IE OK - Firefox not OK

  • peterbyers1@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
      Hi

      The following SVG was written for, and works with Adobe SVG AddOn in Internet Explorer

      http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/helpplease2.svg

      I have Googled and made the suggested changes to stop the Error Messages in Firefox.

      Now the "Ear" button can be seen - but clicking on it has no effect - in Firefox.

      It works as expected in Internet Explorer.

      Is SVG in Firefox a completely different product to the Adobe SVG ??

      I think I might give up writing SVG scripts and take up something simple like "Wrestling Grizly Bears" !!!

      Advice please
      Pete (Northolt UK)

      PS - I have dozens of SVG pages that will not work with Firefox !!
    • longsonr
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
        The Error Console tells you what's wrong :-)

        a:audio is an Adobe specific thing as xmlns:a="http://www.adobe.com/svg10-extensions" indicates and you can only use getElementById on tags that Firefox understands.

        Also, you can't set xlink:href using setAttribute you must use setAttributeNS instead see http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/#namespace-aware-methods for details on this and other compatibility issues.

        Best regards

        Robert
      • jeff_schiller
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
          Peter,

          I really do sympathize. Anyone who coded to ASV's implementation of SVG, didn't touch the code for 5 years then came back to try it out on modern browsers is going to have a rough time and this is VERY unfortunate.

          To give you perspective though: Adobe was an earlier adopter (and driver) of the SVG specification. They put out an excellent SVG plugin, but there were several things that only surfaced as problems once other implementations (Opera, Firefox, Safari) came onto the scene and were more compliant with the specifications.

          In addition to the SVG support in ASV, Adobe also added support for several non-standard things (like audio, networking) that have since been adapted into HTML5 and other standards in different (incompatible) ways. For instance:

          * HTML5 <audio> tag now is the likely way of doing standard audio in web pages going forward (though as rlongson mentions, I hope the SVGT 1.2 <audio> tag will also surface soon)
          * XMLHttpRequest is the current realistic way to do client-server communication until Web Sockets arrives cross-browser

          And one final point: the scripting engine in the ASV is rather out-dated by today's browser standards (iirc it was an old Mozilla JavaScript engine).

          jwatt's document is an excellent starting point for adapting code written specifically for ASV into code that will work in modern browsers.

          On the bright side, if you are writing new code for today's modern browsers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), it's actually not so painful an experience as it was 3-4 years ago. The browsers have come along way and we will continue to see improvement. Soon, Firefox will have SMIL and Safari/Chrome will have SVG Filters.

          Regards,
          Jeff Schiller

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "peterbyers1@..." <nospam@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > The following SVG was written for, and works with Adobe SVG AddOn in Internet Explorer
          >
          > http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/demo/helpplease2.svg
          >

          > I have Googled and made the suggested changes to stop the Error Messages in Firefox.
          >

          > Now the "Ear" button can be seen - but clicking on it has no effect - in Firefox.
          >

          > It works as expected in Internet Explorer.
          >

          > Is SVG in Firefox a completely different product to the Adobe SVG ??
          >

          > I think I might give up writing SVG scripts and take up something simple like "Wrestling Grizly Bears" !!!
          >

          > Advice please
          > Pete (Northolt UK)
          >
          > PS - I have dozens of SVG pages that will not work with Firefox !!

        • ddailey
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2009
            And just to add another point to Jeff's thorough treatment. If you follow the guidelines in http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/#namespace-aware-methods the code will work not only in Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, but it will still work in IE! I ran into exactly the same trouble when Opera first started supporting SVG (before the others did) and was rather annoyed with the extra hoopla required of the standards (which I had been ignoring largely because standards usually tend to read like DEC VMS help files (which are worse than Honeywell GCOS expl files!))

            BTW, for testing SMIL and filters and the like you'll want to use Opera since their implementation is still ahead of the others and the code that works there will generally work just fine in IE/asv. Until Microsoft announces its own SVG support (and I am betting they will relatively soon since they would like IE to survive) realize that there are alternatives to ASV that are being actively developed.

            cheers

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 10, 2009
              Gentlemen

              Thank you all for your comments.

