SVGopen 2009

  • Ruth Lang
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
      Hello,

      the SVGopen 2009 is over now and unfortunately I couldn't attend it, but
      nevertheless I am interested:
      I am missing some information on the web site like a sort of a résumé,
      highlights of the conference, statements, future developments...

      It is like this conference had never happened, and thus not really a good
      promotion for SVG ?

      Best regards
      Ruth

      uismedia Lang & Müller
      Max-Lehner-Straße 18
      85354 Freising
      Germany
      Fon: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 70
      Fax: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 74
      e-Mail: R.Lang@...
      http://www.uismedia.de
      http://www.mappetizer.de
    • jeff_schiller
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
        Hello Ruth,

        We will definitely be posting information from the conference (links to videos of the keynotes, presentations, etc), hopefully this can start happening this week.

        Regards,
        Jeff Schiller

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth Lang" <R.Lang@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > the SVGopen 2009 is over now and unfortunately I couldn't attend it, but
        > nevertheless I am interested:
        > I am missing some information on the web site like a sort of a résumé,
        > highlights of the conference, statements, future developments...
        >
        > It is like this conference had never happened, and thus not really a good
        > promotion for SVG ?
        >
        > Best regards
        > Ruth
        >
        > uismedia Lang & Müller
        > Max-Lehner-Straße 18
        > 85354 Freising
        > Germany
        > Fon: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 70
        > Fax: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 74
        > e-Mail: R.Lang@...
        > http://www.uismedia.de
        > http://www.mappetizer.de

      • Andi Neumann
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
          Hi Ruth,

          You are right - a summary of the conference would be a good addition (or even necessary/expected).

          Here are some facts: we had 125 participants from the following countries:

          Australia: 5
          Austria: 1
          Canada: 8
          Finland: 2
          France: 5
          Germany: 10
          Italy: 2
          Japan: 3
          Luxembourg: 3
          Netherlands: 6
          Norway: 2
          Sweden: 4
          Switzerland: 2
          UK: 5
          USA: 67

          We had almost all browser developers present: Opera, Firefox, Google Chrome,

          Furthermore we had representatives from the following projects:
          * dojo.gfx
          * Raphael
          * AmpleSDK
          * SVGWeb Project
          * Wikipedia
          * OpenStreetmap
          * Inkscape
          * JSXGraph

          Many well-known companies presented or attended, such as Oracle, 4D, Vodafone, IBM, Microsoft, Samsung, Ericsson, Siemens, RIM, Qualcomm, Cisco, Canon, Eurostat, some universities, etc.

          One major topic at the conference was the missing SVG support in IE and possible workarounds: Ajax libraries, the SVGWeb Project, Google Frame, etc. Microsoft employees were present at the conference but obviously couldn't make any statements about unreleased products. They stated, however, that they are "here for a reason" and acknowledged market demand for SVG. They also said they are here for "listening and learning".

          As usual we had panel sessions with implementors and the SVG working group. The WG presented it's current work and progress and people from the audience made productive comments regarding potential improvements and extensions. Doug Schepers presented the SVG Parameters spec, Chris Lilley presented the Vector Effects specification.

          In one of the keynotes, Google employee Brad Neuberg highlighted where Google is using SVG (Google maps, Google Docs, Visualization Toolkits, etc.) and why it likes SVG. Google supports SVG through the JS/Flash-based shim (SVGWeb) and through the IE plugin Google Chrome Frame. The other keynote from Sam Ruby (IBM, HTML WG co-chair) highlighted some of the problem areas that SVG will likely face when it is getting more popular along with other HTML5 technologies.

          We also had a nice dinner event at the Computer History Museum where we had a demo of the mechanical computer "Babbage Engine", a computer designed 150 years ago, and only recently built at the beginning of the 1990ies according the engineer drawings made 150 years ago!

          Finally: here you can find some links to press related to the conference and Google's efforts regarding SVG in IE:

          https://www.svgopen.org/2009/news.shtml

          You will also find that there was an increasing activity on Twitter related to SVG and SVG Open during the conference.

          Videos from the keynotes exist at Youtube:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0HmNkHKq8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7ILwrFwQY

          SVG Open 2010: host not yet decide - will be announced soon.

          Hope this information helps for those who could not attend. We hope that you can attend next year's conference! If you have more specific questions, please ask.

          Andreas

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth Lang" <R.Lang@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > the SVGopen 2009 is over now and unfortunately I couldn't attend it, but
          > nevertheless I am interested:
          > I am missing some information on the web site like a sort of a résumé,
          > highlights of the conference, statements, future developments...
          >
          > It is like this conference had never happened, and thus not really a good
          > promotion for SVG ?
          >
          > Best regards
          > Ruth
          >
          > uismedia Lang & Müller
          > Max-Lehner-Straße 18
          > 85354 Freising
          > Germany
          > Fon: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 70
          > Fax: ++49 (0)8161/23 28 74
          > e-Mail: R.Lang@...
          > http://www.uismedia.de
          > http://www.mappetizer.de

        • heldermagalhaes
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
            Hi Ruth,

            > the SVGopen 2009 is over now and unfortunately I couldn't attend
            > it, but nevertheless I am interested:
            > I am missing some information on the web site like a sort of a
            > résumé, highlights of the conference, statements, future
            > developments...

            I'm also in this situation and was thinking about it this morning: something about how was the conference, maybe with a set of photos, would be valuable to all of use who didn't have the chance to see things in a first person perspective.

            Although I'm confident that this will, sooner or later, show up in individual blogs, having some kind of information in the official site would be desirable. :-)

            > It is like this conference had never happened, and thus not really
            > a good promotion for SVG ?

