Re: need innerSVG type of functionality.

  • Frank Bruder
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6 8:45 AM
      I have written a Javascript function to get string representations of
      XML DOM nodes. A description and a link to the script can be found at
      <http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/FeSVGDoc/save.xhtml>
      It's an older project. There are some bugs. Namely, the escaping of
      special characters and of non-ascii characters is not correct in
      certain cases. But it mostly works. I've got a newer implementation of
      this function somewhere.

      Hope this helps. Regards
      Frank

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, narendra sisodiya
      <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

      > Deal all,
      > recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" --
      here is
      > a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,
      >
      > I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I
      need to
      > get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save
      svg ,
      > but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
      > suggestion,
      > my most of the files are seen at
      http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

      > --

      â"Œâ"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"
      > â"‚ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र
      सिसोदिया )
      > â"‚ R&D Engineer
      > â"‚ http://narendra.techfandu.org

      â""â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"˜

    • Robin Berjon
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6 8:46 AM
        On Feb 6, 2009, at 17:28 , narendra sisodiya wrote:
        > at on instance, i saw, somebody has used innerHTML over a div which
        > embed
        > svg image, and he is getting full svg as string, But in my case,
        > this is not
        > working, i am getting
        >
        > <embed src="blank.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="350px"
        > height="360px">

        I presume that you tried calling innerHTML on the object element, and
        naturally it returned its HTML content, which is the above.

        Two questions:

        - why don't you just put the SVG inline instead of pointing to it
        from object/embed? It should work in most browsers except IE (though
        you'll probably need to make your HTML document XHTML) and then you
        could probably just call innerHTML on whatever is around it.

        - if you want to stick with an external document, have you tried
        iframe instead of object/embed? It should work fine, and you might try
        to call yourIframe.contentDocument.innerHTML see if it won't return
        something you can use.

        --
        Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/
      • narendra sisodiya
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6 9:00 AM
          On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@...> wrote:

          > On Feb 6, 2009, at 17:28 , narendra sisodiya wrote:
          > > at on instance, i saw, somebody has used innerHTML over a div which
          > > embed
          > > svg image, and he is getting full svg as string, But in my case,
          > > this is not
          > > working, i am getting
          > >
          > > <embed src="blank.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="350px"
          > > height="360px">
          > >

          > I presume that you tried calling innerHTML on the object element, and
          > naturally it returned its HTML content, which is the above.
          >
          > Two questions:
          >
          > - why don't you just put the SVG inline instead of pointing to it
          > from object/embed? It should work in most browsers except IE (though
          > you'll probably need to make your HTML document XHTML) and then you
          > could probably just call innerHTML on whatever is around it.
          >
          > - if you want to stick with an external document, have you tried
          > iframe instead of object/embed? It should work fine, and you might try
          > to call yourIframe.contentDocument.innerHTML see if it won't return
          > something you can use.

          Thanks a Lot, I was not knowing about inline SVG (
          http://wiki.svg.org/Inline_SVG ). now i will change my code and will try
          both method... inline and iframe,,,,
          I used http://wiki.svg.org/Inter-Document_Communication to communicate
          between SVG and HTML functions, This document use embed tabs , so I used.
          --
          ┌─────────────────────────┐
          │ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )

        • ddailey
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6 12:13 PM
            I happened to notice the following text in http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html

            ---------------
            2.5.3 Dynamic markup insertion in XML
            In an XML context, the document.write() method must raise an INVALID_ACCESS_ERR exception.

            On the other hand, however, the innerHTML attribute is indeed usable in an XML context.
            ---------------

            Does that mean that all HTML5 compliant browsers will (if that document becomes accepted) support innerHTML in SVG?

            You'll recall that Adobe's SVG plugin implemented a .printNode method for that.

            <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

            > Deal all,
            > recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" --
            here is
            > a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,
            >
            > I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I
            need to
            > get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save
            svg ,
            > but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
            > suggestion,
            > my most of the files are seen at
            http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

            > --

            â"Œâ"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"
            > â"‚ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र
            सिसोदिया )

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7 7:56 AM
              2009/2/7 ddailey <ddailey@...>

              > I happened to notice the following text in
              > http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html

              my problem got solved , I was sending incorrect SVGRoot variable to function
              just use this function http://www.mecxpert.de/svg/domtree.html
              and call use this syntax to get a dynamic svg

              var str = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" standalone=\"no\"?> \
              <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN\" \
              \"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd\"> \n"
              str = str + SvgToString(SVGRoot );

              --
              ┌─────────────────────────┐

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8 8:23 AM
                On Feb 6, 2009, at 21:13 , ddailey wrote:
                > Does that mean that all HTML5 compliant browsers will (if that
                > document becomes accepted) support innerHTML in SVG?

                It's a long way away, but yes, I would expect that to be the case. In
                fact, I would expect all browsers that support innerHTML and SVG to
                support using them together soon, if they don't already (I haven't
                tested).

                --
                Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/