              I am just starting a major project that depends on Serious High Quality Graphics and Animation - I believe that SVG is the only reasonable way to go !!

              As a happily retired Old Fart just doing things that interest me, I wonder if I have the time and energy to 're-learn' and understand the new stuff - I certainly have the inclination - hehehehe !!

              All of my web stuff (HTML, JavaScript, CSS, etc) has been developed and tested to work with IE - recently I have been spending time adapting some of it to work with Firefox.
              Looks like I should maybe be working with Opera in the expectation that it will then work with IE and Firefox.

              Trust me to back the wrong horse - hehehehe

              Be lucky
              Take care

              Pet (Northolt UK)

              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddailey@...> wrote:

              > And just to add another point to Jeff's thorough treatment. If you follow the guidelines in http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/#namespace-aware-methods the code will work not only in Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, but it will still work in IE! I ran into exactly the same trouble when Opera first started supporting SVG (before the others did) and was rather annoyed with the extra hoopla required of the standards (which I had been ignoring largely because standards usually tend to read like DEC VMS help files (which are worse than Honeywell GCOS expl files!))
              >
              > BTW, for testing SMIL and filters and the like you'll want to use Opera since their implementation is still ahead of the others and the code that works there will generally work just fine in IE/asv. Until Microsoft announces its own SVG support (and I am betting they will relatively soon since they would like IE to survive) realize that there are alternatives to ASV that are being actively developed.
              >
              > cheers
              > David

            • Guy Morton
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2009
                From my web site's access logs, IE is only 30% of the browser market
                now. Firefox (and other modern browsers) are 70%. I tend to believe my
                stats more than I believe all the commercial stat collectors out there
                as they could be tampering with the data to pander to vested interests
                but I know my data is unedited.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2009
                  Hi

                  I wanted to try the "foreignObject" mentioned in the first answer.

                  Needless to say, I failed !

                  So, I googled it and found a couple of examples:-
                  http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/foreignobject-text.svg
                  and
                  http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/foreignobject-transform.svg

                  Tried them in Opera, IE, Firefox and Chrome

                  They worked and didnt work differently in each of the browsers

                  Niether worked in IE8 with Adobe

                  Niether worked in the latest version of Opera
                  (no word-wrap, scroll bars did not work, right click zoom did work)

                  Better in Firefox
                  (word-wrap OK, scroll bars OK, no right click zoom)

                  Opera
                  (word-wrap OK, scroll buttons were not shown no right click zoom)

                  I think that Im just going to plump for Developing SVG for IE with Adobe.

                  I guess the world has got things to learn about Standardisation of SVG.

                  (The browsers are slowly limping toward all browsers rendering HTML and CSS in the same way !!)

                  Just thought I should let you know where I got to !!

                  Thanks guys

                  Pete (Northolt UK)
                • guy@alchemy.com.au
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 10, 2009
                    I'd actually recommend you code to work in Firefox and Safari first
                    and ASV second...but that's just me, perhaps.

                    Quoting "peterbyers1@..." <nospam@...>:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > I wanted to try the "foreignObject" mentioned in the first answer.
                    >
                    > Needless to say, I failed !
                    >
                    > So, I googled it and found a couple of examples:-
                    > http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/foreignobject-text.svg
                    > and
                    > http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/foreignobject-transform.svg
                    >

                    > Tried them in Opera, IE, Firefox and Chrome
                    >

                    > They worked and didnt work differently in each of the browsers
                    >

                    > Niether worked in IE8 with Adobe
                    >
                    > Niether worked in the latest version of Opera
                    > (no word-wrap, scroll bars did not work, right click zoom did work)
                    >
                    > Better in Firefox
                    > (word-wrap OK, scroll bars OK, no right click zoom)
                    >
                    > Opera
                    > (word-wrap OK, scroll buttons were not shown no right click zoom)
                    >

                    > I think that Im just going to plump for Developing SVG for IE with Adobe.
                    >

                    > I guess the world has got things to learn about Standardisation of SVG.
                    >
                    > (The browsers are slowly limping toward all browsers rendering HTML
                    > and CSS in the same way !!)
                    >

                    > Just thought I should let you know where I got to !!
                    >
                    > Thanks guys
                    >
                    > Pete (Northolt UK)

                  • G. Wade Johnson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 11, 2009
                      On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:06:05 +1100
                      guy@... wrote:

                      > I'd actually recommend you code to work in Firefox and Safari first
                      > and ASV second...but that's just me, perhaps.

