Re: [svg-developers] SVG Presentation

  • Mark T
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 28, 2010
      Hi Doug,
      How about a format which (could) describe the nature of (everything)
      graphically:
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E8_graph.svg

      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E8_graph.svg>Though, I have not been
      able to render the svg without the 'edge' cases.
      Possibly these will be resolved by the LHC?

      MarkT

      --
      (+61 4) 0679 5734
      チェックアウトが、Jingle だ!

    • heldermagalhaes
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi everyone,

        (Francis)
        > > Sorry, I didn't know you were running Vista. About 8 months
        > > ago, I noted the Vista Compatibility Center listed the Adobe SVG
        > > Viewer as non-compatable. I sent in a correction. However, I see now
        > > my input was not accepted.
        (Doug)
        > In my experience, that "incompatible" status is definitely accurate.

        Not in my experience. ;-)

        As a Windows user, mostly by professional reasons, I've also been supporting SVG in IE for obvious reasons: most enterprise customers/users can't really see beyond Windows and Internet Explorer, so I guess we'll just have to live with that for a while. :-)

        I've been using ASV3 with success in IE ranging from version 6 to version 8, the latter in Windows Vista SP2 (my current OS at work). I was previously using ASV6 (beta) but it turned out to crash too often when put under stress. :-(

        The tricks here seems to be:
        1. Run the ASV3/6 installer with administrative privileges (right click, "Run as Administrator") when trying to install in a UAC-enabled Windows version (Vista and above). This seems to solve all installation issues. :-)
        2. Tweak the registry in order to pre-approve the ActiveX control and therefore avoid the "This webpage wants to run SVG blahblahblah".
        3. I'm also studying few possibilities for further registry tweaks which enable uses of ASV which were not predicted/available when the software was released (inline SVG in HTML [1], for example).

        (Francis)
        > > Therefore, since you cannot at present get past the compatibility
        > > thingie, you should not be expected to use IE/ASV at MIX10, since
        > > Vista will not currently accept it.
        (Doug)
        > I don't think the situation is going to improve for ASV. I couldn't
        > even find it listed on the Windows 7 compatibility page [1], probably
        > because it has been EoLed.
        >
        > Even if it did work on Vista, I wouldn't recommend it, given the
        > installation requirement, and the fact that it's a dead product.

        Yup, I fully agree with Doug here. The ASV approach is only a temporary solution, I hope, at least until other implementations catch up (ASV was pretty good [2] at its time). Then, if Internet Explorer is still as behind as nowadays, one can put more pressure for users to switch browser and/or to install plug-ins such as Chrome Frame [3] (WebKit-based) or Ssrc SVG [4] (Gecko-based), not to mention all the other cool SVG plug-ins around. :-)

        Please reply back if the instructions to enable ASV on Vista (and above) aren't working, so I push this sort of stuff (publishing this sort of tricks) up within my (ever growing) TODO stack! ;-)

        Cheers,
        Helder

        [1] http://heldermagalhaes.com/blog/2009/08/emacs-triggers-svg-bugs/
        [2] http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php