SVG IDE

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2011
      Our CompSci department has approved a new course to start offering in the
      fall of 2012: Web Graphics. It'll deal a bit with <canvas>, JavaScript,
      color theory, graphical algorithms, CSS and, of course, SVG (if there is any
      left after the CSS invaders have taken their plunder!). I'm interested in
      equipping the labs (for these courses and half a dozen other web programming
      courses) with proper software.

      The last time we had such a discussion here, one or three years ago I asked
      people where they did their SVG development and the notes at
      http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Authoring_tools_and_editors were an
      attempt to consolidate the results at that time.

      Since then, a few utterly predictable things happened though: Microsoft
      decided to support SVG (duh!); Adobe reversed course and came back into the
      sweet spot; Silverlight and Flash started to look a lot less promising and,
      lo and behold, SVG is sort of now, the only game in town (unless you want to
      hire unemployed JavaScript programmers to write 400 line <canvas> programs
      for you) for doing declarative graphics, animation and the like).*

      Adobe's authoring suite seems to be making considerable inroads into the SVG
      arena as their presentations at SVG Open indicated, but what else is going
      on?

      Has anyone experimented with HTML -KIT Tools? I see they have a lot of new
      SVG 1.1 support. How about new versions of OxyGen. Is Aptana any closer to
      recognizing that SVG has entered center stage? Have any of the seven dwarves
      (notepad ++, Komposer, textpad, GEdit, etc.) given us a way of previewing
      SVG without having to save and open a browser?

      Do Firebug or Dragonfly yet realize that authoring is not always modifying
      existing code?

      Does Inkscape or SVG Edit yet give us a code-hinting and code completion in
      an editing window for those who need to program their graphics?

      So many questions!

      The "proper" environment has all that, and the ability to modify drawings in
      a GUI and go back and forth to ones markup (it'd be nice if as I stretch the
      graphic or drag it, it would also create appropriate <animate> or
      <replicate> as requested), and a flow-chart editor for filters that displays
      intermediate results, in little boxes, sort of like that thing Patrick
      Dengler showed us a couple of months ago.

      Right now I'm leaning toward Dreamweaver, but other opinions are very
      welcome. In addition to outfitting the labs, I'm also interested in keeping
      the page at SVG/IG current (heck, it's live editable web space!) and who
      knows, maybe while I'm at it, I'll write a book too!

      Cheers

      David

      *Or I suppose you can work really hard to make sure that no shred of
      geometric semantics is left in markup and then all aspects of the visual
      cortex are rendered as mere artifacts of "presentation" and thence the W3C
      may confine its standards to the temporal lobe where "text" used to be
      processed, at least ancestrally, when it was all about sound for a time, and
      after we started picking vegetables[1].

      [1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svgOpen2009/blurb4.html