Re: stroke-setdasharray="none" causes problem with PDFXML/Mars

  • Andreas Neumann
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
      > I think it would strategically make sense if they developed an XML
      > version of PDF. It seems to me that currently XPS has a kind of
      > monopoly in that field, and I wouldn't be too certain it won't eat
      up
      > any of PDF's market share. As far as I know, XPS is more or less
      > home-brewn Microsoft technology. PDFXML is based on well
      established
      > standards (SVG, PDF, OpenType, ICC, PNG and JPEG), so in my eyes
      that
      > would make it far superior.

      yes, certainly. But as far as I know Adobe, they will push their own
      XML/Flash/Flex standard because they want to be in control of
      everything.

      > > Other companies and open source projects are now supporting SVG:
      > Inkscape, Opera,
      > > Webkit, Trolltech/QT, Mozilla, Google,
      > >

      > But are there any real life uses of SVG as a multi page print
      document
      > format? I know there is the SVG print draft, but are there viewers
      > (or other SVG applications) that support multi page SVG documents?

      no - they only printing workflow involving SVG that works currently
      is SVG in conjunction with XSL-FO. But it delivers to PDF, or
      multiple SVG files (one file per page). Most XSL-FO processors
      support SVG as an input format and some as an output format.

      > > please don't forget that many people have other
      > > PDF readers installed (Mac Preview, Okular/Document Viewer on
      Linux,
      > etc.) - those are
      > > very good PDF readers but not from Adobe and probably not
      > implementing most of the
      > > Adobe specific PDF extensions.
      > >

      > That's certainly true. I myself use a number of different PDF
      > viewers. I wouldn't rely on PDFXML being supported by other PDF
      > viewers than Adobe Reader. For distribution, the files can be
      > converted to traditional PDF. But I think that the format has the
      > potential and Adobe would have the necessary weight to establish it
      in
      > the market (if they only wanted).

      yes - if they wanted.

      Andreas
    • th_w@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
        Andreas, thanks for sharing your expert insight. Viele Grüße und
        vielen Dank!

        Thomas W.