Re: Can someone please help.

  • FrancisH
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 18, 2009
      There are examples of xml and svg at: http://www.mobiusPortal.com
      See example 2 - "Load an XML file as SVG Elements"

      Regards,
      Francis

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "xyz1332003" <xyz1332003@...> wrote:

      > > Hi XYZ,
      > > In IE with embed and ASV3:
      > > Once an svg file is loaded, it cannot be swapped out.
      > > What I do is load a base SVG file then call various XML files to write new svg elements in the base file. This may sound a bit daunting, but it is quite seamless.
      > > Regards,
      > > Francis
      > >

      > Thanks for your reply.
      >
      > It sounds like your saying image swapping is impossible in IE. I have not yet looked into using php to swap svg images.
      >
      > I am a bit new at this. I don't know how to begin to do what you are suggesting. I cannot find any tutorials online or in the svg books I have that show an example how to swap images.
      >
      > If you could show me an example I would appreciate it.
      > Thanks.

    • xyz1332003
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2009
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "FrancisH" <fhemsher@...> wrote:

        > There are examples of xml and svg at: http://www.mobiusPortal.com
        > See example 2 - "Load an XML file as SVG Elements"
        >
        > Regards,
        > Francis

        That web site tells me I must install the adobe viewer to see these examples. Do these examples only work with the Adobe viewer installed? Before I run that active X control I want to know if I can use these examples to create an image swapping web page that visitors can see without installing the Adobe viewer.

        I plan to create a site that people can visit without installing an Adobe viewer, Flash, Java or anything, because I don't think people are going to do that. I apologize for not being clear about that earlier. If visitors have to switch from IE to a better browser to view my site I will help them do that until Microsoft updates their attitude.

        Thanks for your advice.
      • fhemsher
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 18, 2009
          Well, xyz, welcome to limbo...

          --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "xyz1332003" <xyz1332003@...> wrote:

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "FrancisH" <fhemsher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There are examples of xml and svg at: http://www.mobiusPortal.com
          > > See example 2 - "Load an XML file as SVG Elements"
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Francis
          >
          > That web site tells me I must install the adobe viewer to see these examples. Do these examples only work with the Adobe viewer installed? Before I run that active X control I want to know if I can use these examples to create an image swapping web page that visitors can see without installing the Adobe viewer.
          >
          > I plan to create a site that people can visit without installing an Adobe viewer, Flash, Java or anything, because I don't think people are going to do that. I apologize for not being clear about that earlier. If visitors have to switch from IE to a better browser to view my site I will help them do that until Microsoft updates their attitude.
          >
          > Thanks for your advice.

        • Mark T
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 18, 2009
            Combine the graphic elements into one Inkscape file.
            Each graphic to be selectable in a separate layer.
            Create another layer named 'Background'.
            Drag the attached NavigatorElement.svg into this Background.
            It will appear as a small black circle.
            Save the file.
            Then use FFox 3.5ish to browse to http://eazscape.com/EazUp.
            Use an OpenID to gain upload access.
            Upload your file.
            An animation a will be added & the serving url generated, landing you at
            this.

            It will generate a navigating element from the layers.
            Selectable, exclusive or in combination.
            Smash on the red circles which are generated to get the hangDang.

            Let me know how you go!

            チェックアウトが、Jingle だ!
            It's a Jingle Out There!

          • xyz1332003
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 19, 2009
              Thanks for your help.

              Time permitting I will examine that example link you sent me. I first have to study up on xml. I am so new at this, even though I have heard the term xml mentioned a few times, I don't yet understand it.
            • FrancisH
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 19, 2009
                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "xyz1332003" <xyz1332003@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for your help.
                >
                > Time permitting I will examine that example link you sent me. I first have to study up on xml. I am so new at this, even though I have heard the term xml mentioned a few times, I don't yet understand it.

                Much luck on your journey. I think you will find XML and SVG as a natural marriage. Two comments:
                1. don't get hung up on namespaces.
                2. javascrit+SVG/XML DOM it much more intuitive and powerful than XSLT(don't go there).

