iPad without Flash is a great opportunity for SVG?

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 10:05 PM
      I'm probably I'm not first to see this :)

      Anyway, I've seen a few demos of web browsing with the iPad.
      The iPad screen size breaks the threshold of teensie web page browsing on a mobile.

      Also, because of the onboard zoom/pan, it navigates SVG nicely if it is in a .svg file. A few quick tests show that .svg is the best approach for Safari.

      The question is: Just how dynamic is Safari in handling SVG via javascript and the DOM interfaces? Can it provide enough onboard power to compete with Flash?

      If so, I think if a few sites can impress Apple with SVG's dynamic performance on the iPad, of that approaching Flash, then they would surely push SVG to the next level in Safari. Also, they would then have every incentive to build an SVG authoring tool to create dynamic SVG at rivaling/exceeding Flash.
      There are many dyanamic svg files in existence that would run nicely in Safari/iPad. I would also suggest a site www.iPadDynamicSVG.com (or similar name), where svgers could upload their flash-like demos.

      Apple is currently listing sites that are 'iPad Ready'. I'm sure the above site would be welcomed by Apple.
      See:
      http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/

      Regards,
      Francis
    • jeff_schiller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 5:44 AM
        I have a feeling that Apple is already interested in taking SVG to the next level:

        http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=50508

        Regards,
        Jeff

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher" <fhemsher@...> wrote:

        > I'm probably I'm not first to see this :)
        >
        > Anyway, I've seen a few demos of web browsing with the iPad.
        > The iPad screen size breaks the threshold of teensie web page browsing on a mobile.
        >
        > Also, because of the onboard zoom/pan, it navigates SVG nicely if it is in a .svg file. A few quick tests show that .svg is the best approach for Safari.
        >
        > The question is: Just how dynamic is Safari in handling SVG via javascript and the DOM interfaces? Can it provide enough onboard power to compete with Flash?
        >
        > If so, I think if a few sites can impress Apple with SVG's dynamic performance on the iPad, of that approaching Flash, then they would surely push SVG to the next level in Safari. Also, they would then have every incentive to build an SVG authoring tool to create dynamic SVG at rivaling/exceeding Flash.
        > There are many dyanamic svg files in existence that would run nicely in Safari/iPad. I would also suggest a site www.iPadDynamicSVG.com (or similar name), where svgers could upload their flash-like demos.
        >
        > Apple is currently listing sites that are 'iPad Ready'. I'm sure the above site would be welcomed by Apple.
        > See:
        > http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/
        >
        > Regards,
        > Francis

      • Francis Hemsher
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 7:03 AM
          Yes Jeff, I see Apple posted 2 positions available for SVG experts on 3/31/2010. I guess they, in fact, are moving to strengthen SVG's performance in Safari.

          I wouldn't be surprised if the other browser folks were also beefing up their SVG staffs.

          Gad, this is fun, to see the accelerating interest in SVG!

          Regards,
          Francis

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_schiller" <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

          > I have a feeling that Apple is already interested in taking SVG to the next level:
          >
          > http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=50508
          >
          > Regards,
          > Jeff
          >
          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher" <fhemsher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm probably I'm not first to see this :)
          > >
          > > Anyway, I've seen a few demos of web browsing with the iPad.
          > > The iPad screen size breaks the threshold of teensie web page browsing on a mobile.
          > >
          > > Also, because of the onboard zoom/pan, it navigates SVG nicely if it is in a .svg file. A few quick tests show that .svg is the best approach for Safari.
          > >
          > > The question is: Just how dynamic is Safari in handling SVG via javascript and the DOM interfaces? Can it provide enough onboard power to compete with Flash?
          > >
          > > If so, I think if a few sites can impress Apple with SVG's dynamic performance on the iPad, of that approaching Flash, then they would surely push SVG to the next level in Safari. Also, they would then have every incentive to build an SVG authoring tool to create dynamic SVG at rivaling/exceeding Flash.
          > > There are many dyanamic svg files in existence that would run nicely in Safari/iPad. I would also suggest a site www.iPadDynamicSVG.com (or similar name), where svgers could upload their flash-like demos.
          > >
          > > Apple is currently listing sites that are 'iPad Ready'. I'm sure the above site would be welcomed by Apple.
          > > See:
          > > http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad/
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Francis

        • Mark T
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 6:15 PM
            So has Antoine been instrumental in the production of the iPad?
            http://fr.linkedin.com/in/antoinequint
            <http://fr.linkedin.com/in/antoinequint>Would such an (above) appointee be
            working with Antoine.
            I'm more Ruby than C.(++), otherwise...