running IE9 and ASV

  • David Dailey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2011
      I'm trying to do some cross browser testing on a machine running Windows 7.
      Is there a way to perform tests using IE9 (which is installed), but still be
      able to see what things look like in ASV? There were some recent tests
      involving text alignment that I reported here a few months ago where all
      modern browsers failed miserably, but IE/ASV seemed to do it correctly, and
      I am interested in checking my work without having to drive to the office
      (where there are legacy machines to be found).

      Cheers

    • Jacob Beard
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2011
        I think the canonical approach to testing different configurations of IE is
        to simply run a virtual machine. Microsoft provides images for their free
        Virtual PC emulator:

        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef

        <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef>
        Jake

        On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@...>wrote:

        > I'm trying to do some cross browser testing on a machine running Windows 7.
        > Is there a way to perform tests using IE9 (which is installed), but still
        > be
        > able to see what things look like in ASV? There were some recent tests
        > involving text alignment that I reported here a few months ago where all
        > modern browsers failed miserably, but IE/ASV seemed to do it correctly, and
        > I am interested in checking my work without having to drive to the office
        > (where there are legacy machines to be found).
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > David

      • tonyschr
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2011
          It should be easier than that. I don't have a machine to test this on right now, but offhand three things that should work:

          1) Embed the SVG using the 'object' tag and set the page meta tag for X-UA-Compatible to something earlier than IE9 mode. Or use the developer toolbar to trigger an earlier mode.

          2) Again with the 'object' tag, explicitly specify the CLSID of the ASV instead of just type="image/svg+xml". You could also use the deprecated image/svg-xml, but that's a hack...

          3) Install the ASV after IE9 and double-click the .svg file.

          If this doesn't work let me know. Out of curiosity I'd be interested in learning about the text alignment issues you encountered.

          - Tony Schreiner [MSFT]

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jacob Beard <jbeard4@...> wrote:

          > I think the canonical approach to testing different configurations of IE is
          > to simply run a virtual machine. Microsoft provides images for their free
          > Virtual PC emulator:
          >
          > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef
          >
          > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef>
          > Jake
          >
          > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@...>wrote:
          >

          > > I'm trying to do some cross browser testing on a machine running Windows 7.
          > > Is there a way to perform tests using IE9 (which is installed), but still
          > > be
          > > able to see what things look like in ASV? There were some recent tests
          > > involving text alignment that I reported here a few months ago where all
          > > modern browsers failed miserably, but IE/ASV seemed to do it correctly, and
          > > I am interested in checking my work without having to drive to the office
          > > (where there are legacy machines to be found).
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > David

        • David Dailey
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2011
            Wow Tony! I tried your first suggestion and it worked! Thanks.

            Thanks also to Jacob for your suggestion, I was about to do it until Tony's
            suggestion arrived. Two browsers in one; very cool! I don't know quite how
            it works but it will be quite handy.

            My report on the text alignment issues and some ensuing discussion can be
            seen at

            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2011May/0141.html and threads
            leading from there.

            A correction though: IE/ASV and Opera seem to agree, but with the problem
            that neither gives the method for top-alignment of text (even with script)
            that I'm seeking. Most browsers seem to interpret getExtentOfChar()
            differently than Opera, ASV and I would, and unfortunately, it looks as
            though the spec is sufficiently vague or misleading that it leaves SVG with
            utterly no way to handle some standard typographical effects.

            regards

            David

            <mailto:svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com> , Jacob Beard <jbeard4@...> wrote:

            > I think the canonical approach to testing different configurations of IE
            is
            > to simply run a virtual machine. Microsoft provides images for their free
            > Virtual PC emulator:

            http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b
            64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef

            <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4
            b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef>
            > Jake
            >
            > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@...>wrote:
            >

            > > I'm trying to do some cross browser testing on a machine running Windows
            7.
            > > Is there a way to perform tests using IE9 (which is installed), but
            still
            > > be
            > > able to see what things look like in ASV? There were some recent tests
            > > involving text alignment that I reported here a few months ago where all
            > > modern browsers failed miserably, but IE/ASV seemed to do it correctly,
            and
            > > I am interested in checking my work without having to drive to the
            office
            > > (where there are legacy machines to be found).
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > David

          • mikh2161
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2011
              ASV works fine with IE9 right now out of the box as far as I can tell.

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "tonyschr" <tonyschr@...> wrote:

              > It should be easier than that. I don't have a machine to test this on right now, but offhand three things that should work:
              >
              > 1) Embed the SVG using the 'object' tag and set the page meta tag for X-UA-Compatible to something earlier than IE9 mode. Or use the developer toolbar to trigger an earlier mode.
              >
              > 2) Again with the 'object' tag, explicitly specify the CLSID of the ASV instead of just type="image/svg+xml". You could also use the deprecated image/svg-xml, but that's a hack...
              >
              > 3) Install the ASV after IE9 and double-click the .svg file.
              >
              > If this doesn't work let me know. Out of curiosity I'd be interested in learning about the text alignment issues you encountered.
              >
              > - Tony Schreiner [MSFT]
              >
              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jacob Beard <jbeard4@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think the canonical approach to testing different configurations of IE is
              > > to simply run a virtual machine. Microsoft provides images for their free
              > > Virtual PC emulator:
              > >
              > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef
              > >
              > > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef>
              > > Jake
              > >
              > > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Dailey <ddailey@>wrote:
              > >

              > > > I'm trying to do some cross browser testing on a machine running Windows 7.
              > > > Is there a way to perform tests using IE9 (which is installed), but still
              > > > be
              > > > able to see what things look like in ASV? There were some recent tests
              > > > involving text alignment that I reported here a few months ago where all
              > > > modern browsers failed miserably, but IE/ASV seemed to do it correctly, and
              > > > I am interested in checking my work without having to drive to the office
              > > > (where there are legacy machines to be found).
              > > >
              > > > Cheers
              > > >
              > > > David

            • Narcis
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
                Hey David,

                Can you post an example of using Tony's first sugestion?

                Thank you!