SVG & Python

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2012
      I needed sophisticated math to generate SVG polygons. Javscript just didn't have the Math handling I required.
      Therefore, I decided to give Python a try. It works just dandy. I registered Python as a scripting language at the server. I can then generate the data to build SVG either on the server, and/or at the client.

      Those not familiar with Python: It is similar to Javsscript, but uses indents rather than braces{} to delineate program loops, and uses 'def' to define a function e.g. def myFunctionName(arguments):

      For anyone interested in using Python to generate SVG, I suggest loading Python and including the following modules: Scipy, Shapely, Descartes, svgWrite, and mathplotlib.
      To register Python on a Windows Server, requires PyISAPIe (An ISAPI extension for Windows-based web servers that allows Python scripts to be used to serve web pages.)

      Currently, I'm using Wing as the IDE for Python. (Wing has a freebie IDE that is very good for getting started).

      Regards,
      Francis