A pleasant surprise

  • ddailey
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
      I was pleased to find that this example [1], of simulated cylindrical
      rotation, from [2] is now working in these browsers:
      IE/ASV
      Opera (9.5 or newer)
      FF (4.0 b)
      Safari (5.02)
      and Chrome (6.0)

      At the time of its creation just 2.5 years (and 0.5 dimensions) ago it only
      worked in two of these five browsers.

      Using filters and SMIL animation, it is only 52 lines and <1800 keystrokes
      and at least 15 of the lines and 300 of those keystrokes are not really
      needed for basic perceptual functionality!. As all who have used <animate>
      or <replicate> can testify, productivity = 1/keystrokes.*

      cheers
      David

      [1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/barberPole.svg
      [2]
      http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/edges_of_plausibility.htm

      *okay, maybe I'm exaggerating: there might be the rare fraction of folks who
      would disagree, and such personality variation helps to keep the world
      interesting.
    • Andrew Matseevsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2010
        > rotation, from [2] is now working in these browsers:
        > IE/ASV
        > Opera (9.5 or newer)
        > FF (4.0 b)
        > Safari (5.02)
        > and Chrome (6.0)
        >
        > At the time of its creation just 2.5 years (and 0.5
        > dimensions) ago it only
        > worked in two of these five browsers.
        >
        > Using filters and SMIL animation, it is only 52 lines and
        > <1800 keystrokes
        > and at least 15 of the lines and 300 of those keystrokes
        > are not really
        > needed for basic perceptual functionality!. As all who have
        > used <animate>
        > or <replicate> can testify, productivity =
        > 1/keystrokes.*
        >
        > cheers
        > David
        >
        > [1] http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/barberPole.svg
        > [2]
        > http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGOpen2008/edges_of_plausibility.htm
        >
        > *okay, maybe I'm exaggerating: there might be the rare
        > fraction of folks who
        > would disagree, and such personality variation helps to
        > keep the world
        > interesting.

        Hi, David, you may try http://www.smartfills.com/Html/GradienFillsDemo.zip. I forgot to take this one to SVGOpen 2010. But, this one looks rather pretty (something like a screensaver). Set of vertices, what are randomly moving on the screen. Demonstration of a gradient, based on biharmonic equation.
        Regards, Andrew.