More on WebKit, CSS Animation and SVG

  • Harry Underwood
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2009
      Dean Jackson on the WebKit-Dev mailing list says that interaction between
      SVG and Apple's proposed CSS modules is currently being planned.
      http://www.nabble.com/Re:-CSS-Animations-and-SVG-p22233142.html
      Rayne

    • ddailey
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2009
        Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

        Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?

        I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview between it and SMIL.

        regards
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
          I can't find much through Google except through WebKit's blog (maybe look
          through their planet aggregator?), but they're currently discussing things
          on both www-style and www-svg, with Dave Hyatt from Apple joining in.
          http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0032.html
          http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0678.html

          Harry

          On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM, ddailey <ddailey@...> wrote:

          > Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
          >
          > Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?
          >
          > I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview
          > between it and SMIL.
          >
          > regards
          > David

        • Harry Underwood
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
            Oh, and Erik Dahlström from Opera as well in a separate cross-post thread.
            http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0034.html

            Hopefully, some new ideas can come out of this discussion.

            Harry

            On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Harry Underwood <raynenamibia@...>wrote:

            > I can't find much through Google except through WebKit's blog (maybe look
            > through their planet aggregator?), but they're currently discussing things
            > on both www-style and www-svg, with Dave Hyatt from Apple joining in.
            > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0032.html
            > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0678.html
            >
            > Harry
            >

            > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM, ddailey <ddailey@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
            >>
            >> Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?
            >>
            >> I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview
            >> between it and SMIL.
            >>
            >> regards
            >> David

          • Doug Schepers
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
              Hi, Folks-

              There are actually a few specs that the CSS WG and SVG WG are
              collaborating on:

              Transforms

              CSS 2D Transforms Module Level 3
              http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-2d-transforms/

              CSS 3D Transforms Module Level 3
              http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-3d-transforms/

              Animations & Transitions

              CSS Animations Module Level 3
              http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-animations/

              CSS Transitions Module Level 3
              http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transitions/

              You'll notice that one of the editors is Dean "dino" Jackson, the
              erstwhile W3C Team Contact for the SVG WG, who now works for Apple. He
              is very aware of the SVG functionality, and there is good faith between
              the groups to make sure that these techs work together well, whether
              used in any combination of CSS, SVG, or HTML.

              I personally see this as a potentially big win. It means that
              declarative animation will be more widely implemented, and that authors
              could use CSS for simpler animations, while still being able to use SMIL
              for more complex ones. Most people are already familiar with CSS, so
              this will give them a good introduction to declarative animation.

              As for transforms, we anticipate that the functionality and syntax will
              be essentially similar, though we don't know for sure yet what
              differences there might be. It's still early stages for all of this.

              Oh, and yes, in case you didn't know it, this does mean that SVG will be
              adding non-affine transformations. We usually refer to them as
              "perspective transforms" or "2.5D transforms" or sometimes (a bit less
              accurately) "3D transforms". You can read our editor's draft here:
              http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/transforms/SVGTransforms.html

              It will be interesting to hear your feedback on any of this.

              Regards-
              -Doug

              ddailey wrote (on 2/26/09 8:26 PM):
              > Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
              >
              > Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?
              >
              > I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview between it and SMIL.
              >
              > regards
              > David

            • Jon Ferraiolo
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
                Hi Doug,
                It seems I don't subscribe to www-svg or www-css (or whatever the lists
                are), so I'll respond here. I have seen some discussion about how SVG's
                animations are problematic because not all of SVG's features are expressed
                as CSS properties. For example, 'x', 'y', 'width', 'height' and
                'transform'. Why not just change the SVG spec (1.1.1?) to make them into
                (non-inheritable) properties? Implementations of SVG that supports SMIL
                have to unify attributes and properties anyway in order to hook into the
                animation engine. In the early days of the SVG WG when we decided which
                things would be properties and which would be attributes, most of us didn't
                really have strong convictions behind those distinctions.

                Jon

                Doug Schepers
                <doug@...
                Sent by: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
                svg-developers@ya cc
                hoogroups.com
                Subject
                Re: [svg-developers] More on
                02/27/2009 01:06 WebKit, CSS Animation and SVG
                PM

                Please respond to
                svg-developers@ya
                hoogroups.com

              • Bradley Neuberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
                  It's exciting to see the CSS Animation work and SVG/SMIL come together! I
                  agree with Doug that the CSS Animations will be more approachable for some
                  developers and for easier animations, with the ability to go into SMIL for
                  more advanced animation. At the end of the day they should all plug into the
                  same animation engine under the covers.

