Re: Selecting browser specific elements with XSLT

  • Helder Magalhães
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hi Manfred,

      > I would assume that many fallback solutions for SVG are
      > implemented with JavaScript (please correct me).

      If you are mixing SVG within XHTML, then I'm also not familiar with better alternatives, at least for now. Ideas and/or pointers, anyone? By the way, I've noticed a recent related thread [1] at the www-svg mailing list. ;-)

      While using SVG content in separate containers, than you can statically specify a fallback. For example (pseudo-markup, not a functional sample):

      ...(X)HTML markup...
      <object type="image/svg+xml" ...>
      alternate content such as an image and/or (textual) instructions on how to install a plug-in (or switch browser), link to page with more details, etc.
      </object>
      ...(X)HTML markup...

      This will degrade gracefully, at least in most (all?) know browsers. More information available in a previous post [1] (and in several ones scattered around the mailing list).

      Hope this helps,
      Helder Magalhães