i have a problem with text function on SVG images for firefox

  • oliver.cortinas
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      I have some engines diagrams in SVG and when i look on IE everything is ok, but when i use FF3 i only see the image and not the text, i think this issue is related to the text functions, anyone knows if this is solved or have some way to solve it?
    • G. Wade Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 18:18:44 -0000
        "oliver.cortinas" <olivercortinas@...> wrote:

        > I have some engines diagrams in SVG and when i look on IE everything
        > is ok, but when i use FF3 i only see the image and not the text, i
        > think this issue is related to the text functions, anyone knows if
        > this is solved or have some way to solve it?

        One issue I remember with porting SVG from IE (and Batik) to FF
        relating to text has to do with the font sizing. FF requires units, and
        the others don't. This caused several of my apps to be much uglier
        because the text defaulted their sizes.

        I also remember that FF is stricter in it's handling of paths. (Some of
        the others allow commas where the spec says they shouldn't be.)

        HTH,
        G. Wade
        --
        Systems develop goals of their own the instant they come into being.
        -- John Gall
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2009
          Hi oliver,

          > I have some engines diagrams in SVG and when i look on IE

          I'm assuming you are using IE+ASV...

          > but when i use FF3 i only see the image and not the text,
          > i think this issue is related to the text functions,

          Can you provide a small SVG snippet containing a "faulty" text portion?

          > anyone knows if this is solved or have some way to solve it?

          As G. Wade has hinted, Firefox is a bit strict (and also a bit limited) in terms of text handling (compared to some implementations). Stating which Firefox version you are attempting with might help also (there were substantial improvements in 3.0 and 3.5, for example).

          Hope this helps,
          Helder