Use in HTML. Who's Right, Who's Wrong.

  • jamesd
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      A while back I asked about the use element in HTML. I taught myself some CSS and got it to work... Somewhat.

      It works in Chrome - But no filter support

      Tries to work in Firefox - Doesn't display properly. but has filter support

      Doesn't display at all in Opera - Whats up with Opera SVG support?

      Anyway, before I do bug reports I thought I'd ask wiser folks if this is indeed a bug. Should this be possible to do? Seems like it would be beneficial for multiple items in HTML.

      You can view the file at:

      http://jdsvg.com/use_test.html

      Your help is appreciated.

      James
    • Francis Hemsher
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hi James,
        You'll be pleased to know your site works well in IE9.
        Therefore, you can remove IE from your BOZO list :)

        As for the use element: IE9 does not yet have the ability to resize each use element(reported as a bug).

        Regards,
        Francis

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesd" <jcdeering1@...> wrote:

        > A while back I asked about the use element in HTML. I taught myself some CSS and got it to work... Somewhat.
        >
        > It works in Chrome - But no filter support
        >
        > Tries to work in Firefox - Doesn't display properly. but has filter support
        >
        > Doesn't display at all in Opera - Whats up with Opera SVG support?
        >
        > Anyway, before I do bug reports I thought I'd ask wiser folks if this is indeed a bug. Should this be possible to do? Seems like it would be beneficial for multiple items in HTML.
        >
        > You can view the file at:
        >
        > http://jdsvg.com/use_test.html
        >
        > Your help is appreciated.
        >
        > James

      • Guy Morton
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          Interesting rant on your site. You do know that Safari is built from the same codebase as Chrome, don't you? But one is a real browser and the other isn't?

          Apple has been one of the main protagonists in the fight for better standards support on the web. Their (I think brave) decision to not support Flash on iOS has done more to push standards (and SVG) into the spotlight than any other single decision by any other company in the last few years. It made a whole bunch of people look at HTML5 who otherwise would have stuck with Flash and the status quo, and that has to be good for SVG.

          So, I think it's a bit much to claim Apple is against standards on the web when, if it weren't for Apple, Microsoft would not even be bothering with HTML5 support in IE at all. They'd still be pushing Silverlight, and SVG and other standards would be being pushed out and ignored, as they largely have for the last 10 years, mainly thanks to MS and IE flouting and ignoring them.

          Apple and Google are the ones doing the most, at the moment*, to help web standards to thrive. If you care about SVG you should be thanking Apple, not criticising them.

          Guy

          * The mozilla project and the Opera guys have also been important in creating this change, but in terms of getting critical mass, Chrome and the iOS are the bigger drivers today. Sometimes the power of the big corporation can do good in the world and we should acknowledge that when it happens.

          On 02/04/2011, at 9:57 AM, jamesd wrote:

          > A while back I asked about the use element in HTML. I taught myself some CSS and got it to work... Somewhat.
          >
          > It works in Chrome - But no filter support
          >
          > Tries to work in Firefox - Doesn't display properly. but has filter support
          >
          > Doesn't display at all in Opera - Whats up with Opera SVG support?
          >
          > Anyway, before I do bug reports I thought I'd ask wiser folks if this is indeed a bug. Should this be possible to do? Seems like it would be beneficial for multiple items in HTML.
          >
          > You can view the file at:
          >
          > http://jdsvg.com/use_test.html
          >
          > Your help is appreciated.
          >
          > James

        • Guy Morton
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            And btw, your site looks fine in Safari...not much different to how it looks in Chrome in fact.

            You do know your browser reviews link is broken, right?

            Also, why don't you help the "Bozos" (no need for an apostrophe) by putting some helpful download links for Chrome and Firefox on your front page?

            There's an old saying "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar" that you might like to ponder. I don't think telling people they are idiots is a great way to get them to change...