                  On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > be essentially similar, though we don't know for sure yet what
                  > differences there might be. It's still early stages for all of this.
                  >
                  > Oh, and yes, in case you didn't know it, this does mean that SVG will be
                  > adding non-affine transformations. We usually refer to them as
                  > "perspective transforms" or "2.5D transforms" or sometimes (a bit less
                  > accurately) "3D transforms". You can read our editor's draft here:
                  > http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/transforms/SVGTransforms.html
                  >
                  > It will be interesting to hear your feedback on any of this.
                  >
                  > Regards-
                  > -Doug
                  >
                  > ddailey wrote (on 2/26/09 8:26 PM):
                  > > Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
                  > >
                  > > Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?
                  > >
                  > > I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview

                • Doug Schepers
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
                    Hi, Jon-

                    Jon Ferraiolo wrote (on 2/27/09 4:34 PM):
                    > Hi Doug,
                    > It seems I don't subscribe to www-svg or www-css (or whatever the lists
                    > are), so I'll respond here. I have seen some discussion about how SVG's
                    > animations are problematic because not all of SVG's features are expressed
                    > as CSS properties.

                    Interesting. You have a pointer handy?

                    >For example, 'x', 'y', 'width', 'height' and
                    > 'transform'. Why not just change the SVG spec (1.1.1?) to make them into
                    > (non-inheritable) properties? Implementations of SVG that supports SMIL
                    > have to unify attributes and properties anyway in order to hook into the
                    > animation engine. In the early days of the SVG WG when we decided which
                    > things would be properties and which would be attributes, most of us didn't
                    > really have strong convictions behind those distinctions.

                    Yeah, I've been talking about that with some of the SVG WG, as well.

                    At the very least, I think it's an idea to explore; I don't know,
                    offhand, what problems that would cause, if any. Name clashes with CSS
                    properties? Syntax incompatibilities? I'd expect most of that could be
                    resolved pretty easily.

                    There have been times, albeit few, that I've wanted to style things like
                    width and height, to synchronize multiple elements (for example). Since
                    so many people are already used to CSS, it might be an easier
                    introduction for them if they could do that instead of using attributes.
                    (FWIW, I think that would lead to much code-ugliness, but there you go.)

                    There are some interesting possibilities this opens up, as well. For
                    example, @width and @height don't apply to <ellipse>... but they could;
                    @rx and @ry could be derived from @width and @height, and that may make
                    it easier to apply to different element types. But maybe that's going
                    too far.

                    As for when or where this might happen, I expect that we'll be treating
                    it in SVG 2.0, which we've already started on.

                    Regards-
                    -Doug
                  • Samuel Dagan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                      Hi folks,

                      I was unaware of the www-svg team development of 3D. Thank you Doug
                      for the information! In my online calculus course
                      http://mathanimated.com/
                      I had to script 3D rotations and to project them to the SVG x-y plane.
                      An orthogonal projection (without perspective) was sufficient for my
                      needs.

                      One good example could be seen (without any registration) at
                      http://mathanimated.com/free/chapter03/p0102/paraboloid.svg
                      with Firefox3, Opera9.5 and even with IE+ASV. It required a none
                      trivial scripting, and I hope that in less than a couple of years the
                      SVG developers will have an easier life. Here are some interesting points:

                      1. First everything is rotated about the x-axis in a way that the new
                      y and z axes are kept rigid with the paraboloid. This rotation shows
                      also the projections of the parabolas (quadratic Bezier paths).
                      2. Next there is an interactive rotation about the previously obtained
                      z-axis. The projections of the parabolas are also seen.
                      3. In the next stage, disks of tangent planes are shown. The discs are
                      projected on the SVG plane as ellipses with different small radii and
                      different slopes of the large equal sized diameters.

                      Cheers, Samy

                      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Doug Schepers <doug@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Folks-
                      > Oh, and yes, in case you didn't know it, this does mean that SVG
                      will be
                      > adding non-affine transformations. We usually refer to them as
                      > "perspective transforms" or "2.5D transforms" or sometimes (a bit less
                      > accurately) "3D transforms". You can read our editor's draft here:
                      > http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/transforms/SVGTransforms.html
                      >
                      > It will be interesting to hear your feedback on any of this.
                      >
                      > Regards-
                      > -Doug
                    • ddailey
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                        Yes, I concur with Samy about the utility of such things. It will make people's lives simpler by allowing some of what would otherwise have to be handled with script to be handled more declaratively.

                        I had a chance to look at the CSS stuff for 2D and 3D (haven't gotten to the animation stuff yet) and it looks just like what one would want to have given a natural extension of the SVG stuff into CSS and a natural extension of the SVG transforms into 3D. I like the idea of having access to some of the power of SVG in HTML and CSS seems like a natural place to put some of that.

                        One thing that I have thought for some time is that for some users of SVG it would be nice to have transform operations that allow us to fix certain points by their "cognitive handles" rather than their Cartesian ones.

