SVG editors?

  • afuji1024
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2011
      I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if I can find one. This should ideally let me -

      1 - place a zoom control in the image
      2 - place a pan control in the image
      3 - do various things on mouseovers - pop up a data box, highlight chart points
      4 - create scatter and time-line charts from my own dataset, with legends, axes, and so on.

      The idea is that, once I get a basic template from the editor, I can write C code to directly generate the SVG.

      I've spent hours looking, and I can't find any commercial or free apps that can do anything like this. Have I missed something? It seems that SVG editor development stopped several years ago, and various editors have been discontinued. I can't even find example SVG code that does anything similar to this.

      In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?

      Thanks -

      Al
    • afuji1024
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
        I don't know how the links to old questions appeared below - is that automatic? Cool, but the answers are 10 years old; we might as well be on a different planet. Webdraw disappeared long ago. I don't know how relevant Illustrator is, but I've got a feeling that you need the Adobe plug-in as well, which is a no-no.
      • jonfrostsvg
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
          > I don't know how the links to old questions appeared below - is that automatic? Cool, but the answers are 10 years old; we might as well be on a different planet. Webdraw disappeared long ago. I don't know how relevant Illustrator is, but I've got a feeling that you need the Adobe plug-in as well, which is a no-no.

          The old thread appeared due to the subject line. We would probably need an old-thread archive feature to prevent that.

          The state of SVG editors/IDEs for programmers is very poor at the moment other than a few good vector drawing apps including Inkscape, SVG-Edit, and Illustrator. It is an enormous task, but it would be great to collaborate on building a solid SVG IDE.

          You might find the current Sharp Vectors project worth checking out as they are currently building c# apps using a c# SVG DOM. The current release focuses on WPF but the next version will support GDI as well - though you may be working on linux.
          http://sharpvectors.codeplex.com/

          Best of luck.
        • John Delacour
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
            At 22:25 +0000 05/06/2011, afuji1024 wrote:

            >I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know
            >nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if
            >I can find one...
            >
            >In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in
            >JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?

            I create all my SVG in Perl, using a private module that I add
            functions to as new requirements arise. The source of most of the
            SVG I see is impossibly verbose and inefficient, like html created by
            some Microsoft programme. If I were you I'd decide which language to
            work with and do the equivalent of what I do with Perl.

            JD
          • Jeff Schiller
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6, 2011
              Just an FYI, you can use scour to clean up SVG output by editors...

              Jeff

              On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM, John Delacour <JD@...> wrote:

              > At 22:25 +0000 05/06/2011, afuji1024 wrote:
              >
              > >I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know
              > >nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if
              > >I can find one...
              >

              > >In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in
              > >JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?
              >
              > I create all my SVG in Perl, using a private module that I add
              > functions to as new requirements arise. The source of most of the
              > SVG I see is impossibly verbose and inefficient, like html created by
              > some Microsoft programme. If I were you I'd decide which language to
              > work with and do the equivalent of what I do with Perl.
              >
              > JD

            • mikh2161
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 12, 2011
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "afuji1024" <abab867@...> wrote:

                > I'd like to create SVG charts from a database app. However, I know nothing about creating SVG, so I'd like to start with an editor, if I can find one. This should ideally let me -
                >
                > 1 - place a zoom control in the image
                > 2 - place a pan control in the image
                > 3 - do various things on mouseovers - pop up a data box, highlight chart points
                > 4 - create scatter and time-line charts from my own dataset, with legends, axes, and so on.
                >
                > The idea is that, once I get a basic template from the editor, I can write C code to directly generate the SVG.
                >
                > I've spent hours looking, and I can't find any commercial or free apps that can do anything like this. Have I missed something? It seems that SVG editor development stopped several years ago, and various editors have been discontinued. I can't even find example SVG code that does anything similar to this.
                >
                > In fact, the more I read the more it seems that I need to do this in JavaScript, rather than directly creating images. Any thoughts?
                >
                > Thanks -
                >
                > Al

                Yes, you could use JavaScript. But it's nice to have a file you can save to hard disk and look at later and be assured the data is the same. (Or not, if you're trying to obfuscate your data.)