Re: [svg-developers] svgs used as tiles in a slippy map?

  • Jacob Beard
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2011
      I think I remember hearing that openlayers supported SVG tiles.

      Jake

      On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Cisco <cisco_s@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone use a slippy map system, and have it reference your svg files
      > (instead of getting geographic data from a tile server)?
      >
      > I'm currently struggling with "polymaps" (polymaps.org), because its
      > supposed to work directly with svg. However, I'm having difficulty
      > understanding how I'm supposed to reference the svg files. The polymaps
      > documentation is very *spartan*, to say the least.
      >
      > Other systems, like openstreets, have tutorials that all seem to assume
      > you're pulling raster geographic tiles from a big tile server somewhere, and
      > that you're required to supply a geographic projection.
      >
      > The "map" I'm trying to display is a 10x11 grid of svgs (each one is about
      > 1.5 megs in size), representing an imaginary galaxy, each one that can be
      > zoomed into greatly, to see individual planets, or zoomed out to see nebula
      > clouds. Its flat 2d - no geographic warping involved. Its similar to the one
      > at http://www.travellermap.com/

    • David Dailey
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2011
        What a wonderful sounding project! I'm unable to help, but would be
        delighted to know of your progress as it unfolds.

        Cheers

        David

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2011
          You will want to check out the progress that has been made in this area with the Pergola library over at Dotuscomus.com
          http://www.dotuscomus.com/pergola/

          Pergola actually harnesses the PolyMaps.org project and allows for layers of SVG to be added to the slippery map. The primary developer, Domenico S., is amazing and will be able to wire up most anything you ask for as he has been doing a lot of research in this area for the last few months. As an example, the "Layers" menu option adds an SVG polygon to the map. Pushpins can be added as well:

          http://www.dotuscomus.com/pergola/download/pergola_1.25/Examples/BingMaps/BingWindow.svg#12.00/37.7649/-122.4195

          Referencing 1.5MB of SVG data is more than I have tested, but this should be possible.

          Enjoy, and yes, please keep us posted.
          Jon

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "David Dailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

          > What a wonderful sounding project! I'm unable to help, but would be
          > delighted to know of your progress as it unfolds.
          >

          > Cheers
          >
          > David

        • Cisco
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2011
            Well, my company is keeping the project hidden from the public for now, but progress has been good. I've run into some problems, which I've figured out, or made work-arounds for. One thing I found out was that the iPhone's javascript engine is veeeerrryyy sloooowwwwww. And so that means I had to avoid using any big javascript loops for generating dynamic svg elements, as much as possible. What takes about 1 second for a regular desktop computer browser to loop through, can take an eternity on the iphone (well, several seconds anyways). Pre-digested, easy to swallow, bites of svg code needs to be spoon fed to the iphone, through carefully controlled ajax calls.

            The map is quite "slippy" now, and very responsive on the iphone. Now I need to add more details to the map, depending on zoom level, and add some mouseup interactivity, which will bring up dialog boxes and menus, depending on what hex or planet you click on.