How do you fight ignorance?

  • Richard Pearman
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
      A certain webcomics list rejected my web comic because:

      >Hi, at this time we're rejecting the Pixel Palaces submission to the WebComic Planet list.

      When viewing your comic's site it was confusing. The site requested we downloaded various .svga images and things that normal browsers can not view.

      I see that you request people to use Opera which i'm guessing your on a Mac and don't know that there are file extensions that other browsers cannot interpret.

      There was also no valid form of navigation through the comic, to the point I couldnt find it.>

      ".svga" files! He thinks I work on Mac because I suggested (not request - this is one of several options) the use of Opera! I think this guy ignored my instructions (on the splash screen with apropriate links!) about how to view the site and just thought that if he couldn't see anything, nobody would be able to! What do you do about jerks like this?

      I did try replying and correcting him but haven't had a reply.

      Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
      The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
      Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
      South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008
    • Jayne De Sesa
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
        This person is beyond ignorant. How about finding out who the CEO is and calling him/her directly?

        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pearman" <richard@...> wrote:

        > A certain webcomics list rejected my web comic because:
        >
        > >Hi, at this time we're rejecting the Pixel Palaces submission to the WebComic Planet list.
        >
        > When viewing your comic's site it was confusing. The site requested we downloaded various .svga images and things that normal browsers can not view.
        >
        > I see that you request people to use Opera which i'm guessing your on a Mac and don't know that there are file extensions that other browsers cannot interpret.
        >
        > There was also no valid form of navigation through the comic, to the point I couldnt find it.>
        >
        > ".svga" files! He thinks I work on Mac because I suggested (not request - this is one of several options) the use of Opera! I think this guy ignored my instructions (on the splash screen with apropriate links!) about how to view the site and just thought that if he couldn't see anything, nobody would be able to! What do you do about jerks like this?
        >
        > I did try replying and correcting him but haven't had a reply.
        >
        > Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
        > The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
        > Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
        > South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008

      • Sayed Arian Kooshesh
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
          you poop in a box.

          you mail it to them.

          you say, this is how you make me feel with your ignorance .

          you move out of state.

          On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Jayne De Sesa <jdesesa@...>wrote:

          > This person is beyond ignorant. How about finding out who the CEO is and
          > calling him/her directly?
          >

          > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com <svg-developers%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Richard Pearman" <richard@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > A certain webcomics list rejected my web comic because:
          > >
          > > >Hi, at this time we're rejecting the Pixel Palaces submission to the
          > WebComic Planet list.
          > >
          > > When viewing your comic's site it was confusing. The site requested we
          > downloaded various .svga images and things that normal browsers can not
          > view.
          > >
          > > I see that you request people to use Opera which i'm guessing your on a
          > Mac and don't know that there are file extensions that other browsers cannot
          > interpret.
          > >
          > > There was also no valid form of navigation through the comic, to the
          > point I couldnt find it.>
          > >
          > > ".svga" files! He thinks I work on Mac because I suggested (not request -
          > this is one of several options) the use of Opera! I think this guy ignored
          > my instructions (on the splash screen with apropriate links!) about how to
          > view the site and just thought that if he couldn't see anything, nobody
          > would be able to! What do you do about jerks like this?
          > >
          > > I did try replying and correcting him but haven't had a reply.
          > >
          > > Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
          > > The next stage in the evolution of web comics:
          > http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
          > > Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
          > > South Alberta Cactus and succulent society:

          Extreme Knowledge is not something for which he programs a computer but for
          which his computer is programming him.

          -Wozniak

        • Charles McCathieNevile
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
            On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:59:21 +0100, Jayne De Sesa <jdesesa@...>
            wrote:

            > This person is beyond ignorant. How about finding out who the CEO is and
            > calling him/her directly?

            Personally I find that avoiding saying things like "ignorant" about people
            is helpful in showing them something they didn't know about, or clarifying
            something they may have misunderstood. This approach also avoids me having
            to admit when I have explained things badly.

            It doesn't solve the problem on its own, and sometimes I just don't bother
            solving the problem. Some people really don't want to know, and I can't
            force them to care about the same things as me. But it often helps. For
            me, anyway.

            just my 2c worth

            cheers

            Chaals

            --
            Charles McCathieNevile Opera Software, Standards Group
            http://my.opera.com/chaals Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
              Sadly, most windows/IE users *are* going to assume that if they can't
              see your content the problem is at your end. Majority rules, and IE is
              still the most common browser out there (unfortunately, though FF is
              rapidly gaining on them).

              OTOH, I have to agree with some of what he says. Your site is quite
              confusing to look at, and it isn't at all clear how to navigate it.

