Re: SVG for print graphics

  • james_ingram_svg
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Pranav Lal" <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

      > [...] I do not think there are going to be any serious problems when printing.

      I agree with Pranav. I'm using SVG for writing music notation, and have no problems printing.

      James
    • philsvg
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
        Hello,

        I am using svg to programmaticaly generate print documents in web navigators, since years. It is perfect in this case and equivalent in precision than pdf and more simple to generate, and it is the only way if you want modify your documents "on the fly" before print it. The limit was from navigators abilities to print documents. Last years, there was a wonderful improvement to follow svg w3c requirements for IE (windows has the best printing results) and print management improvements for others.

        What was difficult with svg was to include your svg illustrations inside an other existing document (graphics, word processor ...). I don't know how it is now, but few years ago, it was not easy to include any svg inside an other software, without bitmap conversion. Generally, when i need a graphic produced with svg, i convert it in bitmap (with inkscape), and paste it in the final document. You can increase dpi to satisfy graphics peoples.

        Does an evaluation of softwares comparing svg compatibility exists somewhere? import of document and copy/pas of elements. (ie : copy/paste svg graph from inkscape to libreoffice fails)

        Hope this helps
        Philippe
        http://www.visualkit.com

      • th_w@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2012
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "wendellxe" <wendellxe@...> wrote:

          > I'm evaluating graphics formats for a project to programmatically generate illustrations for inclusion in print documents.

          What kind of print documents are we talking about, or more precisely, what would be the workflow to generate the print documents?

          I'm using rsvg-convert and Ghostscript to prepare SVGs for use with LaTeX. Secifically, like this (on a Linux machine), because pdflatex wasn't happy with the PDF level:

          rsvg-convert -f pdf in.svg | gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -o=out.pdf -

          Librsvg and Ghostscript are also available for Windows[1][2][3]. Other options for conversion to PDF and other formats would be Inkscape[4] (optionally from the command line[5]) or Batik[6], the latter using Apache FOP, an XSL-FO processor, to generate PDF or EPS graphics. XSL-FO is for generating print documents and I read SVG support was good among different XSL-FO implementations, though I've never used XSL-FO myself.

          If EPS graphics are useful for you, you should however be aware that SVG features like opacity, filters or maybe gradients might be rasterized during the SVG to EPS conversion process. Not a problem in itself, but then it might be preferable to be converting to raster graphics in the first place (I'd suggest PNG and in general strongly discourage using JPEG when converting SVGs).

          Thomas W.

          [1] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/librsvg/
          [2] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win64/librsvg/
          [3] http://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html