SVG Open call for participation ("SVG coming of age", at Google Mountain View)

  • steltenpower
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2009
      The 7th international conference on Scalable Vector Graphics will
      take place from October 2-4, 2009, in Mountain View, California,
      hosted by Google at the Crittenden Campus. At this conference you can
      learn about subjects varying from specialized technical
      visualizations to interactive multimedia art. On the program there
      are presentations, beginner and advanced level workshops, and the
      opportunity to meet people from the SVG community, industry and the
      W3C SVG Working Group.

      The SVG Open 2009 organizing committee is looking for contributors
      presenting a paper or teaching a course. Presenters are asked to
      submit an extended abstract in English with an approximate length of
      400 to 800 words by May 15 to http://www.svgopen.org/. The abstracts
      are reviewed by a reviewing committee and presenters will be informed
      about acceptance on or before June 26. If your abstract is accepted,
      you will be asked to submit your full paper by August 31, according
      to instructions that will be sent to you. Accepted abstracts, papers
      and presentations will be published in web proceedings.

      Following is a list of potential presentation topics:

      * Mobile (handheld, in-car) Solutions
      * SVG Authoring Tools
      * Publishing and Printing with SVG
      * SVG Text and Internationalization
      * Accessibility Issues with SVG
      * Location-based Services
      * Business Cases and Case Studies
      * Workflow for Creating and Using SVG
      * SVG and Digital Television
      * Graphic Design with SVG
      * SVG for Webmapping and Online GIS/GML
      * SVG for Multimedia Presentations
      * Server-side SVG Generators and Manipulators
      * SVG Authoring Techniques
      * SVG with Other Web Standards (e.g., HTML, XSLT)
      * Interactivity and Scripting
      * GUI Frameworks for Web Applications
      * File Format Conversion
      * SVG Wow!

      Though we already have a super facility for most of the conference
      including of course 'normal' presentations, we are still
      investigating a venue for holding workshops and courses. At the
      moment we cannot guarantee that courses can be held. Nevertheless,
      since courses and workshops had always been popular at past SVG Open
      conferences we will do our best to find a suitable venue. Potential
      course instructors are asked to submit a course outline by May 15.
      The outlines will be reviewed by a committee and instructors will be
      informed about acceptance on or before June 26. Accepted course
      instructors will receive a free conference pass and admission to the
      dinner event. Accepted course outlines will be published as course
      descriptions in the program. Therefore they should be directed at
      those who might register for the course rather than the reviewers.
      Courses are 150 minutes in length, scheduled for the morning and
      afternoon at the day before or after the main conference. We are
      interested in proposals for both beginner courses and advanced
      courses to cater to the diverse interests of all conference
      attendees. Here is a list of topics of potential interest for
      courses. Feel free to either volunteer for one of these or propose
      your own topic.

      * Introduction to SVG
      * SVG Authoring Techniques
      * Creating Mobile SVG content