                        For example, instead of rotate(90, x, y) where we have to know what (x,y) we want why not rotate(90, center) where center is defined as the geographic center (the bivariate mean) of the curve or rotate (90, bcenter) where bcenter would be the center of the bounding box enclosing the curve.

                        Likewise for distortions and the like: allow the user to define an edge or a set of three points, or even a set of four points (as in http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/clipdrag12.svg), that will remain fixed and then also allow them to specify where the remaining point set will go. What I have in mind is sort of like using the two-point equation for a line rather than the slope intercept. slope intercept might be easier for the programmer; two-point might be easier for the designer.

                        I'm thinking here of the GUI that Photoshop gives for distorting things. I think the perspective projection matrix in the 3D spec is a step in the direction I'm thinking, but there might be more intuitive interfaces for those who hand code.

                        Other than that, yeah! Looks great! Am anxious to look into the animation stuff too.

                        Should we be cc-ing these discussions anywhere (like to the relevant working groups)?

                        I was unaware of the www-svg team development of 3D. Thank you Doug
                        for the information! In my online calculus course
                        http://mathanimated.com/
                        I had to script 3D rotations and to project them to the SVG x-y plane.
                        An orthogonal projection (without perspective) was sufficient for my
                        needs.

                        One good example could be seen (without any registration) at
                        http://mathanimated.com/free/chapter03/p0102/paraboloid.svg
                        with Firefox3, Opera9.5 and even with IE+ASV. It required a none
                        trivial scripting, and I hope that in less than a couple of years the
                        SVG developers will have an easier life. Here are some interesting points:

                        1. First everything is rotated about the x-axis in a way that the new
                        y and z axes are kept rigid with the paraboloid. This rotation shows
                        also the projections of the parabolas (quadratic Bezier paths).
                        2. Next there is an interactive rotation about the previously obtained
                        z-axis. The projections of the parabolas are also seen.
                        3. In the next stage, disks of tangent planes are shown. The discs are
                        projected on the SVG plane as ellipses with different small radii and
                        different slopes of the large equal sized diameters.

                        Cheers, Samy

                        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Doug Schepers <doug@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Folks-
                        > Oh, and yes, in case you didn't know it, this does mean that SVG
                        will be
                        > adding non-affine transformations. We usually refer to them as
                        > "perspective transforms" or "2.5D transforms" or sometimes (a bit less
                        > accurately) "3D transforms". You can read our editor's draft here:
                        > http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/transforms/SVGTransforms.html
                        >
                        > It will be interesting to hear your feedback on any of this.
                        >
                        > Regards-
                        > -Doug

                      • Charles McCathieNevile
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                          On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:18:10 +0100, Harry Underwood
                          <raynenamibia@...> wrote:

                          > Oh, and Erik Dahlström from Opera as well in a separate cross-post
                          > thread.
                          > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0034.html
                          >
                          > Hopefully, some new ideas can come out of this discussion.

                          Yeah. To be clear, we are asking these questions because we have
                          implemented this to figure out what is still not clear, and we think it
                          needs to be sorted out before we can consider this stuff mature enough for
                          anything more than experimental work.

                          cheers

                          Chaals

                          > Harry
                          >
                          > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Harry Underwood
                          > <raynenamibia@...>wrote:
                          >
                          >> I can't find much through Google except through WebKit's blog (maybe
                          >> look
                          >> through their planet aggregator?), but they're currently discussing
                          >> things
                          >> on both www-style and www-svg, with Dave Hyatt from Apple joining in.
                          >> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0032.html
                          >> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0678.html
                          >>
                          >> Harry
                          >>

                          >> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM, ddailey <ddailey@...>
                          >> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Very interesting, Harry. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
                          >>>
                          >>> Can someone recommend a place to read up on the CSS animation modules?
                          >>>
                          >>> I'm quite interested to know about this potential overlap of purview
                          >>> between it and SMIL.
                          >>>
                          >>> regards
                          >>> David

                          Charles McCathieNevile Opera Software, Standards Group
                          http://my.opera.com/chaals Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
                        • David Leunen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                            Hi SVG developers,

                            they're currently discussing things
                            > on both www-style and www-svg
                            > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Feb/0032.html
                            > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0678.html

                            On this thread one idea seems to show unanimity :

                            Dave Hyatt wrote :

                            > if you resize a window that contains a width:auto or width:100% block for
                            > example. Obviously you don't want to run a transition in that case

                            [...]

                            > The user probably doesn't want such changes to animate, either - when I
                            > resize a window, I expect everything to resize in sync.

                            Is it this so obvious for you developers too ? I'm curious to know your
                            opinions.
                            Setting a transition on a css property is like saying that property should
                            not react immediately, but should react "lazily" instead.
                            Do you expect a transitioned (e.g width) property to be lazy all the time
                            (even when the user resizes the window) or not ?