Chrome for iOS - Any Good?

  • jamesd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
      Anyone downloaded and using Chrome for iOS? I don't have an iPad and am wondering if the iOS version supports filters.

      Thanks
      James
    • th_w@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesd" <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

        > Anyone downloaded and using Chrome for iOS? I don't have an iPad and am wondering if the iOS version supports filters.

        I don't have an iOS device, but as Apple doesn't allow any "true" browser to be distributed through their App Store, all alternative "browsers" available for iOS are really only an alternative UI wrapped around the guts of the iOS browser, accessible through the UIWebView Class.

        That said, to my knowledge any HTML, SVG, JavaScript or whatever that works or doesn't work with the default browser will likewise work or not work with any alternative browser.

        Thomas W.
      • peteypak
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
          Apparrently they do Thomas!
          ---
          Hi jamesd,

          I have just installed Chrome on my iPhone 4 for you. I also have Opera.

          The following:
          http://www.users.on.net/~pakulski/composite.svg
          (an image which looks like an anaglyph and two blended triangles)
          * Works in Opera
          * Shows the unmodified image in Chrome, but the triangles blended. It seems to freeze without ever finishing loading the page.
          * Displays the same in the built-in Safari as in Chrome, but doesn't have the never-loaded problem.

          From my research, filters work in:
          - Firefox since v3.0.0
          - Opera since v9.1 but with issues, since 9.5 happily
          - Chrome since v5
          - Safari never (up to v5)
          - IE Never (up to v9)
          source: http://www.codedread.com/svg-support-table.html
          also: http://caniuse.com/svg-filters

          HOWEVER: I am currently having issues generally with image compositing in different browsers, so there's a chance that my SVG has issues. I have another post pending to this list with more details, I expect it to be approved and appear soon.

          Good luck!

          -- Peter.
        • th_w@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2012
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "peteypak" <peter.pakulski@...> wrote:

            > Apparrently they do Thomas!

            In the case of Opera Mini you might argue they do because Opera Mini is kind of a "remote browser" that runs on a server. In the case of Chrome, they apparently don't:

            https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/faq

            Thomas W.
          • Jacob Beard
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
              Because, for security reasons, Apple doesn't allow apps built on WebView to
              JIT-compile JavaScript to machine code, as would normally occur in Safari,
              resulting WebView apps, including Chrome for iOS, are about 5x slower. This
              is an Apple problem, not a Chrome problem.

              Cheers,

              Jake