Wow factors for website

  • cremnosedum
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010

      This is a bit off topic but SVG is my speciality and I'd like to get more work involvin it so that should be taken into consideration. Besides this is probably relevant to anybody trying to use a website to get web design work.

      A business contact recently said my website made it look as if my web design skills were "old and weak". This man claims to have taken a web design course but I don't know if his opinion is worth a dam (and I think the way he put this raises serious doubts about his personal and business skills - he took over my region of an organisation I've been dealing with for some time, for most of which it's been run badly but that's another story).

      Yeah, I probably should have re-done my website a while back. For a start it doesn't really get me any business. Part of the issue is that I've been trying to attract attention with my web comic and that's got bogged down with a 3D graphics movie that I'd like to get finished soon.

      Another consideration is that I don't want to spend ages learning something that will be obsolete or out of fashion next week or never catch on to start with (like SVG and VRML, did X3D ever even get off the ground?). I've heard that not having RSS is a sign of a lame website but I've never figured out how to use it, every site I see says it's easy but nothing actually tells me how to do it!

      As a web designer I think I need a website (at least the home page) that does NOT look like a downloaded template.

      I probably also need a home page that warns people that they should view my site with something that can display SWF and SVG.

      I want something on my home page that will work on pretty well any browser (including IE as it's unfortunately still the commonest) but people will seldom, if ever have seen before.

      Should I design for old small screens or newer larger screens? Is it possible to do both?

      What features tend to wow people? Are there certain colours or patterns that are good or bad? Should I use (or avoid) certain things: XHTML, PHP, ASP, RSS, CSS, Javascript, Java, Facebook's like buttons etc? Is the rotating animated gif logo really pase? Is there something important that I'm completely missing? I don't know, what do people think?

      Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
      Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
      South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008