            Guy

            On 02/04/2011, at 10:21 AM, Guy Morton wrote:

            > Interesting rant on your site. You do know that Safari is built from the same codebase as Chrome, don't you? But one is a real browser and the other isn't?
            >
            > Apple has been one of the main protagonists in the fight for better standards support on the web. Their (I think brave) decision to not support Flash on iOS has done more to push standards (and SVG) into the spotlight than any other single decision by any other company in the last few years. It made a whole bunch of people look at HTML5 who otherwise would have stuck with Flash and the status quo, and that has to be good for SVG.
            >
            > So, I think it's a bit much to claim Apple is against standards on the web when, if it weren't for Apple, Microsoft would not even be bothering with HTML5 support in IE at all. They'd still be pushing Silverlight, and SVG and other standards would be being pushed out and ignored, as they largely have for the last 10 years, mainly thanks to MS and IE flouting and ignoring them.
            >
            > Apple and Google are the ones doing the most, at the moment*, to help web standards to thrive. If you care about SVG you should be thanking Apple, not criticising them.
            >
            > Guy
            >

            > * The mozilla project and the Opera guys have also been important in creating this change, but in terms of getting critical mass, Chrome and the iOS are the bigger drivers today. Sometimes the power of the big corporation can do good in the world and we should acknowledge that when it happens.
            >

            > On 02/04/2011, at 9:57 AM, jamesd wrote:
            >
            >> A while back I asked about the use element in HTML. I taught myself some CSS and got it to work... Somewhat.
            >>
            >> It works in Chrome - But no filter support
            >>
            >> Tries to work in Firefox - Doesn't display properly. but has filter support
            >>
            >> Doesn't display at all in Opera - Whats up with Opera SVG support?
            >>
            >> Anyway, before I do bug reports I thought I'd ask wiser folks if this is indeed a bug. Should this be possible to do? Seems like it would be beneficial for multiple items in HTML.
            >>
            >> You can view the file at:
            >>
            >> http://jdsvg.com/use_test.html
            >>
            >> Your help is appreciated.
            >>
            >> James

          • Guy Morton
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
              Perhaps he should qualify it as IE<9, since hardly anyone will have IE9 anytime soon, sadly. All those XP users will be stuck on IE8 or worse for many years to come.

              On 02/04/2011, at 10:13 AM, Francis Hemsher wrote:

              > Hi James,
              > You'll be pleased to know your site works well in IE9.
              > Therefore, you can remove IE from your BOZO list :)
              >
              > As for the use element: IE9 does not yet have the ability to resize each use element(reported as a bug).
              >
              > Regards,
              > Francis
              >

              > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesd" <jcdeering1@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> A while back I asked about the use element in HTML. I taught myself some CSS and got it to work... Somewhat.
              >>
              >> It works in Chrome - But no filter support
              >>
              >> Tries to work in Firefox - Doesn't display properly. but has filter support
              >>
              >> Doesn't display at all in Opera - Whats up with Opera SVG support?
              >>
              >> Anyway, before I do bug reports I thought I'd ask wiser folks if this is indeed a bug. Should this be possible to do? Seems like it would be beneficial for multiple items in HTML.
              >>
              >> You can view the file at:
              >>
              >> http://jdsvg.com/use_test.html
              >>
              >> Your help is appreciated.
              >>
              >> James

            • jamesd
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

                > And btw, your site looks fine in Safari...not much different to how it looks in Chrome in fact.

                You did view the site with Chrome? You don't see a Big difference? Check out the stars for example.

                As for me being down on Apple, I'm just saying that not providing quality experiences is not helping to promote SVG. You know they could easily support filters.

                James
              • Guy Morton
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                  There's a difference. Hardly puts Safari in the same category as IE<9 though, does it?

                  On 02/04/2011, at 10:43 AM, jamesd wrote:

                  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> And btw, your site looks fine in Safari...not much different to how it looks in Chrome in fact.
                  >>

                  > You did view the site with Chrome? You don't see a Big difference? Check out the stars for example.
                  >
                  > As for me being down on Apple, I'm just saying that not providing quality experiences is not helping to promote SVG. You know they could easily support filters.
                  >
                  > James

                • Guy Morton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                    http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php

                    Firefox 4 scores slightly lower than Safari 5, overall. Opera has the best support yet you don't recommend it.

                    The reason Chrome has better support is that they release new versions every month whereas Safari is a slower release cycle. I'm sure Safari will get filters soon.

                    Guy