Re: [svg-developers] Help? What sites & blogs allow upload and viewing of animated SVG photos?

  • Jason Barnabas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
      raster2vectorjerry <pnzjerry@...> wrote:
      > I want to start displaying animated SVG photos that are created using our new
      >online animated SVG tool; however, it's rather hard to find sites that already
      >permit them for upload.
      >
      > I figure that a collaboration of SVG developers would be the perfect answer,
      >and maybe it might help a few other people as well.
      >
      > Also I intend to contact various platforms to encourage them to accept SVG as
      >an upload and download format. Anybody have any experiences on that? I'll
      >also make a separate post on that one later.
      >
      > Thank you for your help!!!

      You're welcome! ;-)

      I don't know of any sites that specifically allow SVG uploads, but I do know a
      trick that might let you get around those that do not. Instead of saving your
      image as imagename.svg you can save it as imagename.htm

      The browsers will recognize the .htm file as something they are supposed to
      handle and when they open it and see SVG markup they recognize it and just
      render appropriately.

      YMMV,
      Jason
    • David Dailey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
        I experimented briefly with Google sites (I think that is what it is called)
        a year or so ago, hoping to find a place where the SVG community could share
        a repository of fun examples, but it appeared, at the time, not to allow SVG
        content. Perhaps that has changed a bit by now, but I've not had a chance to
        look.

        Cheers
        David

        Don't know how helpful this would be, but one of the few major sites that
        allows SVG uploads is Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons. I don't think they can
        contain JavaScript but I've never tested it. SMIL animations and similar are
        allowed,

        On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, raster2vectorjerry
        <pnzjerry@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I want to start displaying animated SVG photos that are created using
        > our new online animated SVG tool; however, it's rather hard to find
        > sites that already permit them for upload.
        >
        > I figure that a collaboration of SVG developers would be the perfect
        > answer, and maybe it might help a few other people as well.
        >
        > Also I intend to contact various platforms to encourage them to accept
        > SVG as an upload and download format. Anybody have any experiences on
        that?
        > I'll also make a separate post on that one later.
        >
        > Thank you for your help!!!

      • raster2vectorjerry
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
          Hi Marty,

          Thank you for the reply! Our animations are using SMIL. We will have app developers put the animations in iFrames but would prefer to not have to go that route from day 1.

          PS. We don't have our online service on multiple servers yet, but you are welcome to take us for a spin and animate a photo online. Please go to www.Pac-n-Zoom.com and click the "Cloud" link. It's free for now so don't use the shopping cart. www.Pac-n-Zoom.com also has links to a few simple animated SVG example. We expect to add more SVG animation functions late this week.

          Thank you again for your help!

          Jerry

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Marty Sullivan <dark3251@...> wrote:

          > Don't know how helpful this would be, but one of the few major sites that
          > allows SVG uploads is Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons. I don't think they can
          > contain JavaScript but I've never tested it. SMIL animations and similar
          > are allowed,
          >
          > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, raster2vectorjerry <pnzjerry@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I want to start displaying animated SVG photos that are created using our
          > > new online animated SVG tool; however, it's rather hard to find sites that
          > > already permit them for upload.
          > >
          > > I figure that a collaboration of SVG developers would be the perfect
          > > answer, and maybe it might help a few other people as well.
          > >
          > > Also I intend to contact various platforms to encourage them to accept SVG
          > > as an upload and download format. Anybody have any experiences on that?
          > > I'll also make a separate post on that one later.
          > >
          > > Thank you for your help!!!

        • raster2vectorjerry
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
            Hi David,

            Thank you for your input! Google still doesn't accept SVG yet. I have been given two contacts at Google that should improve my chances of getting them to accept SVG. I'll be contacting (attempting anyway) them later this week. If I can make a compelling enough case then maybe I might get lucky and have it benefit us all.

            If you have time please check out our online SVG animation tool at www.Pac-n-Zoom.com and click on the "Cloud" link. I intend to send you some comparisons to RaveGrid this week.

