Looking for SVG GIS and Javascript references/demos

  • David Shi
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009

      I am trying to allow end users to interactively use SVG map of the UK.

      I am looking for best Javascript functions to do the following:

      1. onmouseover, the polygon gets highlighted by chaning its colour, and show the descriptive name of the polygon, e.g. London  (Perhaps, the Javascript function can obtain the data in SVG and display this).
      2. onmouseout, the polygon returns back to its orginal colour.
      3. onclick, a Javascript function will convert an element into a list or array of data, extract ID and a descriptive field data and put these into variables
      4. The reason why I wish to try onclick and obtain variables in variables is that these variables can be submited to server to generate queries.

      If you can send me some references or sample/demo SVG GIS format and Javascript functions, I should be grateful.

      I am trying to produce a demo to promote the prospect of SVG GIS.

      Regards.

    • ddailey
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2009
        I thinkyou'll find some of this strewn about here and there in different places. Maybe one of the packages like Dojo has a library like what you describe.

        Here's something that just handles the onmouseover onmouseout parts with some simple script

        http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/makeDragDrop.svg

        hope this helps

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
          David,

          Thanks.

          Suppose there is a lot of polygons.  Each polygon has an ID and descriptive attribute.
          I managed to have a Javascript to obtain a target's ID and descriptive attribute.  How to show up the text of attribute in a box?

          Regards.

          David