Re: [svg-developers] SVG editors?

  • John Delacour
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
      At 22:25 +0000 05/06/2011, afuji1024 wrote:

      >I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know
      >nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if
      >I can find one...
      >
      >In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in
      >JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?

      I create all my SVG in Perl, using a private module that I add
      functions to as new requirements arise. The source of most of the
      SVG I see is impossibly verbose and inefficient, like html created by
      some Microsoft programme. If I were you I'd decide which language to
      work with and do the equivalent of what I do with Perl.

      JD
    • Jeff Schiller
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
        Just an FYI, you can use scour to clean up SVG output by editors...

        Jeff

        On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

        > At 22:25 +0000 05/06/2011, afuji1024 wrote:
        >
        > >I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know
        > >nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if
        > >I can find one...
        >

        > >In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in
        > >JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?
        >
        > I create all my SVG in Perl, using a private module that I add
        > functions to as new requirements arise. The source of most of the
        > SVG I see is impossibly verbose and inefficient, like html created by
        > some Microsoft programme. If I were you I'd decide which language to
        > work with and do the equivalent of what I do with Perl.
        >
        > JD

      • mikh2161
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 12, 2011
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "afuji1024" <abab867@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if I can find one. This should ideally let me -
          >
          > 1 - place a zoom control in the image
          > 2 - place a pan control in the image
          > 3 - do various things on mouseovers - pop up a data box, highlight chart points
          > 4 - create scatter and time-line charts from my own dataset, with legends, axes, and so on.
          >
          > The idea is that, once I get a basic template from the editor, I can write C code to directly generate the SVG.
          >
          > I've spent hours looking, and I can't find any commercial or free apps that can do anything like this. Have I missed something? It seems that SVG editor development stopped several years ago, and various editors have been discontinued. I can't even find example SVG code that does anything similar to this.
          >
          > In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks -
          >
          > Al

          Yes, you could use JavaScript. But it's nice to have a file you can save to hard disk and look at later and be assured the data is the same. (Or not, if you're trying to obfuscate your data.)