            Best Regards,

            Jerry

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

            > I experimented briefly with Google sites (I think that is what it is called)
            > a year or so ago, hoping to find a place where the SVG community could share
            > a repository of fun examples, but it appeared, at the time, not to allow SVG
            > content. Perhaps that has changed a bit by now, but I've not had a chance to
            > look.
            >
            > Cheers
            > David

          • raster2vectorjerry
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012
              Hi Jason,

              Thank you for the suggestion. Our technology creates animated SVG online, using Firefox to convert the photos into SVG and then to animate selected parts within the photos. We use SMIL which means that IE-9 is still worthless for animated SVG and needs the Adobe SVG Viewer. Opera seems to display the animations best.

              Our goal is to offer our tool to app developers so they can incorporate it inside some cool new apps that make them money (thereby also making us money too). We will tell them to do this in iFrames if the have to, but we would rather gain faster traction by getting some platforms or sites to accept SVG uploads early on.

              Based upon your suggestion, I tried a few sites to see if I could upload *.htm files at Tumblr and Facebook; however, they didn't like that format either. I haven't had a chance to try others yet but I will.

              Thank you again for your kind offer of advice, it was very greatly appreciated! Please check us out at www.Pac-n-Zoom.com and animate SVG online. We only have SVG functions "resize" and "move" in straight lines but later this week we will let users "rotate" and "skew". In about 2 more weeks we should enable them to also use opacity. Using our tool is a bit awkward and without much user help at the moment BUT that will improve of course...besides it's free for now anyway!

              Best Regards,

              Jerry

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jason Barnabas <jtbarnabas@...> wrote:

              > raster2vectorjerry <pnzjerry@...> wrote:
              > > I want to start displaying animated SVG photos that are created using our new
              > >online animated SVG tool; however, it's rather hard to find sites that already
              > >permit them for upload.
              > >
              > > I figure that a collaboration of SVG developers would be the perfect answer,
              > >and maybe it might help a few other people as well.
              > >
              > > Also I intend to contact various platforms to encourage them to accept SVG as
              > >an upload and download format. Anybody have any experiences on that? I'll
              > >also make a separate post on that one later.
              > >
              > > Thank you for your help!!!
              >

              > You're welcome! ;-)
              >
              > I don't know of any sites that specifically allow SVG uploads, but I do know a
              > trick that might let you get around those that do not. Instead of saving your
              > image as imagename.svg you can save it as imagename.htm
              >
              > The browsers will recognize the .htm file as something they are supposed to
              > handle and when they open it and see SVG markup they recognize it and just
              > render appropriately.
              >
              > YMMV,
              > Jason

            • Andrew Matseevsky
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2012
                ________________________________

                Hi Marty,

                Thank you for the reply! Our animations are using SMIL. We will have app developers put the animations in iFrames but would prefer to not have to go that route from day 1.

                PS. We don't have our online service on multiple servers yet, but you are welcome to take us for a spin and animate a photo online. Please go to www.Pac-n-Zoom.com and click the "Cloud" link. It's free for now so don't use the shopping cart. www.Pac-n-Zoom.com also has links to a few simple animated SVG example. We expect to add more SVG animation functions late this week.

                Thank you again for your help!

                Jerry

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Marty Sullivan <dark3251@...> wrote:

                > Don't know how helpful this would be, but one of the few major sites that
                > allows SVG uploads is Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons. I don't think they can
                > contain JavaScript but I've never tested it. SMIL animations and similar
                > are allowed,
                >
                > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, raster2vectorjerry <pnzjerry@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I want to start displaying animated SVG photos that are created using our
                > > new online animated SVG tool; however, it's rather hard to find sites that
                > > already permit them for upload.
                > >
                > > I figure that a collaboration of SVG developers would be the perfect
                > > answer, and maybe it might help a few other people as well.
                > >
                > > Also I intend to contact various platforms to encourage them to accept SVG
                > > as an upload and download format. Anybody have any experiences on that?
                > > I'll also make a separate post on that one later.
                > >
                > > Thank you for your help!!!

                Once I tried to upload an animated png to FaceBook, but this site converted it to jpg. One the other hand, it is not a good idea to make animation from 24bpp images- resulting apng will be too large.