Re: Zoom In Out wih SVG

  • jamesd
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
      All I can say is that SVGpan is working extremely well for me. It allows the user to scroll the image on the trackpad without a mouse, I assume on a tablet you're finger swipe will do the same thing (Is that what you mean by touch events?).

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@...> wrote:

      > The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
      > actually work well, see e.g
      > http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
      > broken.
      >
      > Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without having
      > a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch events
      > in this library.
      >
      > --
      > Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
      > Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
      > Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

    • jamesd
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
        All I can say is that SVGpan is working extremely well for me. It allows the user to scroll the image on the trackpad without a mouse, I assume on a tablet you're finger swipe will do the same thing (Is that what you mean by touch events?).

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@...> wrote:

        > The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
        > actually work well, see e.g
        > http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
        > broken.
        >
        > Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without having
        > a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch events
        > in this library.
        >
        > --
        > Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
        > Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
        > Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

      • Erik Dahlstrom
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2012
          Panning with the SVGPan library seems to works in all the desktop browsers
          sure, but zooming doesn't work at all in Opera or IE because the library
          is doing browser sniffing and assuming the wrong things. And it's likely
          that the rate of zooming is different in the different browsers too, if
          that matters (see e.g
          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5527601/normalizing-mousewheel-speed-across-browsers).

          There are no listeners registered for touch events, so I'd be surprised if
          the panning worked as intended on tablets or mobile phones, and I'd be
          even more surprised if there was something like scrollwheel emulation on
          such devices, so probably you won't have the ability to zoom with SVGPan
          unless you hack the library yourself.

          To conclude, the SVGPan library works to its full extent only if:
          1) the user has a mouse
          2) the user is using a webkit- or mozilla-based browser

          These shortcomings can of course be fixed.

          If you want something that abstracts away the ways you trigger zooming and
          panning, D3.js has some behaviour helper methods to help you with that,
          see https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/src/behavior/drag.js and
          https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/src/behavior/zoom.js. An
          example of it being used: http://bl.ocks.org/1182434 - works fine on
          tablets as well as normal desktop systems. Or for a simpler example,
          https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/examples/zoom-pan/zoom-pan-transform.html.

          On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:14:50 +0200, jamesd <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

          > All I can say is that SVGpan is working extremely well for me. It allows
          > the user to scroll the image on the trackpad without a mouse, I assume
          > on a tablet you're finger swipe will do the same thing (Is that what you
          > mean by touch events?).
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@...> wrote:
          >
          >> The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
          >> actually work well, see e.g
          >> http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
          >> broken.
          >>
          >> Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without
          >> having
          >> a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch
          >> events
          >> in this library.
          >>
          >> --
          >> Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
          >> Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
          >> Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

          Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
        • Jason Barnabas
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
            > Dear All,
            >
            > I want to Implement zoom-in and out of the static map background and all sub
            >entities(that are placed on static map background on another layer) by
            >point-and-click on the map. Point clicked is centered as part of the zoom
            >operation
            >
            > Regards,
            > Barkha

            I don't know if you found the answer you were looking for, but I found:
            http://www.carto.net/svg/samples/viewbox.shtml

            I like this site and have found other useful tutorials there.

            I must be travelling,
            Jason

            tc+ ?23 ?mgt mt tne ?t20 t4++ ?t5 ?tp tg+ ?th ?to
            ru- ge++ 3i c++ jt- au+ ls pi+ ta+ he+

            kk++ hi+ as+ va+ dr ?ith vr ne so+ zh vi da sy
          • yannick.bochatay@free.fr
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
              I've worked on a library with zoom and pan features : http://ybochatay.fr/CariSVG/
              It works fine but I won't maintain it : I'm completely rewriting it with a wrapper (instead of working with prototypes), a better API and in a way to get autocompletion in Eclipse.
              Here's a first draft for mousewheel zoom, marquee zoom, magnifying glass and more : http://ybochatay/radar
              It works on all major browsers. The only problem is... it's not ready yet !
              Yannick

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 23, 2012
                Thanks all for replying,

                Now i'm stuck with the below mentioned scenario,

                Zoom in out functionality without panning is done by playing with Viewbox coordinates of root element of SVG,

                Drag and Drop of elements(From HTML Div to SVG Map and also from SVG Map to SVG Map) is implemented without zoom in.

                Now i want to zoom my svg map (where i'm placing elements by drag and drop) along with drag and drop of elements with the above mentioned possibilities of drag drop.so my question is,Is it possible/feasible to drag and drop elements while map is zoomed in?and if it is correct approach then how to get correct position of cursor in map while drop event of element?

                Regards,
                Barkha
              • yannick.bochatay@free.fr
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 23, 2012
                  Hi Barkha,
                  the getScreenCTM method will help you (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/types.html#__svg__SVGLocatable__getScreenCTM).
                  I wrote a little example : http://jsfiddle.net/ybochatay/aUYay/
                  by clicking in the svg area you'll get the coordinates of your mouse relatively to the specified viewbox.
                  Regards,
                  Yannick