                Francis
              • Doug Schepers
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 19, 2009
                  Hi, David-

                  Dailey, David P. wrote (on 9/18/09 12:10 PM):

                  > The question is intended for those you who might have knowledge of human
                  > factors literature in particular the psychophysics of Weber, Fechner and
                  > Stevens. I suspect some in the SVG community, broadly conceived, have
                  > occasion to collaborate in such circles. Yes there are individual
                  > differences, but in the case of CIE/LAB space the human psychophysics is
                  > well enough known scientifically since the 1930's to motivate much of
                  > modern color theory. And yes we can talk opponent processes versus
                  > retinal ganglia, but I do not see a need. By and large the central
                  > phenomena of color perception seem to be more neurologically homogeneous
                  > than heterogeneous. That is cultural difference exist, as do individual
                  > differences, but at the level of evaluating similarities between colors,
                  > the last research I was aware of showed the processing of color
                  > boundaries to be largely cross-culturally consistent.

                  According to Berlin/Kay and later color cognition universalists, it
                  seems so [1]. The range of color terms seems to develop pretty
                  consistently among different languages, but I'm not sure that that rules
                  out a weak Sapir-Whorf, where people can make a physical distinction,
                  but might not assign it meaningful relevance. But most people will at
                  least be able to tell the difference.

                  > This problem has interested me for a number of years but I've never made
                  > any real progress on it, even in its simplest version: human color
                  > perception.

                  You really should talk to Chris Lilley, who is frighteningly
                  knowledgeable about color theory and its application toward vision.

                  > So does anyone know of folks working on the issue who might have
                  > answers. Apparently there is someone at Penn State who works with color
                  > perception, the folks at the Color Institute mentioned here but I don't
                  > recall her name.

                  You might actually be thinking of Cynthia A. Brewer [1], who is known
                  for the "Brewer palette" and the "ColorBrewer" application [2], as
                  applied to GIS.

                  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term
                  [2] http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/
                  [3] http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/ColorBrewer/ColorBrewer_intro.html

                  Regards-
                  -Doug
                • ddailey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
                    Thanks Doug,

                    I think she may well have been the person the Color Institute folks referred me to. The questions I'm dealing with are pretty cool -- I'll tell you more off-list.

                    Dailey, David P. wrote (on 9/18/09 12:10 PM):

                    > The question is intended for those you who might have knowledge of human
                    > factors literature in particular the psychophysics of Weber, Fechner and
                    > Stevens. I suspect some in the SVG community, broadly conceived, have
                    > occasion to collaborate in such circles. Yes there are individual
                    > differences, but in the case of CIE/LAB space the human psychophysics is
                    > well enough known scientifically since the 1930's to motivate much of
                    > modern color theory. And yes we can talk opponent processes versus
                    > retinal ganglia, but I do not see a need. By and large the central
                    > phenomena of color perception seem to be more neurologically homogeneous
                    > than heterogeneous. That is cultural difference exist, as do individual
                    > differences, but at the level of evaluating similarities between colors,
                    > the last research I was aware of showed the processing of color
                    > boundaries to be largely cross-culturally consistent.

                    According to Berlin/Kay and later color cognition universalists, it
                    seems so [1]. The range of color terms seems to develop pretty
                    consistently among different languages, but I'm not sure that that rules
                    out a weak Sapir-Whorf, where people can make a physical distinction,
                    but might not assign it meaningful relevance. But most people will at
                    least be able to tell the difference.

                    > This problem has interested me for a number of years but I've never made
                    > any real progress on it, even in its simplest version: human color
                    > perception.

                    You really should talk to Chris Lilley, who is frighteningly
                    knowledgeable about color theory and its application toward vision.

                    > So does anyone know of folks working on the issue who might have
                    > answers. Apparently there is someone at Penn State who works with color
                    > perception, the folks at the Color Institute mentioned here but I don't
                    > recall her name.

                    You might actually be thinking of Cynthia A. Brewer [1], who is known
                    for the "Brewer palette" and the "ColorBrewer" application [2], as
                    applied to GIS.

                    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term
                    [2] http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/
                    [3] http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/ColorBrewer/ColorBrewer_intro.html

                    Regards-
                    -Doug

                  • alex
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 20, 2009
                      FrancisH wrote:
                      > 2. javascrit+SVG/XML DOM it much more intuitive and powerful than
                      > XSLT(don't go there).

                      Well, *you* can stay in the 20th Century if you want to.