: even if fonts were
      installed and visible in HTML, they might not be for some browsers in SVG.

      Thanks in advance

    • Jerrold Maddox
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012

        I have been seeing how well Palatino and Palatino Linotype work for text:
        http://s3.amazonaws.com/fourquartets/fourquartets.html

        I revised the site using them for numerals. It is a good face and has been
        on the Mac since the '80s.
        http://s3.amazonaws.com/fourquartets/numberspalatino.html

        Palatino Linotype also have excellent support for non-Latin scripts.

        Jerry

        On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM, David Dailey <ddailey@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Does anyone have recommendations for a font-family that would be
        >
        > a) Widely available for use across browsers in SVG
        >
        > b) Rendered consistently across browsers in SVG
        >
        > c) Easily legible for numeric characters?
        >
        > The last time I experimented with font support in SVG across browsers (a
        > year or two ago) the results were very discouraging: even if fonts were
        > installed and visible in HTML, they might not be for some browsers in SVG.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > David

      • David Dailey
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
          Hey, thanks Jerry! It seems to work even on a PC and is a bit better than arial for numbers, I think.

          Regards

          David

          On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM, David Dailey <ddailey@... <mailto:ddailey%40zoominternet.net> >wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Does anyone have recommendations for a font-family that would be
          >
          > a) Widely available for use across browsers in SVG
          >
          > b) Rendered consistently across browsers in SVG
          >
          > c) Easily legible for numeric characters?
          >
          > The last time I experimented with font support in SVG across browsers (a
          > year or two ago) the results were very discouraging: even if fonts were
          > installed and visible in HTML, they might not be for some browsers in SVG.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > David

        • Jerrold Maddox
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012

            Yes, Palatino Linotype is, I believe, a resident font on Windows.

            Jerry

            On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hey, thanks Jerry! It seems to work even on a PC and is a bit better than
            > arial for numbers, I think.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > David

          • David Dailey
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
              In terms of subtle variation (shape and color), some of you may find this sort of fun

              http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/B0a.svg

              It is less than 20 lines of markup, if you get rid of the blank lines

              David

              On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@... <mailto:ddailey%40zoominternet.net> >wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hey, thanks Jerry! It seems to work even on a PC and is a bit better than
              > arial for numbers, I think.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > David

            • Jerrold Maddox
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
                Have I sent this play with circles and colors before? It shows some other
                possibilities.
                http://s3.amazonaws.com/ordinary/circles2.html

                Jerry