Re: Carto:net --> Map Navigation --panning using mouse wheel events in Mode=info

  • profileofpradeep
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2009
      Dear Dr. Olaf Schnabel,

      I need your suggestion again. If I have to put some code for panning using mouse wheel events how can I do it?
      Please suggest me if I could support the above in mode=info?

      since reference map panning is possible in mode=info. Can a mouse wheel events be directed to that rectangle and thus cause panning. But I am not sure how to go about doing it.

      OR

      would it be feasible to use .adjustViewBox() tied up with mouse wheel to cause panning effect even in mode=info?

      As always your advise will be very helpful. Please do the needful and oblige.

      Thanking you,

      Yours Sincerely,
      --Pradeep

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Olaf Schnabel <oschnabel@...> wrote:

      > Hi profileofpradeep
      >
      > that's quite difficult. Only the layer on the top can catch mouse
      > events. There is only one exception: if you add
      > pointer-events="none" to a layer, the layer beneath can catch the mouse
      > events.
      >
      > Why is this important for your question?
      > If you switch your navigation mode to pan, a rectangle called
      > "bgPanManual" will be inserted on top of your map. If you switch your
      > navigation mode to zoom, a rectangle called "zoomBgRectManual" will be
      > inserted on top of your map.
      > This rectangles catch your mouse events (pointer-events="fill") and use
      > the events to calculate the new map extent.
      >
      > You could change the attribute in the file "navigation.js" in the
      > function "map.prototype.panManual" (pointer-events="none"). But then you
      > loose your pan or zoom functionality.
      >
      > Best regards
      > Olaf
      >
      > profileofpradeep wrote:
      > > Dear Sir,
      > >
      > > First of all I would like to thank you for putting so much efforts and making the tools available free of cost. The site is excellent! Thanks for pointing me to the yahoo group, I will start posting my question there.
      > >
      > > I am sorry for not taking care to explain my problem clearly. I have tried it again hope you could point me in right direction.
      > >
      > > Application: In Map Navigation Tools buttons are programmed to be mutually exclusive
      > >
      > > Ie. When in Mode = manual panning button ON (mouse-down and dragging in the main map)
      > > Mode = Info is OFF and vice versa.
      > >
      > > I want to change this behavior to -->
      > >
      > > When in Mode = manual panning ON. The Mode= info should also be ON. So that I can still get information about the map while in manual panning.
      > >

      > > Reason: I have created some hotspots in svg over the image. only in info mode the hotspots respond to mouse over event and displays any information. In manual panning mode as it is now the it does not respond to any mouse event.
      > >
      > > How to enable info mode = ON so that while panning I can still get the information when mouse over the hotspot, without having to juggle between info button and panning button.
      > >

      > > Your help will be highly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanking You,
      > >

      > --
      > Dr. Olaf Schnabel
      > Institute of Cartography
      > ETH Zurich
      > Wolfgang-Pauli-Str. 15
      > 8093 Zurich
      > Switzerland
      >
      > tel: ++41 44 633 3031
      > fax: ++41 44 633 1153
      > e-mail: oschnabel@...
      > www private: http://www.ika.ethz.ch/schnabel
      > www project: http://www.e-cartouche.ch
      > www institute: http://www.karto.ethz.ch

    • Andi Neumann
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi Pradeep,

        I have a version of the carto.net navigation tools that support panning through keyboard and zooming with the mouse wheel.

        Are you sure you want to do panning with the mousewheel? In my opinion, the more natural way is to do zooming with the mousewheel instead of panning. One could think about using modifier keys for panning though, as Inkscape does.

        Per default the wheel event would trigger zoom in and out, if used with the shift key it would pan horizontally, if used with the alt or ctrl key it would pan vertically (would have to be tested about interference with other browser behavior).

        Andreas

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
          Dear Andreas,

          Thank you very much for your reply.

          Panning and Zoom with mousewheel events would be a user friendly function. Your description about the implementation will work for me.

          Can you please send me the link to download the version of carto.net navigation tool(version with keyboard and zooming with mousewheel).

          Again thank you very much.

          Eagerly waiting for your mail.

          Thanking You,
          --Pradeep

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
            Dear Sir,

            Can you please provide me the version of the carto.net navigation tools that supports panning through keyboard and zooming with the mouse wheel.

            I would appreciate it a lot for the help.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2009
              Dear Carto.net group,

              I want to change between Mode=info,manual pan mode on using a keyboard event.

              For example: while in info mode by key press event (eg Alt key) it should shift to manual pan and release of Alt Key should return to info mode. Similarly in pan mode press of Alt key should turn into info mode and release of Alt should return back to the earlier mode.

              How to get this working. your guidance is highly appreciated.

              Thanking You a lot.
              --P

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 15, 2009
                Dear Carto.net group,

                This is what I tried but was unsuccessful to get the expected response.

                //Added 2 listeners for key events in map() function

                this.backgroundRect.addEventListener("keydown",this,false);
                this.backgroundRect.addEventListener("keyup",this,false);

                // Then Added in map.prototype.panManualFinally function

                if (evt.type =="keydown"){
                if (evt.charCode) {
                var charCode = evt.charCode;
                }
                else {
                var charCode = evt.keyCode;
                }

                if (charCode == 17 ) {
                //alert("hello keydown");
                this.backgroundRect.setAttributeNS(null,"pointer-events","none");
                evt.preventDefault();

                if (evt.type =="keyup"){

                if (evt.charCode) {
                var charCode = evt.charCode;
                }
                else {
                var charCode = evt.keyCode;
                }
                //enter key
                if (charCode == 17) {
                //alert("hello keyup");
                this.backgroundRect.setAttributeNS(null,"pointer-events","fill");
                evt.preventDefault();

                Problem:

                on keydown pointer-events" is set to "none" but keyup event does not reset it back to "fill" so I am loosing the panning permanently. How to get this functionality working?

                Please help me.

                Thanking you,
                --Pradeep