            Yes, I've seen this a few times in several different conferences: lots of buzz before the conference starts and then... Nothing. Having a short noticed about what happened, or even just "the conference has finished, thanks to all who have participated and/or attended" was nicer; having a full story, with multimedia material, was a lot better. ;-)

            Regards,
            Helder
          • Felipe Sanches
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
              > One major topic at the conference was the missing SVG support in IE [...] Microsoft employees were present at the conference but obviously couldn't make any statements about unreleased products. They stated, however, that they are "here for a reason" and acknowledged market demand for SVG. They also said they are here for "listening and learning".

              Earlier this year there was a series of events in the Brazilian w3c
              office. In each of these events one major browser vendor was invited
              to talk about open standards in their browsers.

              The last event in this series was with Microsoft. I have asked about
              SVG support and the Microsoft employees said exactly this (in
              brazilian portuguese - an english translation follows):

              "Pergunta - Felipe Sanches - Inkscape.org:
              'A minha pergunta parcialmente já foi respondida [pela resposta à
              pergunta anterior] por que é no mesmo tema. Eu iria perguntar sobre o
              html5 nesse aspecto, em particular [sobre] a tag vídeo... essas coisas
              que estamos vendo "early adopters" nos concorrentes, mas eu ia
              enfatizar uma outra tecnologia que a maioria dos "major browser
              vendors" já adotam, e eu não posso chamar de "early adopters" por que
              é uma tecnologia que está há 10 anos já consolidada, o SVG, e eu
              queria saber quando a gente vai ter... qual é a perspectiva de adoção
              do SVG - gráficos vetoriais em padrão aberto para a web - no
              [Internet] Explorer que, entre os "major browsers" é o [único] que não
              é "early adopter" '

              Resposta - Murilo Curti - Engenheiro de Software - Microsoft Brasil:
              'É... realmente, a sua questão é totalmente pertinente. O SVG não está
              suportado no Internet Explorer 8 - não totalmente - mas a gente já
              está implementando. Então já tem todo um trabalho que está sendo feito
              pra que o mais rápido possível a gente possa ter esse suporte. É...
              não tem data, não tem prazo, mas o pessoal já está trabalhando e já
              tem todas especificações de uma série de recursos relacionados
              prontos. Eu, pessoalmente vi isso, então posso garantir que o pessoal
              já tá trabalhando legal pra garantir esse suporte, ok?'

              Comentário adicional - Pedro Bojikian - Assistente de marketing -
              Microsoft Brasil:
              '[eu queria] só comentar que a gente vai disponibilizar e está sendo
              traduzido pelo time de engenharia lá nos Estados Unidos esse debate
              então esse tipo de comentário só ajuda a gente a reforçar a
              necessidade de atualizações mais rápidas.
              Então obrigado pela contribuição.'"

              translation to english:

              "Question - Felipe Sanches - Inkscape.org:
              'My question has already been partially answered [by the answer to the
              previous question] since it is about the same subject. I was gonna ask
              about html5 in this aspect, in particular [about] the video tag... and
              such "early adopter" things that we are seeing in the competitor
              browsers, but I would emphasize another technology which is already
              adopted by most of the other major browser vendors, and I can't call
              them "early adopters" since this technology - SVG - is already
              established for a decade. And I'd like to know when we'll have... what
              is the perspective of adoption of SVG - open standard vector graphics
              for the web - in [Internet] Explorer which, among the "major browsers"
              is the [only] one that is not an "early adopter" '

              Answer - Murilo Curti - Software Engineer - Microsoft Brazil:
              'Yeah... in fact, your question is totally pertinent. The SVG is not
              supported by Internet Explorer 8 - not totally - but we're already
              implementing it. So there is already a whole work been done so that we
              can have support for it as quickly as possible. Well... we don't have
              a date, we don't have a deadline, but guys are already working and
              there's already all specifications of a series of related features
              ready. I have personally seen it so I can guarantee that the guys are
              already working hard in order to provide this support, ok?'

              Additional Comment - Pedro Bojikian - Marketing Assistant - Microsoft Brazil:
              '[I'd just like] to comment that we're gonna make available and it is
              already being translated by the engineering team from USA [a document
              about] this debate, so this kind of comment only helps us stress the
              need for quicker updates.
              So, thanks for your contribution.'"

              video is here:
              http://www.w3c.br/cafecombrowser/

              Felipe Sanches
            • Francis Hemsher
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Felipe Sanches <felipe.sanches@...> wrote:

                > Answer - Murilo Curti - Software Engineer - Microsoft Brazil:
                > 'Yeah... in fact, your question is totally pertinent. The SVG is not
                > supported by Internet Explorer 8 - not totally - but we're already
                > implementing it. So there is already a whole work been done so that we
                > can have support for it as quickly as possible. Well... we don't have
                > a date, we don't have a deadline, but guys are already working and
                > there's already all specifications of a series of related features
                > ready. I have personally seen it so I can guarantee that the guys are
                > already working hard in order to provide this support, ok?'

                Thanks, Filipe, great news.

                Recently, I noted IE8 added a teensy bit of SVG support via their auto updates:
                If a user has the Adobe SVG Viewer addon, and calls an SVG file, it automatically includes an EMBED and calls the file from the embed.

                Francis
              • Felipe Sanches
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2009
                  Actually Pedro Bojikian position at Microsoft is as an "Internet
                  Explorer Product Manager"

                  Also, it is funny to think of "0% support in IE8" as being a
                  degenerate case of "not totally supported in IE8"...