Page to page linking question

  • beo.wolfe
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2009
      Hi Guys,

      I am working with a few large svg files and I was wondering how (if its at all possible) to click on one link in and have it take you to a position on the second?

      Example, the two svgs are index.svg and a large map.svg. The index would have a list of locations and I would like to click on "Bob's Popcorn Stand and Weasle Emporium" on the index page and when the mag.svg opens it does so with the viewbox centered around Bob's.

      I have tried targeting different spots using #veiw but that only seems to work if the link is in the same SVG I am navigating around in.

      Any suggestions?
    • Peter Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2009
        You can link to a view in another file, or you can specify the viewBox on the link itself.

        You may have already found this, but this link shows how it works in one file. From my testing, the view/viewbox works (in Google Chrome) when linking to an external file.http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/linking-view-BE-04.svg#rect-view

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
          Hi beo.wolfe,

          > I am working with a few large svg files and I was wondering how (if
          > its at all possible) to click on one link in and have it take you to
          > a position on the second?
          [...]
          > I have tried targeting different spots using #veiw but that only
          > seems to work if the link is in the same SVG I am navigating around
          > in.

          > Any suggestions?

          As Peter has stated, you may use the link hash (portion that follows the cardinal character, '#') to link into SVG content [1]. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be widely supported by implementations yet... :-|

          Hope this helps,
          Helder

          [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#ViewElement
        • beo.wolfe
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
            --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Thompson <plthompson2004@...> wrote:

            > You can link to a view in another file, or you can specify the viewBox on the link itself.
            >
            > You may have already found this, but this link shows how it works in one file. From my testing, the view/viewbox works (in Google Chrome) when linking to an external file.http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/linking-view-BE-04.svg#rect-view
            > --- On Tue, 8/25/09, beo.wolfe <johnasebok@...> wrote:

            I try this and nothing happens... whether I use any of these following links it displays the same view box.

            http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/linking-view-BE-04.svg#ellipse-view

            or

            http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/linking-view-BE-04.svg#circle-view

            I am using IE and adobe SVG viewer... and seeing most people use IE and the adobe viewer I kinda need it to work for that :/
          • beo.wolfe
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
              --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "heldermagalhaes" <helder.magalhaes@...> wrote:

              > Hi beo.wolfe,
              >

              > > I am working with a few large svg files and I was wondering how (if
              > > its at all possible) to click on one link in and have it take you to
              > > a position on the second?
              > [...]
              > > I have tried targeting different spots using #veiw but that only
              > > seems to work if the link is in the same SVG I am navigating around
              > > in.
              >
              > > Any suggestions?
              >
              > As Peter has stated, you may use the link hash (portion that follows the cardinal character, '#') to link into SVG content [1]. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be widely supported by implementations yet... :-|
              >

              > Hope this helps,
              > Helder
              >

              > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#ViewElement

              ARGGGGG!!! I download Google Chrome and it works perfectly!!! But I still have my orginal problem - very few people use Chrome, most everyone uses IE. Anyone knwo how to get this to work in stupid IE?
            • Bradley Neuberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2009
                This is something I'd love to support eventually in SVG Web (
                http://code.google.com/p/svgweb). I'm a hypertext geek and like that you can
                target specific elements in SVG. However, we have other pressing things to
                implement and do before that. If you know ActionScript/Flash I'd love to
                have a volunteer implement this!