Re: SVG Presentation

  • Francis Hemsher
    Message 1 of 57 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Mark,
      The TOE* svg diagram in another good example of just how very well suited SVG is, when used to demonstrate mathamatical theories and show algorithms in action.
      Regards,
      Francis

      *The theory of everything (TOE) is a putative theory of theoretical physics that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena, and, ideally, has predictive power for the outcome of any experiment that could be carried out in principle. Initially, the term was used with an ironic connotation to refer to various overgeneralized theories. For example, a great-grandfather of Ijon Tichy—a character from a cycle of Stanis³aw Lem's science fiction stories of 1960s—was known to work on the "General Theory of Everything". Physicist John Ellis[1] claims to have introduced the term into the technical literature in an article in Nature in 1986.[2] Over time, the term stuck in popularizations of quantum physics to describe a theory that would unify or explain through a single model the theories of all fundamental interactions of nature.

      There have been many theories of everything proposed by theoretical physicists over the last century, but none has been confirmed experimentally. The primary problem in producing a TOE is that the accepted theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity are hard to combine. It could be argued, however, that even those theories taken individually might be incomplete or not fully understood. (For more, see unsolved problems in physics).

      Based on theoretical holographic principle arguments from the 1990s, many physicists believe that 11-dimensional M-theory, which is described in many sectors by matrix string theory, in many other sectors by perturbative string theory is the complete theory of everything, although there is no widespread consensus and M-theory is not a completed theory but rather an approach for producing one.
      see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Mark T <paradisaeidae@...> wrote:

      > Hi Doug,
      > How about a format which (could) describe the nature of (everything)
      > graphically:
      > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E8_graph.svg
      >
      > <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E8_graph.svg>Though, I have not been
      > able to render the svg without the 'edge' cases.

      Renders OK for me with IE/ASV.

      > Possibly these will be resolved by the LHC?
      >
      > MarkT

    • heldermagalhaes
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi everyone,

        (Francis)
        > > Sorry, I didn't know you were running Vista. About 8 months
        > > ago, I noted the Vista Compatibility Center listed the Adobe SVG
        > > Viewer as non-compatable. I sent in a correction. However, I see now
        > > my input was not accepted.
        (Doug)
        > In my experience, that "incompatible" status is definitely accurate.

        Not in my experience. ;-)

        As a Windows user, mostly by professional reasons, I've also been supporting SVG in IE for obvious reasons: most enterprise customers/users can't really see beyond Windows and Internet Explorer, so I guess we'll just have to live with that for a while. :-)

        I've been using ASV3 with success in IE ranging from version 6 to version 8, the latter in Windows Vista SP2 (my current OS at work). I was previously using ASV6 (beta) but it turned out to crash too often when put under stress. :-(

        The tricks here seems to be:
        1. Run the ASV3/6 installer with administrative privileges (right click, "Run as Administrator") when trying to install in a UAC-enabled Windows version (Vista and above). This seems to solve all installation issues. :-)
        2. Tweak the registry in order to pre-approve the ActiveX control and therefore avoid the "This webpage wants to run SVG blahblahblah".
        3. I'm also studying few possibilities for further registry tweaks which enable uses of ASV which were not predicted/available when the software was released (inline SVG in HTML [1], for example).

        (Francis)
        > > Therefore, since you cannot at present get past the compatibility
        > > thingie, you should not be expected to use IE/ASV at MIX10, since
        > > Vista will not currently accept it.
        (Doug)
        > I don't think the situation is going to improve for ASV. I couldn't
        > even find it listed on the Windows 7 compatibility page [1], probably
        > because it has been EoLed.
        >
        > Even if it did work on Vista, I wouldn't recommend it, given the
        > installation requirement, and the fact that it's a dead product.

        Yup, I fully agree with Doug here. The ASV approach is only a temporary solution, I hope, at least until other implementations catch up (ASV was pretty good [2] at its time). Then, if Internet Explorer is still as behind as nowadays, one can put more pressure for users to switch browser and/or to install plug-ins such as Chrome Frame [3] (WebKit-based) or Ssrc SVG [4] (Gecko-based), not to mention all the other cool SVG plug-ins around. :-)

        Please reply back if the instructions to enable ASV on Vista (and above) aren't working, so I push this sort of stuff (publishing this sort of tricks) up within my (ever growing) TODO stack! ;-)

        Cheers,
        Helder

        [1] http://heldermagalhaes.com/blog/2009/08/emacs-triggers-svg-bugs/
        [2] http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php