Cannot open an svg file with the IE

  • fuliopen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2011
      Hello,

      I created the following svg file:

      http://www.pinyinology.com/shuangWen/lang2a.svg

      Opening it with the FF and Chrome is OK, but with the IE, I got the following
      message:

      The XML page cannot be displayed
      Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
      click the Refresh button, or try again later.

      ________________________________

      Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing resource
      'http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11...
      My code for the head of the file is as follows:

      <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>

      <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

      <svg width="100%" height="100%" version="1.1"
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">

      If anyone knows what the problem is, please help me.

      Thanks for your expertise.

      fulio pen

    • Jeff Schiller
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2011
        What version of IE? Only IE9+ supports the SVG file type.

        Jeff

        On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM, fuliopen <fuliopen@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I created the following svg file:
        >
        > http://www.pinyinology.com/shuangWen/lang2a.svg
        >
        > Opening it with the FF and Chrome is OK, but with the IE, I got the
        > following
        > message:
        >
        > The XML page cannot be displayed
        > Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
        > click the Refresh button, or try again later.
        >
        > ________________________________
        >
        > Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
        > resource
        > 'http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11...
        > My code for the head of the file is as follows:
        >
        > <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
        >
        > <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
        > "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
        >
        > <svg width="100%" height="100%" version="1.1"
        > xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
        >
        > If anyone knows what the problem is, please help me.
        >
        > Thanks for your expertise.
        >
        > fulio pen

      • David Dailey
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2011
          Hi Fuliopen

          My IE9 sees what you did just fine, I think: a few circles, some dashed and
          some not, describing what appears to be a transition of Chinese writing from
          ideographic to phonemic. (the topic interests me!)

          If you're looking at it from IE8 or earlier, then I would be suspicious of
          the doctype and xml stuff:

          <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>

          <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"

          "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

          If you have the ASV viewer for IE8 or below, then it is likely to render and
          I don't know why it wouldn't.

          David

          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2011
            Hello,

            Thank you all for your help. I am still using IE8 which came with the XP.
            Probably this is why the svg file doesn't display on the IE browser. The svg
            file is included in the following html file, and there are a lot of problems:

            http://www.pinyinology.com/shuangWen/shuangWen.html

            Opening the above file with the Chrome, the drawing displays very well. With
            the FF, it asks to download plug-ins time and again, but the svg drawing never
            appears. With IE8, the drawing displays, but all the arrows in the drawing
            disappear. Following is the code of embedding the svg file in the .html file.

            <embed src="lang2a.svg" width="1000" height="450"
            type="image/svg+xml"
            pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/" />

            Following is the svg file:
            http://www.pinyinology.com/shuangWen/lang2a.svg

            I am expecting help from experts in this group.

            Thanks a lot in advance.