Help with "foreignObject" please

  • peterbyers1@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
      I am playing with and learning to use "foreignObject" in SVG.
      It is wonderful, brilliant - I love it !!

      It sad that it is not (and never will be) in AVG in IE - but neve mind Eh !!

      Sadly, I have hit something that is either driving me bonkers - or - proving that I am a blind fool !!

      Please use Firefox (I am using 3.0.7)

      If you look at:
      http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/div.htm

      It looks as if it works OK
      (I am puzzled why there is a 'big Gap' between the second and third Text Lines - but that is trivial and no-matter !!)

      Now look at:
      http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/htmlTextwrapINsvg02.svg
      Takes no notice of the "P" and of the "BR" tags !!

      Please tell me what I have done wrong.

      Pete (Northolt UK)
    • Bryan Berry
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
        On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM, peterbyers1@... <
        nospam@...> wrote:

        > I am playing with and learning to use "foreignObject" in SVG.
        > It is wonderful, brilliant - I love it !!
        >
        > It sad that it is not (and never will be) in AVG in IE - but neve mind Eh
        > !!
        >
        > Sadly, I have hit something that is either driving me bonkers - or -
        > proving that I am a blind fool !!
        >
        > Please use Firefox (I am using 3.0.7)
        >
        > If you look at:
        > http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/div.htm
        >
        > It looks as if it works OK
        > (I am puzzled why there is a 'big Gap' between the second and third Text
        > Lines - but that is trivial and no-matter !!)
        >
        > I see no such gap but I am using chromium and firefox 3.5 ;)

      • jeff_schiller
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "peterbyers1@..." <nospam@...> wrote:
          > Now look at:
          > http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/htmlTextwrapINsvg02.svg
          > Takes no notice of the "P" and of the "BR" tags !!
          >

          > Please tell me what I have done wrong.
          >
          > Pete (Northolt UK)

          You've used capital tags (<P> instead of <p>). Once you're inside a <foreignObject> you are embedding XHTML (which is XML), not HTML and case matters.

          Change your tags to lower-case.

          Regards,
          Jeff
        • peterbyers1@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
            Thanks Jeff - I learn something new every day - will study XHTML spec carefully as soon as I can.

            Looks like the <br> tag is not recognised in XHTML either.

            Pete (Northollt UK)

            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "jeff_schiller" <jeff_schiller@...> wrote:

            > You've used capital tags (<P> instead of <p>). Once you're inside a <foreignObject> you are embedding XHTML (which is XML), not HTML and case matters.
            >
            > Change your tags to lower-case.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Jeff

          • Cameron Laird
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
              On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 03:50:00PM -0000, peterbyers1@... wrote:
              .
              .
              .
              > Looks like the <br> tag is not recognised in XHTML either.
              .
              .
              .
              !? No, <br /> is definitely part of XHTML, for all values of "XHTML" <URL:
              http://learningforlife.fsu.edu/webmaster/references/xhtml/tags/text/br.cfm >.
            • Bryan Berry
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
                u have to close all your tags in xhtml

                so <br /> is the proper syntax

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
                  Thanks Cameron - got it now - finger trouble.
                  Looked at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

                  That, followed by your comment woke me up

                  Pete (Northolt UK)