              Most people on this list will have had to deal with guiding people
              through the process of installing the ASV plugin. If you really want
              people to look at your SVG content you need to give them clear steps
              to follow to install the plug-in (or recommend Firefox, Safari, Opera
              any of whose SVG implementations work for your content), and you need
              to make them confident that it's worth doing. At the moment your front
              page really gives me no indication as to what I might find within.

              Also, your comic crashes Safari. :-/ I know you probably don't care
              about that, but I am a Mac user... :-)

              regards

              Guy

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23, 2009

                --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@...> wrote:

                > Sadly, most windows/IE users *are* going to assume that if they can't
                > see your content the problem is at your end. Majority rules, and IE is
                > still the most common browser out there (unfortunately, though FF is
                > rapidly gaining on them).

                How come Flash is so popular as that also requiers a plug-in? Unfortunately the latest version of Firefox is very buggy and doesn't do a good job of displaying my comic. I think this is because it tries to impliment filters but does it badly. Hopefully the next version will be better.

                > OTOH, I have to agree with some of what he says. Your site is quite
                > confusing to look at, and it isn't at all clear how to navigate it.

                Can you be more specific about this. Just saying that it's "confusing" isn't really helpful when trying to figure out how to improve it. I've also found that people have complained about my work being confusing and then something more confusing has become very popular. I think that if you simplify things to much they can become boring.

                > Most people on this list will have had to deal with guiding people
                > through the process of installing the ASV plugin. If you really want
                > people to look at your SVG content you need to give them clear steps
                > to follow to install the plug-in (or recommend Firefox, Safari, Opera
                > any of whose SVG implementations work for your content),

                The splash screen has a message warning of needing special content with links to the download sites (which should have their own instructions) and a link to a page which explains things in simple terms and has a link to a page with more detailed information. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it!

                The front page (http://www.pixelpalaces.com/dk/) has an exciting and ominous looking picture featuring some characters from the comic with the following link underneath: "Acition and adventure as a new breed of superheros battle evil in a future universe of weird nanotechnology and terrifying aliens!. This comic actually looks something like the above picture!" Many web comics have a colour splash screen in a realistic style and then have ropy line drawings! This comic isn't like that! Again, I'm not sure how much clearer I can make things!

                > Also, your comic crashes Safari. :-/ I know you probably don't care
                > about that, but I am a Mac user... :-)

                Actually I do care about this. AFAIK (and please corect me if I'm wrong), only parts 7 and 8 crash Safari (and get an error message in Google Chrome). I beleive the problem is a bug in Webkit that makes it unable to render files which have clipPath elements with more than one use element referencing path elements. I'm working to correct this (part 7 is nealy done).

                Richard Pearman http://www.pixelpalaces.com/
                The next stage in the evolution of web comics: http://www.onlinecomics.net/pages/details/listing.php?comicID=4415
                Read my Helium articles: http://www.helium.com/users/212199
                South Alberta Cactus and succulent society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20360241008
              • Jake B
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2009
                  I can't seem to connect to your site. Is the server down?

                  Jake

                • Robert Longson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 23, 2009
                    --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pearman" <richard@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Guy Morton <guy@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sadly, most windows/IE users *are* going to assume that if they can't
                    > > see your content the problem is at your end. Majority rules, and IE is
                    > > still the most common browser out there (unfortunately, though FF is
                    > > rapidly gaining on them).
                    >
                    > How come Flash is so popular as that also requiers a plug-in? Unfortunately the latest version of Firefox is very buggy and doesn't do a good job of displaying my comic. I think this is because it tries to impliment filters but does it badly. Hopefully the next version will be better.

                    Unlikely. If you want the next version of Firefox to be better you need to produce reduced testcases and raise them as bugs in bugzilla. There are very few known bugs in filters in Firefox, although there are a few missing features.

                    Best regards

                    Robert
                  • Richard Pearman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009

                      Another one of my problems is that my hosting company (which used to be good) has become very unreliable of late. My site seems to be down a lot (I get a few hits most days so pressumably it's up some of the time most days) and sometimes when it is up, cgi scripts don't work. I've tried emailing my hosting company, which seems to be the only way to contact them but they don't respond so I'm not sure even this works. I'm starting to suspect everybodie's died or left and didn't switch the computers off.

                      Anybody know any good SVG friendly Canadian hosting companies?

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jake B <otakuj462@...> wrote:

                      > I can't seem to connect to your site. Is the server down?
                      >
                      > Jake
                    • Jake B
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                        They're not Canadian, but I use Dreamhost <http://dreamhost.com/>. They're