Re: stroke-setdasharray="none" causes problem with PDFXML/Mars

  • th_w@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
      Andreas, thanks for you answer.

      --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"
      <a.neumann@...> wrote:

      > Have you tried on the Mars project site to get any feedback.

      Well, as I said, I mailed them but didn't get a reply (yet). It
      wouldn't hurt to try once more, though.

      > I personally wouldn't bet much on Adobe regarding SVG support. Since
      the Macromedia
      > merger there are hardly any SVG supporters left in the company.

      I think it would strategically make sense if they developed an XML
      version of PDF. It seems to me that currently XPS has a kind of
      monopoly in that field, and I wouldn't be too certain it won't eat up
      any of PDF's market share. As far as I know, XPS is more or less
      home-brewn Microsoft technology. PDFXML is based on well established
      standards (SVG, PDF, OpenType, ICC, PNG and JPEG), so in my eyes that
      would make it far superior.

      > Other companies and open source projects are now supporting SVG:
      Inkscape, Opera,
      > Webkit, Trolltech/QT, Mozilla, Google,

      But are there any real life uses of SVG as a multi page print document
      format? I know there is the SVG print draft, but are there viewers
      (or other SVG applications) that support multi page SVG documents?

      > please don't forget that many people have other
      > PDF readers installed (Mac Preview, Okular/Document Viewer on Linux,
      etc.) - those are
      > very good PDF readers but not from Adobe and probably not
      implementing most of the
      > Adobe specific PDF extensions.

      That's certainly true. I myself use a number of different PDF
      viewers. I wouldn't rely on PDFXML being supported by other PDF
      viewers than Adobe Reader. For distribution, the files can be
      converted to traditional PDF. But I think that the format has the
      potential and Adobe would have the necessary weight to establish it in
      the market (if they only wanted).

      Thomas W.
    • Andreas Neumann
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
        > I think it would strategically make sense if they developed an XML
        > version of PDF. It seems to me that currently XPS has a kind of
        > monopoly in that field, and I wouldn't be too certain it won't eat
        up
        > any of PDF's market share. As far as I know, XPS is more or less
        > home-brewn Microsoft technology. PDFXML is based on well
        established
        > standards (SVG, PDF, OpenType, ICC, PNG and JPEG), so in my eyes
        that
        > would make it far superior.

        yes, certainly. But as far as I know Adobe, they will push their own
        XML/Flash/Flex standard because they want to be in control of
        everything.

        > > Other companies and open source projects are now supporting SVG:
        > Inkscape, Opera,
        > > Webkit, Trolltech/QT, Mozilla, Google,
        > >

        > But are there any real life uses of SVG as a multi page print
        document
        > format? I know there is the SVG print draft, but are there viewers
        > (or other SVG applications) that support multi page SVG documents?

        no - they only printing workflow involving SVG that works currently
        is SVG in conjunction with XSL-FO. But it delivers to PDF, or
        multiple SVG files (one file per page). Most XSL-FO processors
        support SVG as an input format and some as an output format.

        > > please don't forget that many people have other
        > > PDF readers installed (Mac Preview, Okular/Document Viewer on
        Linux,
        > etc.) - those are
        > > very good PDF readers but not from Adobe and probably not
        > implementing most of the
        > > Adobe specific PDF extensions.
        > >

        > That's certainly true. I myself use a number of different PDF
        > viewers. I wouldn't rely on PDFXML being supported by other PDF
        > viewers than Adobe Reader. For distribution, the files can be
        > converted to traditional PDF. But I think that the format has the
        > potential and Adobe would have the necessary weight to establish it
        in
        > the market (if they only wanted).

        yes - if they wanted.

        Andreas
      • th_w@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
          Andreas, thanks for sharing your expert insight. Viele Grüße und
          vielen Dank!

          Thomas W.