                      I would second that. I have a few things I wrote back in the ASV days
                      as well that required some work to convert. But, almost everything I
                      have written for modern browsers continued to work on ASV.

                      G. Wade

                      --
                      You should never hand someone a gun unless you're sure where they'll
                      point it. -- Jeffrey Sinclair in "By Any Means
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 11, 2009

                        I'm now using Opera as my primary design environment. This is partly because I use both SMIL and filters and this is the only browser that supports both (except ASV). Mind you, I've yet to try using foreinObject.

                        Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
                        The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
                        Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
                        South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008

                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, guy@... wrote:

                        > I'd actually recommend you code to work in Firefox and Safari first
                        > and ASV second...but that's just me, perhaps.
                      • Mark T
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 12, 2009
                          Firefox 3.6 is just around the corner.
                          Heck, I've just done svg.smil.enabled:true in a recent beta.
                          This will roll into Fennec, which is built towards the Nokia N900.
                          Delightful.

                          MarkT

                          --
                          チェックアウトが、Jingle だ!
                          It's a Jingle Out There!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 12, 2009
                            When I made the original posting I did not know what to expect - I certainly did not expect the number of replies that came bouncing back.

                            I have read them all carefully and followed the paths from each reply.

                            I am much more knowledgeable as a result of them.

                            It does not look like all browsers will render SVG in the same way anytime soon.

                            It will be interesting to see what MS does if it really does embed SVG in IE.

                            Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.

                            Pete (Northolt UK)
                          • Guy Morton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 13, 2009
                              Don't hold your breath - they want developers to use their proprietary
                              Silverlight instead...but that's a really bad alternative and only
                              about MS trying to monopolise the market, once again.

                              On 13/12/2009, at 6:52 PM, peterbyers1@... wrote:

                              > When I made the original posting I did not know what to expect - I
                              > certainly did not expect the number of replies that came bouncing
                              > back.
                              >
                              > I have read them all carefully and followed the paths from each reply.
                              >
                              > I am much more knowledgeable as a result of them.
                              >

                              > It does not look like all browsers will render SVG in the same way
                              > anytime soon.
                              >
                              > It will be interesting to see what MS does if it really does embed
                              > SVG in IE.
                              >

                              > Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.
                              >
                              > Pete (Northolt UK)

                            • G. Wade Johnson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 13, 2009
                                On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:15:07 +1100
                                Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

                                > Don't hold your breath - they want developers to use their
                                > proprietary Silverlight instead...but that's a really bad alternative
                                > and only about MS trying to monopolise the market, once again.

                                While that may be true, all hope for SVG is not lost for IE users.
                                Microsoft was represented at the SVG Open this year, so they are
                                looking at the technology again. We also have alternatives to ASV
                                that are coming along. The two newest being the SVGWeb library and
                                the Chrome Frame plugin.

                                We've seen more recent promise for SVG on IE in many years.

                                G. Wade

                                > On 13/12/2009, at 6:52 PM, peterbyers1@... wrote:
                                >

                                > > When I made the original posting I did not know what to expect - I
                                > > certainly did not expect the number of replies that came bouncing
                                > > back.
                                > >
                                > > I have read them all carefully and followed the paths from each
                                > > reply.
                                > >
                                > > I am much more knowledgeable as a result of them.
                                > >

                                > > It does not look like all browsers will render SVG in the same way
                                > > anytime soon.
                                > >
                                > > It will be interesting to see what MS does if it really does embed
                                > > SVG in IE.
                                > >

                                > > Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.
                                > >
                                > > Pete (Northolt UK)

                                Results are what you wanted, consequences are what you got.
                                -- Michael VanDusen