Re: [svg-developers] Re: Zoom In Out wih SVG

  • Erik Dahlstrom
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
      On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:33:37 +0200, jamesd <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

      > SVGpan works extremely well. The only thing is that your map should be
      > in an iframe to avoid cross SVG confusion.
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/
      >
      > James

      The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
      actually work well, see e.g
      http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
      broken.

      Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without having
      a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch events
      in this library.

      Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
    • jamesd
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
        All I can say is that SVGpan is working extremely well for me. It allows the user to scroll the image on the trackpad without a mouse, I assume on a tablet you're finger swipe will do the same thing (Is that what you mean by touch events?).

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@...> wrote:

        > The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
        > actually work well, see e.g
        > http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
        > broken.
        >
        > Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without having
        > a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch events
        > in this library.
        >
        > --
        > Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
        > Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
        > Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

      • jamesd
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 8, 2012
            Panning with the SVGPan library seems to works in all the desktop browsers
            sure, but zooming doesn't work at all in Opera or IE because the library
            is doing browser sniffing and assuming the wrong things. And it's likely
            that the rate of zooming is different in the different browsers too, if
            that matters (see e.g
            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5527601/normalizing-mousewheel-speed-across-browsers).

            There are no listeners registered for touch events, so I'd be surprised if
            the panning worked as intended on tablets or mobile phones, and I'd be
            even more surprised if there was something like scrollwheel emulation on
            such devices, so probably you won't have the ability to zoom with SVGPan
            unless you hack the library yourself.

            To conclude, the SVGPan library works to its full extent only if:
            1) the user has a mouse
            2) the user is using a webkit- or mozilla-based browser

            These shortcomings can of course be fixed.

            If you want something that abstracts away the ways you trigger zooming and
            panning, D3.js has some behaviour helper methods to help you with that,
            see https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/src/behavior/drag.js and
            https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/src/behavior/zoom.js. An
            example of it being used: http://bl.ocks.org/1182434 - works fine on
            tablets as well as normal desktop systems. Or for a simpler example,
            https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/examples/zoom-pan/zoom-pan-transform.html.

            On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:14:50 +0200, jamesd <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

            > All I can say is that SVGpan is working extremely well for me. It allows
            > the user to scroll the image on the trackpad without a mouse, I assume
            > on a tablet you're finger swipe will do the same thing (Is that what you
            > mean by touch events?).
            >
            > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@...> wrote:
            >
            >> The SVGPan library has some bugs that needs to be patched in to make it
            >> actually work well, see e.g
            >> http://code.google.com/p/svgpan/issues/detail?id=6 for how badly it's
            >> broken.
            >>
            >> Also most people probably expect to be able to zoom and pan without
            >> having
            >> a mouse (or a scrollwheel mouse even). There's no support for touch
            >> events
            >> in this library.
            >>
            >> --
            >> Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
            >> Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
            >> Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed

            Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
          • Jason Barnabas
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
              > Dear All,
              >
              > I want to Implement zoom-in and out of the static map background and all sub
              >entities(that are placed on static map background on another layer) by
              >point-and-click on the map. Point clicked is centered as part of the zoom
              >operation
              >
              > Regards,
              > Barkha

              I don't know if you found the answer you were looking for, but I found:
              http://www.carto.net/svg/samples/viewbox.shtml

              I like this site and have found other useful tutorials there.

              I must be travelling,
              Jason

              tc+ ?23 ?mgt mt tne ?t20 t4++ ?t5 ?tp tg+ ?th ?to
              ru- ge++ 3i c++ jt- au+ ls pi+ ta+ he+

              kk++ hi+ as+ va+ dr ?ith vr ne so+ zh vi da sy
            • yannick.bochatay@free.fr
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2012
                I've worked on a library with zoom and pan features : http://ybochatay.fr/CariSVG/
                It works fine but I won't maintain it : I'm completely rewriting it with a wrapper (instead of working with prototypes), a better API and in a way to get autocompletion in Eclipse.
                Here's a first draft for mousewheel zoom, marquee zoom, magnifying glass and more : http://ybochatay/radar
                It works on all major browsers. The only problem is... it's not ready yet !
                Yannick

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 23 4:16 AM
                  Thanks all for replying,

                  Now i'm stuck with the below mentioned scenario,

                  Zoom in out functionality without panning is done by playing with Viewbox coordinates of root element of SVG,

                  Drag and Drop of elements(From HTML Div to SVG Map and also from SVG Map to SVG Map) is implemented without zoom in.

                  Now i want to zoom my svg map (where i'm placing elements by drag and drop) along with drag and drop of elements with the above mentioned possibilities of drag drop.so my question is,Is it possible/feasible to drag and drop elements while map is zoomed in?and if it is correct approach then how to get correct position of cursor in map while drop event of element?

                  Regards,
                  Barkha
                • yannick.bochatay@free.fr
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 23 4:59 AM
                    Hi Barkha,
                    the getScreenCTM method will help you (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/types.html#__svg__SVGLocatable__getScreenCTM).
                    I wrote a little example : http://jsfiddle.net/ybochatay/aUYay/
                    by clicking in the svg area you'll get the coordinates of your mouse relatively to the specified viewbox.
                    Regards,
                    Yannick