need innerSVG type of functionality.

  • narendra sisodiya
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
      Deal all,
      recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" -- here is
      a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,

      I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I need to
      get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save svg ,
      but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
      suggestion,
      my most of the files are seen at http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

      --
      ┌─────────────────────────┐
      │ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )

    • Robert Longson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
        --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, narendra sisodiya
        <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

        > Deal all,
        > recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" --
        here is
        > a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,
        >
        > I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I
        need to
        > get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save
        svg ,
        > but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
        > suggestion,
        > my most of the files are seen at
        http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

        For firefox you can use XMLSerializer and its serializeToString method
        per: https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Parsing_and_serializing_XML

        Best regards

        Robert.
      • narendra sisodiya
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
          I know about serialisation, But How can i get full SVG DOM.
          there are two javascript -- one in HTML document and other ECMAscript in
          svg.
          "SAVE" button will trigger ECMAfunction which return serialised SVG string,
          currently I am using

          SvgToString

          function from http://www.mecxpert.de/svg/domtree.html

          But for this, i need to apply this function on all svg elements one by one.
          i tried applying this function on SVG root element but failed to do that.
          is there any easy way to upload a modified SVG image to server.

          at on instance, i saw, somebody has used innerHTML over a div which embed
          svg image, and he is getting full svg as string, But in my case, this is not
          working, i am getting

          <embed src="blank.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="350px" height="360px">

          using innerHTML.

        • Frank Bruder
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
            I have written a Javascript function to get string representations of
            XML DOM nodes. A description and a link to the script can be found at
            <http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/FeSVGDoc/save.xhtml>
            It's an older project. There are some bugs. Namely, the escaping of
            special characters and of non-ascii characters is not correct in
            certain cases. But it mostly works. I've got a newer implementation of
            this function somewhere.

            Hope this helps. Regards
            Frank

            <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

            > Deal all,
            > recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" --
            here is
            > a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,
            >
            > I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I
            need to
            > get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save
            svg ,
            > but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
            > suggestion,
            > my most of the files are seen at
            http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

            > --

            â"Œâ"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"
            > â"‚ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र
            सिसोदिया )
            > â"‚ R&D Engineer
            > â"‚ http://narendra.techfandu.org

            â""â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"˜

          • Robin Berjon
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
              On Feb 6, 2009, at 17:28 , narendra sisodiya wrote:
              > at on instance, i saw, somebody has used innerHTML over a div which
              > embed
              > svg image, and he is getting full svg as string, But in my case,
              > this is not
              > working, i am getting
              >
              > <embed src="blank.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="350px"
              > height="360px">

              I presume that you tried calling innerHTML on the object element, and
              naturally it returned its HTML content, which is the above.

              Two questions:

              - why don't you just put the SVG inline instead of pointing to it
              from object/embed? It should work in most browsers except IE (though
              you'll probably need to make your HTML document XHTML) and then you
              could probably just call innerHTML on whatever is around it.

              - if you want to stick with an external document, have you tried
              iframe instead of object/embed? It should work fine, and you might try
              to call yourIframe.contentDocument.innerHTML see if it won't return
              something you can use.

              --
              Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/
            • narendra sisodiya
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@...> wrote:

                > On Feb 6, 2009, at 17:28 , narendra sisodiya wrote:
                > > at on instance, i saw, somebody has used innerHTML over a div which
                > > embed
                > > svg image, and he is getting full svg as string, But in my case,
                > > this is not
                > > working, i am getting
                > >
                > > <embed src="blank.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="350px"
                > > height="360px">
                > >

                > I presume that you tried calling innerHTML on the object element, and
                > naturally it returned its HTML content, which is the above.
                >
                > Two questions:
                >
                > - why don't you just put the SVG inline instead of pointing to it
                > from object/embed? It should work in most browsers except IE (though
                > you'll probably need to make your HTML document XHTML) and then you
                > could probably just call innerHTML on whatever is around it.
                >
                > - if you want to stick with an external document, have you tried
                > iframe instead of object/embed? It should work fine, and you might try
                > to call yourIframe.contentDocument.innerHTML see if it won't return
                > something you can use.

                Thanks a Lot, I was not knowing about inline SVG (
                http://wiki.svg.org/Inline_SVG ). now i will change my code and will try
                both method... inline and iframe,,,,
                I used http://wiki.svg.org/Inter-Document_Communication to communicate
                between SVG and HTML functions, This document use embed tabs , so I used.
                --
                ┌─────────────────────────┐
                │ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )
                │ R&D Engineer
                http://narendra.techfandu.org
                └─────────────────────────┘

              • ddailey
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 6, 2009
                  I happened to notice the following text in http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html

                  ---------------
                  2.5.3 Dynamic markup insertion in XML
                  In an XML context, the document.write() method must raise an INVALID_ACCESS_ERR exception.

                  On the other hand, however, the innerHTML attribute is indeed usable in an XML context.
                  ---------------

                  Does that mean that all HTML5 compliant browsers will (if that document becomes accepted) support innerHTML in SVG?

                  You'll recall that Adobe's SVG plugin implemented a .printNode method for that.

                  <narendra.sisodiya@...> wrote:

                  > Deal all,
                  > recently am trying my effort to make a "online svg editor" --
                  here is
                  > a demo -- http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/svg-editor.html ,
                  >
                  > I need to save dynamically created SVG image to server. for this, I
                  need to
                  > get SVG image as string in HTML javascript. I have implemented save
                  svg ,
                  > but only for path element. it is complex procedure so i need your
                  > suggestion,
                  > my most of the files are seen at
                  http://wiki.techfandu.org/eduvid/svg-edit/

                  > --

                  â"Œâ"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"€â"
                  > â"‚ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र
                  सिसोदिया )

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2009
                    2009/2/7 ddailey <ddailey@...>

                    > I happened to notice the following text in
                    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html

                    my problem got solved , I was sending incorrect SVGRoot variable to function
                    just use this function http://www.mecxpert.de/svg/domtree.html
                    and call use this syntax to get a dynamic svg

                    var str = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" standalone=\"no\"?> \
                    <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN\" \
                    \"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd\"> \n"
                    str = str + SvgToString(SVGRoot );

                    --
                    ┌─────────────────────────┐

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2009
                      On Feb 6, 2009, at 21:13 , ddailey wrote:
                      > Does that mean that all HTML5 compliant browsers will (if that
                      > document becomes accepted) support innerHTML in SVG?

                      It's a long way away, but yes, I would expect that to be the case. In
                      fact, I would expect all browsers that support innerHTML and SVG to
                      support using them together soon, if they don't already (I haven't
                      tested).

                      --
                      Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/