Re: SVG for print graphics

  • james_ingram_svg
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Lal" <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

      > [...] I do not think there are going to be any serious problems when printing.

      I agree with Pranav. I'm using SVG for writing music notation, and have no problems printing.

      James
    • th_w@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wendellxe" <wendellxe@...> wrote:

        > I'm evaluating graphics formats for a project to programmatically generate illustrations for inclusion in print documents.

        What kind of print documents are we talking about, or more precisely, what would be the workflow to generate the print documents?

        I'm using rsvg-convert and Ghostscript to prepare SVGs for use with LaTeX. Secifically, like this (on a Linux machine), because pdflatex wasn't happy with the PDF level:

        rsvg-convert -f pdf in.svg | gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -o=out.pdf -

        Librsvg and Ghostscript are also available for Windows[1][2][3]. Other options for conversion to PDF and other formats would be Inkscape[4] (optionally from the command line[5]) or Batik[6], the latter using Apache FOP, an XSL-FO processor, to generate PDF or EPS graphics. XSL-FO is for generating print documents and I read SVG support was good among different XSL-FO implementations, though I've never used XSL-FO myself.

        If EPS graphics are useful for you, you should however be aware that SVG features like opacity, filters or maybe gradients might be rasterized during the SVG to EPS conversion process. Not a problem in itself, but then it might be preferable to be converting to raster graphics in the first place (I'd suggest PNG and in general strongly discourage using JPEG when converting SVGs).

        Thomas W.

        [1] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/librsvg/
        [2] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win64/librsvg/
        [3] http://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html